Make a donation

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 3  (Read 48589 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »
Anyone done a review on them yet?  :drinking:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline liver

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »
i had these fitted exactly a week ago, had them put all round for a reasonible price aswell

previously i had pirelli p zero, nero's on and the difference is huge, i personally would highly recommend them in both the dry and the wet and would have them again

i just searched on the net before purchasing to look at reviews

google is your friend

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:41:39 am »
For the love of god please dont mention any other brand of tyres in this particular thread. :grin:

Ducks for cover in the nuclear bunker.  :signLOL:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:30:05 am »
i had these fitted exactly a week ago, had them put all round for a reasonible price aswell

previously i had pirelli p zero, nero's on and the difference is huge, i personally would highly recommend them in both the dry and the wet and would have them again

google is your friend

Im just about to put these on mine and still have the neros on for 20k! despite what T_T says i have actually really enjoyed these tyres but am hoping for more from the PS3's, im hoping there is a difference as you say but ialso th they last well too when the best price i can find is £551.20 fully fitted on mytyres.co.uk

was hoping they would be on offer at costco by now but im very close to the limit so need to get them done ASAP

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline liver

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:16 am »

google is your friend

Im just about to put these on mine and still have the neros on for 20k! despite what T_T says i have actually really enjoyed these tyres but am hoping for more from the PS3's, im hoping there is a difference as you say but ialso th they last well too when the best price i can find is £551.20 fully fitted on mytyres.co.uk

was hoping they would be on offer at costco by now but im very close to the limit so need to get them done ASAP

i got mine fitted at costco for £559.81 i think something around that figure. Not sure about durability but like yourself im hoping thesy are good, i may have noticed a big difference due to running slicks on the front without noticing 

let us know what you think about them

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:52:22 am »
booked for fitting tomorrow, the guy is coming to my work place to do it for 544 all in  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »

google is your friend

Im just about to put these on mine and still have the neros on for 20k! despite what T_T says i have actually really enjoyed these tyres but am hoping for more from the PS3's,

I've never doubted the grip of Rossos (can't speak for Neros tho) - particularly in hard slow speed cornerning.  My real concern with Pirellis in general is that they have a much weaker carcass than their competators.  Now, the crux of this seems to be that the heavier the car - the worse they behave; and by the same ethos - on much lighter cars (say Polo, Saxo, Festa, Corsa, etc), this doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  The Golf GTI - being somewhat 'middling' in terms of weight - seems to fall in the middle of the spectrum of load issues.  However, on my heavyweight RS4 - the Rossos were truely shyte, and many other RS4 owners (particularly those who actually drive the car as <cough> intended) also reported similar issues and problems - including complete blowouts from total sidewall failure.  As direct comparison - the Pirellies lasted just 4k on my RS4 - and the PS2s have gone 10k.

But the PS3s are a nice if subtle improvment over the PS2s.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Am I right in thinking that the PS3's are asymmetric whereas the PS2's are directional? In which case, being asymmetric they are bound to perform better whether in the wet or dry.

Michelin also have recently launched what is promising to be an excellent road-legal trackday tyre which is asymmetric and dual compound -  :party: :party: :party: :party:

Link: http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres-MICHELIN/PILOT,SPORT,CUP/235,40,R18,91,Y,%28FSL%29.html

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 04:54:00 pm »
PS2s are asymms, Robin. PS1s were directional.

Word on the street is PS3s are better in the wet, just as good in the dry.

PSCups have been out for donkeys years too... :grin:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:57:40 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »
Nick,
I hope these mobile fitters dont mark your rims.
I'd also ask them to take all the tacky matter of the back from the old wheel weights cos they always leave some....grrrh

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:08 pm »
Nick,
I hope these mobile fitters dont mark your rims.
I'd also ask them to take all the tacky matter of the back from the old wheel weights cos they always leave some....grrrh

thanks for the tips nathan, had a phone call this evening saying they cant get them! i have had a nightmare trying to get hold of these this week as Michelin wont have any for atleast a month but luckily a dealer near work sourced single tyres for me from across London! getting them done in the afternoon tomorrow fingers crossed bit more money though

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »
so they will be well and truly bedded in by time the weekend is up  :wink:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »
 :laugh:

i will post my initial findings next week   :happy2:

i know steveP has been running on these for a little while and he seems to rate them, id be interested if they are still doing the buisness for him  :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 09:12:42 pm »
They sure are doing the business and will be getting a very good test this weekend  :driver: :driver:

I will post my thoughts upon my return  :popcornsoda:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »
They sure are doing the business and will be getting a very good test this weekend  :driver: :driver:

I will post my thoughts upon my return  :popcornsoda:

Yes they will! cant wait!