Make a donation

Author Topic: VWRacing-KW-V3 Suspension....  (Read 58829 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: VWRacing-KW-V3 Suspension....
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 10:01:37 am »
good write up red good to see VWR really look after there customers

I know who I'll be taking my car to!  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:36:54 am by illyun »

Offline NEWEY

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 11:03:45 am »
great write up red car looks alot better as well :drool: i also dont think thats a bad price at all

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
Absolutely first class write up.

Do you think the WALK kit has enhanced your diff any more, the poly bushes alone will give more control, but I'm interested to hear how the two compliment each other?

....Unfortunately, because it made sense to fit the WALK in the same workshop session, it's too difficult for me to assess in a meaningful way.

However, the steering does feel a bit firmer and she turns in extremely well. But my Quaife also plays an important (major) role in my car's handling. Mark and I still plan to go up to Bruntingthorpe and I think he will be able to judge it better than I can.

There's no doubt in my mind that the combination of the new suspension with the WALK and Quaife, all expertly setup by Mark, deliver excellent handling. But the trade-off is feeling every manhole cover etc - Not harshly but merely that it's there! I love that feeling of being firm and flatly planted, but not everybody does.

Friend Dan wrote this about the VWR/RL demo car : -

"We had a full tank and no time constraints so we just headed out with only one thing on our minds - to see how good this car was!  First impressions were how civilised it was, even with a heavy duty clutch in there.  I haven't driven a FWD car fast for a long time so thought I'd have to be wary of that much power going thru the front wheels.  How wrong I was.  The Quaife allied to a well sorted chassis had the power contained and although it was possible to spin the tyres in 3rd gear, it was all collected up before getting out of hand and you still made very rapid forward progress.  Just ask the TT-S driver who we encountered (and subsequently left  behind)!   

In fact the Quaife for me was the most incredible part of the car.  You could turn in to a corner, plant the throttle and the car just tightened its line and slingshot you down the road, giggling like a school kid.  Personally speaking, this is the sort of car that would tempt me out of the MKIV R32.  Its got the same rawness and feeling of connection with the road, yet its quieter cruising along, probably better mpg, and with the bodykit it has that stand out from the crowd look without being a Halfrauds special.  The only complaint for me is still the noise.  Whilst sounding awesome under load thanks to the uprated engine mounts, it still doesn't have that V6 warble I love so much, so fingers crossed VW get to use the 2.3 5cyl that Audi are putting in the TT-RS in the MKVI Golf.

In all we did quite a bit of a mixture of roads and both Robin and I were positively gushing about the car when we got back, so much so, I don't think Mark could take it all in so he got us to write down our thoughts to further help them focus this car for future customers.  BIALI Stig - pah!  Robin and Dan are Racingline test drivers!  I said at the time I felt like a bit of a fraud - I mean what do I know about setting up a car but as Mark pointed out, we're real world drivers on real roads.  The race track can only tell them so much about how to setup a car but this car is about being a fast road car and trackday weapon, and in this instance, Robin and I have valued input as to how it could be better.  The answer for me was it couldn't get much better!"

This is from his thread on BIALI about our day : - http://biali.ritey.com/forum/index.php?topic=373.0

I did laugh with the string alignment job, I've seen something similar before and when it was stuck on a laser job at a later stage... it was bang on! You can't beat old school methods.

....I should have added in my OP that the 'string' is high-tech, hi-vis, elastic string!

I have a firm belief (like you) thet you get what you pay for, sure VWR might charge £xx amount more, but they know what they're doing and you pay extra for the confidence. Some other tuners it just gets farmed out to the monkeys they have in the back on minimum wage and you just have to hope it was done right, a quick search on forums can provide plenty of examples of when they haven't.

In short, I love your car and I love your ethos to modding it. It sets a good example!

....Cheers, buddy!

Trust, confidence, and shared enthusiasm is so important. Good aftersales service then naturally follows as simply a matter of course.

I'm not sure you'll like my 'modding ethos' when I put RACINGLINE graphics on my car!!

My next mod is definitely VWR's 'Fast Road' engine mounts!

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 12:45:56 pm »
Damn... I've GOT to stop reading threads like this, because I'm soooo tempted to spend my remaining pennies on the Quaife LSD/Engine Mounts/Brakes asap!  I'll probably get the Quaife/Engine Mounts done first and then brakes last...  :surprised:  I should have done the brakes before all else, but my rationale is that I am driving with one eye on the limitations of the brakes.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
That's really good to hear. I'm certain it is doing something to improve it, as the dynamic camber will help the diff by providing more tyre footprint/grip, thus in turn giving it a bit more of a margin before it needs to intervene.

I honestly wish I could justify an LSD, I'm trying to keep everything on an 'easy to remove basis'.. so it's probably best if I never drive yours, or anyone else's LSD'd car!

I await with great interest to hear the Brunters results... hell, I'd be tempted to come and watch!

If I didn't have Votex, then I'd be at VWR for everything, but they're essentially the same business. Enthusiasts that set up and race cars and happen to make a living out of it on the side.

Oh, and graphics - the only sticker that should ever go on a car is small and ring shaped, once you've got your wings of course, otherwise it's bad luck!  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:53:39 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:19 pm »
Damn... I've GOT to stop reading threads like this, because I'm soooo tempted to spend my remaining pennies on the Quaife LSD/Engine Mounts/Brakes asap!  I'll probably get the Quaife/Engine Mounts done first and then brakes last...  :surprised:  I should have done the brakes before all else, but my rationale is that I am driving with one eye on the limitations of the brakes.

....Personally, I would have upgraded the brakes before Stage2 and certainly before an intercooler. A lot depends on your style of driving - I'm very light on my use of brakes except for spirited driving. But there have been inevitable times, and when you least expect them, that I've had to brake very hard and that's when I've been really glad of them.

I'd steady up and take your time and also enjoy each mod one at a time, but that's just me and we're all different.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 01:34:16 pm »
I honestly wish I could justify an LSD, I'm trying to keep everything on an 'easy to remove basis'.. so it's probably best if I never drive yours, or anyone else's LSD'd car!

....Quaife diff definitely not minor to remove! Expensive in labour to remove and replace too.

It sounds like you don't plan to keep your car as long as I do. I shan't be bothering to put my car back to standard.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:36:34 pm »
great write up rr, may b tempted to go for a few toys from them in the summer. would you mind taking me out in your car at santa pod meet? there are some really nice twisties 2mins from santa pod.

....Sure, as long as we don't miss the Phil vs Joe shoot-out.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 01:40:17 pm »
ROBIN, that was one awesome write up, and the car looks awesome. Very impressed and 15 mins well spent  :happy2:

although i do remember about 12months ago when awesome fitted my coilovers and slammed them that when i posted pics, you slated it   :laugh: and stated that its no good for the ride or the car, POT, KETTEL, BLACK?  :P :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:50:27 pm by joesgti »

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »
ROBIN, that was one awesome write up, and the car looks awesome. Very impressed and 15 mins well spent  :happy2:

although i do remember about 12months ago when awesome fitted my coilovers and slammed them that when i posted pics, you slated it   :laugh: and stated that its no good for the ride or the car, POT, KETTEL, BLACK?  :P :P

....Cheers, Joe :happy2:

IIRC, I had the strong impression that you were only doing it for the looks, or at least primarily for the looks. I may have misinterpreted you of course.

I left how low my car would be or not, entirely to Mark's setup which took account of my brief for no uneven tyre wear or wheel arch problems and to be road-practical. The result is as it is.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:24 pm »

....Personally, I would have upgraded the brakes before Stage2 and certainly before an intercooler. A lot depends on your style of driving - I'm very light on my use of brakes except for spirited driving. But there have been inevitable times, and when you least expect them, that I've had to brake very hard and that's when I've been really glad of them.

I'd steady up and take your time and also enjoy each mod one at a time, but that's just me and we're all different.

I get what you're saying and I started on the slippery slope with the best of intentions to be sensible etc... that was before I put my foot down after having Stage 1 Revo... I wanted more and more and still do  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:  The brakes aren't the cheapest of mods and my driving style is conservative most of the time so I thought I could leave them out until later - initially I had pencilled them in as one of the first things to do.  Anyway, its all irrelevant as I just got a pm back from Keith at JKM who said that Stage 2+ has not been released for my ECU code as yet although he'ill keep me informed as to when it is available.  :evilgrin: 

I'm extremely tempted to go for the Quaife before Santa Pod though...  and leave the engine mounts and brakes for one last modding session in March - does the quaife really make a very big difference in terms of wheel spin and handling?

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 06:31:11 pm »
Also, are there any negative points regarding the Quaife?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 06:36:11 pm »
i spoke to vw racing today and am very happy with them and i think mine will be going there in the next few months for the diff doing and a better clutch aswell and all thanks to Robin  :laugh:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »
Great write-up Robin, couldn't have been any better!  :happy2: :happy2:

You're just making me even more excited to get my Bilstein's and WALK fitted in March!!  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »
Oh, also...

Are your V3's twintube or monotube dampers?
 :smiley:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:08:02 pm by WhiteGTI »
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp