Make a donation

Author Topic: Gremlin in my ecu?  (Read 8785 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Gremlin in my ecu?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:25:03 pm »
That is the notorious checksum fault that we find in a lot of Bosch Me9 ecu's. a simple software update should solve it, if the car is on non original software then the software needs to be read and the checksum corrected before writing it back to the ECU.

A quick description of a checksum:

We see a man. He has a orange shirt, blue jeans and red shoes (I know, quite Belgian...). That is the data of ECU. Then he has a paper in his pocket, and it says "Belgian, orange shirt, blue jeans and red shoes". That is the checksum.
So we just need to check, whether the checksum and the ECU data match. If they don't, the checksum needs to be corrected accordingly.

/offtopic, non-nerds please ignore

@PDT:
I had a strange issue with some of the electronics I'm developing, about two years ago. We incorporate a checksum to validate the data. What we were finding was under excessive noise conditions, the corrupt (random) checksum was once every so often coincidentally correct allowing garbage data to be read. It was an "infinite monkeys + infinite typewriters + infinite time = Shakespeare" type thing. Had to scratch my head to solve that one.

What the f*ck are you 2 talking about.  :stupid:   :grin:

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »
I think the monkey with the typewriter bought some new blue jeans and red shoes for his trip to shakespear in belgium!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »
I think you should be able to have  the dealer carry out the software update from the factory and then ask MTM to reflash your ECU again with the modified updated code.

Alternatively if MTM hold the correct file they could flash it straight to your car and cut Audi out of the loop.

It's just a different software revison.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »
They know about my map the map is an audi map, they replaced turbo, clutch and steering rack all under warranty. The gremlin is not mtm gremlin it is deeper i think it is a bosch fault very common in skoda i hear.

are you from the UK?

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »
Yeah from the uk. Not that fussed about the mtm i've had a good 2.5yrs out of it without a glitch would rather have it than not tho until i organise another map. Stevie

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
audi dealers sound alot better than SEAT ones. SEAT would have pretty much in polite words told you to either cough up or f*ck off.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 10:02:27 pm »
I think the monkey with the typewriter bought some new blue jeans and red shoes for his trip to shakespear in belgium!

:congrats:   :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:  :grin:

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:52 pm »
Need to wait til tomorrow they may still tell me to go away but they have been brilliant up until now, i cant deal with bad unpolite service it would be their lose my first garage were like that massively up their own arse but i cant describe how helpful and polite this team has been.

Offline njdudsbury

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:30 pm »
Please keep this post going and up to date, I have the same problem with my GOLF GTI.

I have the same error code (P0601) but on the reader I used  it said 'control unit faulty'

As much info as possible please.
Been having a look around and there are loads of occurances of the same thing all over the shop.
What year is the car and mileage as there also seems to be a common trend with that also.
Let us know if you would
Cheers

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:22 pm »
get the dealer to reflash to standard and go to an MTM dealer, eg Kim Collins - QS Tuning. They should reflash for you but will probably charge labour.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:13 am »
What were you developing? what type of 'noise' are you describing?

Battery Management System for EV/HEV. We were simulating all sorts of electrical noise - AC, inductive, conductive, all sorts of junk, all at once. Solved it now, such that I think you'd need an EMP to kill the comms!

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:02 pm »
Still no phone call from audi yet. Nj my audi is march 2007 with 32k on the clock??? I said to audi this morning about a common fault and there is an update....they knew nothing about it but would look into it.

Offline njdudsbury

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 09:52:00 pm »
S3Dubbin
Similar sorts of age and mileage (mines a 56 plate with 29,000 on it)
Makes you think its all planned!!!
Keep me posted
I have got somebody trying to get the latest sofware for me.
Will let you know.
Do you know if its the Bosch ECU on yours?
Cheers
Neil

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 06:15:15 am »
nj

If you take it to a dealer and it is the ECU update that is required they'll do it for free.  If it is also the case that they want to replace your ECU because of a known defect then that should be FoC as well.  Things will be made easier if you have a full VW service history as they should have carried out the check during routine servicing.

What would be invaluable is if you could get a copy of the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:17:00 am by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 09:03:27 am »
It is def a bosch unit that is in mine nj. Cant believe its so much hassle to try and get an update that all the after market places seem to know abt but bloody audi dont!!! And it certaily aint foc £400 for recon unit or £1400 for a new unit??? They can jog on if they think they are getting a single penny! Still waiting on cust services.