Make a donation

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 3  (Read 48366 times)

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 3
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 01:10:52 am »
i have them on my car for about 1 month. Before them i had PS2. They are awesome, i like the grip, i like the fact that they are good even when it's raining. With the PS2 i have some problems when it was wet outside. My next car will also have the PS3  :drinking:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:25 pm »
Am I right in thinking that the PS3's are asymmetric whereas the PS2's are directional?
As TonyD correctly stated - the original PS1s from the 1990s were directional - the PS2s (along with even Michelins 'poverty spec' Energy) from the early 2000s were both directional - long before Goodyear dipped their toe in the asymmetric water!  :P

In which case, being asymmetric they are bound to perform better whether in the wet or dry.
Do you know the real reasons why tyres are made in either symmetrical, directional, or asymmetrical? :wink:

Michelin also have recently launched what is promising to be an excellent road-legal trackday tyre which is asymmetric and dual compound -  :party: :party: :party: :party:
Again, TonyD is correct.

But you failed to realise that the PS2 (as well as the latest PS3) road tyres are also dual compound - again, at least 10 years ahead of Goodyear - whos F1 Asymmetrics are still just a single compound!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »
OK, own up time - I've had an axle set of PS3s for about four months now, with PS2s on 'tother axle.  The PS3s are as good as the best attributes of the PS2s, but the PS3s improve noticeably in a crucial area, namely stability.  With the PS2s, I could take a certain bend at 9mph, but with the 3s, same bend at 12mph. :wink:  They now not only stick to the road like sh!t to a blanket, they also have the granite-like stability of Conti Sport Contacts.  :star:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 07:03:31 pm »
^^^^
Here we go  :grin:

Something tells me I don't know the real reasons why tyre treads are made in symmetrical, directional, asymmetrical. Unless it's something to do with consumers preferring pretty looking treads.

All I know is that I have found the GY F1 rubber to be more confidence inspiring in the asymmetric format than the directional.

Do tell, and put me out of my misery.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:05:12 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
Ignoring all differences, the main reason I avoid directional stuff is because I like to rotate my wheels - thus getting even wear and replacing 4 in one shot. I don't like mixing types/depths/makes.
Sideways yo!

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »
I've had PS3's since March and can confirm that they are great in the wet.  I can 'feel' the road more with them as well (compared to my old potenzas), also on long drives on the motorway the difference in noise levels is incredible waaaaaay quieter!

All round very happy I just hope they last a while in terms of tread!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 07:19:09 pm »
I can say the PS3's are an awesome tyres for a average driver like me around the ring.

Two laps down this afternoon and the felt so much better than the PS2's last time out  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »
^^^^
Good to hear, Steve  :happy2:

Are they dual compound do you know? What tyres did you have before?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »
im yet to try them in the wet but initial feedback is excellent! even from brand new they have been very grippy, im very careful with new tyres as they normally need to be scrubbed in but i've struggled to get any wheel spin from these which is a revelation  :happy2:

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
Got some of these on order  :jumpmove:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:41 am »
Something tells me I don't know the real reasons why tyre treads are made in symmetrical, directional, asymmetrical.
Symmetrical tyres generally are for just peeps who want something 'black and round'.  :chicken:  Generally they are at the very bottom of the 'performance' attribute scales, and generally at the cheaper end of the spectrum.  Often fitted to small cars like Matiz, Yaris, Fox, Colt, Fabia, etc - and are generally never lower than an 80 profile (though no doubt someone will find some 60 series symmetrical tyre  :P).

Directionals, THE main reason why directionals were developed was tyre noise.  Most directionals will be able to maintain a continuous contact of one 'section' of rubber from the centre of the tread to the shoulder. This means that the tyre carcass can be made slightly weaker.  However, this then has a distinct disadvantage when the tread depth wears down - the tyres then become very unstable, especially over white lines/cats eyes/overbanding/ironworks, and even truck ruts.  Aside the reduction in road noise, directionals generally perform very well in straight lines - so all you drag-strip tarts might like them.  Big disadvantages with directionals are the shocking tendancy to aquaplane, especially when tread depths wear to even modest levels.  And directionals are NOT particularly good at cornering - despite what any die-hard GSD3 or Yokohama AVS Sport fan boys addicts may try and claim!

Asymmetrics are simply the the ultimate answer for cornering.  They don't suffer from aquaplaning in anywhere near like directionals are prone to.  Asymmetrics do generally need a slightly stiffer carcass across the tread area compared to directionals (and those who fail to use a sturdy enough carcass are generally shown up when the tyres have maximum tread > ie Pirelli).  Asymmetrics are generally much more consistent throughout their tread wear lifespan, and tyre manufacturers can elect to use two (or more) differing rubber compounds on the same asymmetric tyre (though the current fan-boy choice - the Goodyear F1 Asymm still does NOT use dual compounds).

Unless it's something to do with consumers preferring pretty looking treads.
Sadly, that is a well known issue.  I bet 99% of motorists think that if the tread pattern 'looks' good, then it will perform good.  This is probably the main reason why peeps still seem to think that directionals can out-perform asymmetrics.  :sad1:

All I know is that I have found the GY F1 rubber to be more confidence inspiring in the asymmetric format than the directional.
Exactly - I think that if you can get rid of any perceived prejudices over directional tread patterns - then asymmetrics (from any tyre manufacturer) will (or should, if they've done their homework properly) always win over their comparitorive <sp?> directional offering.

Do tell, and put me out of my misery.  :happy2:
Any help?  :smiley:

EDIT: fixed some spelling and incorrect wording.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:31:55 am by Teutonic_Tamer »
------

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 11:41:49 am »
Had these on for about 2 weeks now and they are leagues ahead of the Vredesteins I had on.

Dry performance is equal if not better. But in the wet these come into their own. As already mentioned they are a lot quieter on road noise

Best tyres I've had by far

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 11:45:54 am »
Ignoring all differences, the main reason I avoid directional stuff is because I like to rotate my wheels - thus getting even wear and replacing 4 in one shot.
OK, I won't disagree at all with wanting to even out tyre wear.  However, just to clarify, do you 'diagonally rotate'?  The reason I ask, is simply that for modern radial tyres (irrespective of symmetrical, directional or asymmetrical) - once fitted and 'scrubbed in', should not have its direction of rotation changed (except for spare tyre emergency use).  So the current advice from all the tyre manufacturers is simply to swap the front left with the rear left, etc, etc.

I don't like mixing types/depths/makes.
There isn't any real problems with having different makes/types/depths on differing axles.  But it is very important to keep axle sets matched.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:50 am »
^^^^
Good to hear, Steve  :happy2:

Are they dual compound do you know? What tyres did you have before?
Did you miss my reply in post #16?  :P

The PS2s were dual compound, and have been since their introduction (which was many years before the Goodyear F1 Asymmetics - which are NOT dual compound).  The latest PS3s are still dual compound.  :happy2:
------

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »
Fitted these yesterday, they are awesome! Miles better than the vredesteins and straight line grip is on par with my Hankooks, although cornering I can feel a big difference between the two but the side walls are very stiff on the Hankooks... Very pleased with them and will be getting another 2 when the vreds expire  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE