Make a donation

Author Topic: **** Mk5GolfGTI.co.uk Needs You!! ****  (Read 63237 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
**** Mk5GolfGTI.co.uk Needs You!! ****
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »
removed
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:58:46 pm by richwig83 »

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: **** Mk5GolfGTI.co.uk Needs You!! ****
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »
First useful thing would prob be to set up a donation point, something like a paypal address perhaps? People can put some donations in then.

Forum owners / runners, distribute the stickers for the forum with a slight mark up so a percentage goes in to the forum pot?
Same for any other merchandise if possible? Not sure whos been doing these things before.

What sort of money are you talking about for a years hosting?
Ant

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:32:31 pm »
maybe a sponsered smile for John 0 :laugh:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
First useful thing would prob be to set up a donation point, something like a paypal address perhaps? People can put some donations in then.

Forum owners / runners, distribute the stickers for the forum with a slight mark up so a percentage goes in to the forum pot?
Same for any other merchandise if possible? Not sure whos been doing these things before.

What sort of money are you talking about for a years hosting?

We already have some merchanise and sticker sales running or in the pipeline but to be far these make very little money.

Costs are in the region of £600-£800 per year for the dedicated server.

If people are happy to directly contribute then we will sort a Paypal donation link  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »

I just dont think he could do it.  :laugh:

he would find it easier to do a marathon on his knees.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:45:17 pm »

I just dont think he could do it.  :laugh:

he would find it easier to do a marathon on his knees.

Fair enough, we'll just all send a tenner then :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 11:02:09 pm »
Cheers Gaz.  :drinking:

I dont know if anyone else is getting it, but the forum connection drops out at least 5 times a day for me.  :sad1:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:29 pm »

I dont know if anyone else is getting it, but the forum connection drops out at least 5 times a day for me.  :sad1:

That's just SteveP trying to stop you spamming too many threads :P

I know it may go against the original concept, but surely a commercial site sponsor would pay good money to advertise on a site with the volume of traffic that this forum gets? I personally would like the site to stay advert free, but if it helps pay the bills and keeps the site dependable and viable then it is something worth considering?

Why not have a word with Tabs on UKMKIV's and Zboyd on seatcupranet and see how they manage advertising and sponsorship?
Golf R gone.

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:41 pm »

Yep same as :smiley:

I know it may go against the original concept, but surely a commercial site sponsor would pay good money to advertise on a site with the volume of traffic that this forum gets? I personally would like the site to stay advert free, but if it helps pay the bills and keeps the site dependable and viable then it is something worth considering?

Why not have a word with Tabs on UKMKIV's and Zboyd on seatcupranet and see how they manage advertising and sponsorship?

I'd rather just send a tenner :smiley:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:11 pm »

Part of what makes this place great though is the nice atmosphere and being able to say what we want without having to worry about upsetting our sponsors.

We have 1500 members at present, and pretty much every night there is 100 on-line. If all of those 100 donated a tenner once a year that would cover the costs.
So i believe we can fund it ourselves without any sponsors.  :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:22 pm »

Me too Gaz.. £10 from me..  :happy2: That's £20 already..  :laugh:
Or even better some sort of fund raising meet?

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »
Don't know what i'd do with myself all day if this site wasn't about any more...  :signLOL:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »
Yep, I'm with tc, the regulars on here that aren't scared off by pulling out a tenner should be putting money in the pot

yes there will be people with 500+ posts paying any people with 50 not paying. But who cares??? I'm sure us 100 members get waaaay more use out it than a 10er

that's why i've always been happy to donate in the past, miglior aside.

I think to maintain the quality of forum we have all the long standing members need to dust off their paypal ;)

Another serious point needs making..... Robin should pay at least £100/ yr just cos he's robin and on here all the time

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:50:35 pm »
Ok I go on a Subaru forum and to get the full version of the site ie tech info and for sale sections they charge £2 a month or £15 for the year and it looks like it works and yes there are companies on the site but I think to view all the company stuff you pay the £2

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:25:43 am »
Think i agree with Hurdy,on this one ukmkiv do have buisness advertise on thier site but you hardly or not notice they are thier..its a open forum like on here-forum members have upset some sponsers of the site in the past but it hasn't affected it in any way