Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice on modifications  (Read 6459 times)

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 0
  • Surrey
Re: Advice on modifications
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:23 am »
 :signLOL:

VW Edition 30 DSG, 5 door, RNS-510

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 10:15:58 am »
hi and welcome  :pomppomp: , good advice already but heres mine too  :grin:

First off JKM are  :happy2: , good hands so no worries there.

Get a before dyno plot before you touch anything too as a baseline.

Consider if this is going to be the end of your modding (realistically) , which I would suggest it isnt. So dont waste money on 'partial/ineffectual' mods

So hold off on the filter until you can afford a full replacement item (Twintake or ITG) +20bhp , panel gives little or no gains, stick with the OE aribox until then

Same with exhaust , either get the  full Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) or leave original , same principal gains are in full system not cat back (plus you have duplicated labour costs if you do it in stages)

S3 Ic i would suggest isnt required at stage 1 for your usage.
Consider the Forge Twintercooler as its good too and easily removeable, if you arent fitting it the labour is high for fitting an S3 cooler for limited gains

Brakes you 'can' live with but in reality they are marginal at best  on a mapped ED30 dependent on your driving style.
Also consider good quality tyres depending on whats on just now

Id also be looking at uprated engine mounts , either just gearbox or all and a WALK kit. (see product review section)

(I assume you are a manual car? , in which case yes budget for a clutch if remapping....)

hth
John

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:55 am »
With the brakes, I find that they're great when braking hard from 50mph but anything above that speed and they are IMO inadequate.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 12:22:12 pm »
hi and welcome  :pomppomp: , good advice already but heres mine too  :grin:

First off JKM are  :happy2: , good hands so no worries there.

Get a before dyno plot before you touch anything too as a baseline.

Consider if this is going to be the end of your modding (realistically) , which I would suggest it isnt. So dont waste money on 'partial/ineffectual' mods

So hold off on the filter until you can afford a full replacement item (Twintake or ITG) +20bhp , panel gives little or no gains, stick with the OE aribox until then

Same with exhaust , either get the  full Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) or leave original , same principal gains are in full system not cat back (plus you have duplicated labour costs if you do it in stages)

S3 Ic i would suggest isnt required at stage 1 for your usage.
Consider the Forge Twintercooler as its good too and easily removeable, if you arent fitting it the labour is high for fitting an S3 cooler for limited gains

Brakes you 'can' live with but in reality they are marginal at best  on a mapped ED30 dependent on your driving style.
Also consider good quality tyres depending on whats on just now

Id also be looking at uprated engine mounts , either just gearbox or all and a WALK kit. (see product review section)

(I assume you are a manual car? , in which case yes budget for a clutch if remapping....)

hth
John

Hi John,

Mine is a DSG variant. I was toying with asking for a remap with the torque limited to 350NM but from speaking with a number of people, no one has had any problems.  Appreciate that Scotta has recently experienced problems but i haven't heard of any others?

What are typical costs of an upgraded cluth including fitting?  I see prices on JKM for the upgraded Sachs clutch is circa £550 but how much would fitting be on that?

Chris.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 12:59:10 pm »

What are typical costs of an upgraded cluth including fitting?  I see prices on JKM for the upgraded Sachs clutch is circa £550 but how much would fitting be on that?

Chris.

....Best to ask Kate at JKM - She's always very helpful and it would give you a more accurate figure to allow for in the unfortunate future event.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »
Why do people always insist on saying to do a full turbo back exhaust if you want gains from it.  It is the restriction of the cat and the downpipe where gains are made, you will also get a deeper engine note with a larger downpipe.  

Adding the cat back gives much more sound but very small power gains indeed.  I know this as i did it this way as well and made only 2 hp from the cat bak which to be fair i didnt even notice on the road and could even have been just a result of variation between using the RRs on different days.

if you want more power gains, and a little bit more noise go for the downpipe. (upto £500)

if you want sound go for the cat back(upto 500)

if you want power gains and much more sound then you need a full turbo back exhaust. (upto £1000)

thats a lrage variation in cash for different results, you need to think what you want, as the £500 you cold potentially save could go on something else with god gains like anti roll bars and WALK etc

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:17:15 pm by vRSy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »
^^^^
As Sy says: Planning your mods as far ahead as possible is best. Just like looking as far as possible ahead when driving, instead of the boot of the car just in front of you like most drivers do :stupid:.

ARB's are an extremely good cost-effective mod too. Slippery Slope!  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:27 pm »
Why do people always insist on saying to do a full turbo back exhaust if you want gains from it.  It is the restriction of the cat and the downpipe where gains are made, you will also get a deeper engine note with a larger downpipe. 

@vRSy :was that aimed at my comment? if so I had already agreed with you in that the cat back is of little purpose in power gains...

@mackit : ignore the clutch upgrades as you have DSG, only needed for manual.   
a DSG remap is an option open to you, as well as increased oil change service intervals for the DSG oil which doesnt hurt and many people on here seem to do when remapping.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 02:54:47 pm »
What is the size of the front brakes on the GTi/ED30? 

Is the JKM Big Brake front brakes advertised on the page below the ones you would find on the R32?

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsibrakes.htm

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:38 pm »
Why do people always insist on saying to do a full turbo back exhaust if you want gains from it.  It is the restriction of the cat and the downpipe where gains are made, you will also get a deeper engine note with a larger downpipe. 
@vRSy :was that aimed at my comment? if so I had already agreed with you in that the cat back is of little purpose in power gains...

No mate, not aimed at you but just in gereral :drinking:

It does seem that everytime someone says they are considering an exhaust or going stage 2 lot of people insist that a full TBE i s required, which isnt strictly true, and could potentially cost them twice the amount of money than it needed to. 

I just wanted to let the OP know that it wasnt required to get the gains he wants and that he could save some money which im sure we all agree can only be a good thing :happy2:

Offline mackit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Surrey
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 04:32:56 pm »
Is it right to say that fitting a hiflow sports cat and large bore downpipe in addition to the cat back system is redundant if no remap is done?  So in essence would you obtain higher power figures by doing this but without any remap?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »
TBH, if it were me, i wouldn't fit a performance downpipe and CAT without having a Remap to ensure fueling is correct and that the car is running sweet etc.  Some people, me included got engine check lights after fitting the downpipe before getting the car mapped, however there are others who never got the light at all.

id say you would get gains from fitting the downpipe whilst retaining  the standard map, but they wouldn't be anything to shout about, just what the ECU can try and adapt to. 

from what you have said in post#1 id say not to other with the DP in your case just yet, as your not on some crazy HP hunt.  Id say you should be able to hit 280+Hp on JKMs rollers with the chosen mods already, and that is a mighty powerful car, and id be looking into the ARBs, and god pads instead for the minute. 

then at a later date you could order a downpipe, get it fitted at any local garage you want (mine charges £35 to change downpipes) and you then get superchips to send you the stage 2 map(£50) to your handset and install it there and then.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »
Another  :happy2: for JKM from here. I have been speaking to Kate over the last few weeks sorting out my rapid slide down the slippery slope. Placed my order today. Service has been fantastic and the prices are very competitive.