Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1's/EfficientGrip  (Read 18931 times)

Offline tomhighcliffe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Goodyear Eagle F1's/EfficientGrip
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »
The time had come to replace my front tyres so I opted for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, went to my local reliable garage who then tried to order them for me and was told by the Goodyear rep that they had been discontinued and were being replaced by new Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres.

So I now have these fitted up front and first impressions are good and the road noise/bearing noise has vanished as my old tyres were Dunlop Sportmax tyres.

Has anybody else had any experience with EfficientGrip tyres? Any feedback?

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1's/EfficientGrip
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »
My tyre rumble disappeared when I had the geometry done properly, it'd distorted the tyres - don't let the fact it has gone away now mask another problem, as my asyms were silent by comparison to the previous knackered set.

Just a thought.
Sideways yo!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »
I would very strongly doubt that the F1 Asymmetrics have been discontinued - they haven't been out long - http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/Eagle_F1AS/index.jsp

As for the EfficientGrip - they categorically are NOT for fitment on a GTI - they are a 'fuel saver' tyre, in a similar vein to the Michelin Energy - http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/efficient_grip/index.jsp.  I'd strongly recommend you go back to the stealer who supplied them, and get them to fit the correct spec tyre - ie a high performance tyre, not a tree hugger tyre.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »
I would say the Excellence is a more suitable replacement for the Assys.

Offline tomhighcliffe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:21 pm »
I would very strongly doubt that the F1 Asymmetrics have been discontinued - they haven't been out long - http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/Eagle_F1AS/index.jsp

As for the EfficientGrip - they categorically are NOT for fitment on a GTI - they are a 'fuel saver' tyre, in a similar vein to the Michelin Energy - http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/efficient_grip/index.jsp.  I'd strongly recommend you go back to the stealer who supplied them, and get them to fit the correct spec tyre - ie a high performance tyre, not a tree hugger tyre.

I dont doubt what your saying and Ive read some of your previous posts on the forum so I can tell that you know what your talking about, but how do I prove to the garage that they are the incorrect tyres, and after a days driving, 60miles, how can I get them to take them back off my car? They are a local independant garage and assured me that they were a direct replacement so I took there word for it and came straight to work

Cheers for the advice

Tom

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »
Tom - firstly, the garage has lied to you about the Asymmetrics being discontinued - show them the Goodyear web links.

Regarding the comment on having used them for x-days and x-miles - it doesn't matter - they clearly miss-sold them to you by misrepresentation.  Speak to www.consumerdirect.gov.uk if you have doubts.  The onus will be on the garage to PROVE they are a suitable fitment for the GTI - and if they have to take back part-worn but wrongly supplied tyres, that is their prob, not yours.

Now, onto establishing actual suitability for GTIs - you can personally establish that these are NOT for a GTI.  Goodyears own web page may include a VW Golf, but that was on 16" wheels - which means a bog standard shopping car, and not a high performance hot hatch.  Ask on every UK-based Mk5 GTI website (this one, www.GolfGTIforum.co.uk/index.php?board=16.0, VWAudiForum, etc) or even the the yankie www.GolfMk5.com - and for Goodyear-specific boots, ALL will recommend either the obsolete (but still available) GSD3 or the very current F1 Asymmetric.

Also look at what 'factory fitted' tyres were available for the Mk5 GTI.  Goodyears were never factory fitted, but for Michelin, it was the Pilot Exalto PE2 (and NOT the 'fuel saving' Mich Energy), and for Continental, it was the Sport Contact 2 (and NOT the 'fuel saving' Conti EcoContact.)

These EfficientGrip will seriously affect the handling of the GTI.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:44 pm »
I absolutely agree with everything above, they are very much aimed at a different market. I don't doubt they are a good tyre but much more suited to a 1.9 golf tdi running up and down the motorway.  They are not a performance tyre for a performance car!

Offline tomhighcliffe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:55:34 am »
Ok so Ive been to the garage this morning and told them I wasnt happy with the tyres they had supplied, they're not a performance tyre and the eagle F1's had not been discontinued.

They promptly phoned there supplier who against insisted that these are a direct replacement for the eagle F1 and the only places that can supply the F1's will be old stock.

Looks like Im stuck with these now! Not a happy driver!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:03:24 pm »
Ok so Ive been to the garage this morning and told them I wasnt happy with the tyres they had supplied, they're not a performance tyre and the eagle F1's had not been discontinued.

They promptly phoned there supplier who against insisted that these are a direct replacement for the eagle F1 and the only places that can supply the F1's will be old stock.

Looks like Im stuck with these now! Not a happy driver!
1 - get in touch with Consumer Direct, as detailed in the link above.  The relevent consumer law the garage have breached is under "misrepresentation".  Consumer Direct will give you very good advice on this very issue, and help you immensely.

2 - name and shame the stealer.  They are clearly LYING - and need to be exposed as the scam artists they clearly are.

3 - phone Goodyear Technical direct.  IF they are as good as Michelin, Goodyear should not only offer you free replacment tyres, they should also ban that particular tyre supply chain from supplying Goodyears, as this scenario can potentially damage the Goodyear brand.

Seriously, you need to sort this out.  EfficientGrip are NOT correct nor suitable for ANY 'performance' hot hatch.

PS, I take it you are on 17" alloys.
------

Offline tomhighcliffe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:15 pm »
[/quote]

nope they are on 18" alloys, 225/40/18

I am going to contact Goodyear Technical Helpdesk now, the garage isnt at fault, all they have done is told me what there supplier is telling them, I went to school with the guy who owns the garage so I know I can trust him, Im in the process of finding out there supplier, he told me before but I cant remember, I think it was Stapletons

http://www.stapletons-tyres.co.uk/index.html

Really hoping to get this sorted, Im stuck without a car as I dont want to put too many miles on the tyres before I get them taken back, think Ill swap them to the back just for the weekend.

Thanks

Tom

Ill keep you posted on any developments

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:49:42 pm »
sorry to hear your woes.
are the efficientgrip even of a high enough speed rating for the ed30?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:28 pm »

nope they are on 18" alloys, 225/40/18

I am going to contact Goodyear Technical Helpdesk now, the garage isnt at fault,
The garage IS at fault.  This is categorically stipulated under well-established UK consumer laws.  Again, I strongly recommend you contact Consumer Direct to get some correct independent advice.

all they have done is told me what there supplier is telling them,
The garage has a duty of care to ensure they check and verify said info.

I went to school with the guy who owns the garage so I know I can trust him,
And . . . some of the dorks I went to college with I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.  You really need to take an objective view, and put aside any old school friendships.  They sold a product which was NOT fit for purpose, and if they are now trying to pass the buck, then that shows their true colours.

Im in the process of finding out there supplier, he told me before but I cant remember, I think it was Stapletons

http://www.stapletons-tyres.co.uk/index.html
Eeeeekkkk.  Stapletons have generally got quite a poor reputation.  For over 20 years, I've had 'issues' with a number of my local Stapletons (or their previous incarnation of Holburn Tyres), including a CCJ and Trading Standards investigation against them.  They still give out bad advice, they still damage the underseal on cars, and they still use wheel balancers with expired CalCerts!

Hopefully, your conversation with Goodyear will prove that the F1 Asymms are still available, and have not been 'superceeded'.

Really hoping to get this sorted, Im stuck without a car as I dont want to put too many miles on the tyres before I get them taken back, think Ill swap them to the back just for the weekend.
Good thought.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:10:05 pm by Teutonic_Tamer »
------

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but pretty much the same thing just happened to me. Here's the story:

I have 18" Monza IIs on my GTI and my current tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3) are getting on a bit but, more importantly, I got a puncture on the n/s/f tyre so popped down to my local Humphries Tyre & Exhaust Centre (3-5 Caversham Bridge, Caversham, Reading RG4 8AA). Turns out my front tyres were on the wear limiters and my rear tyres had tread but were worn unevenly (on the inside edge) and were quite badly perished both on the tyre shoulders and in the grip groves. The tyre shop recommended four new tyres and to check the tracking which, to be honest, is fair enough. Things start to go downhill from here though.

The guy on the desk asked me whet tyres I currently had on the vehicle and I clearly told him they were Goodyear Eagle F1s. He said OK and then came back with a quote of £555.95inc including the tracking. I said I would make some calls. I called my usual tyre place (Bracknell Tyre and Battery) who came back with a price of £484 for a set of F1 Asymmetrics fitted and balanced, but no tracking as they don't do it. I asked they guy behind the desk if he would price match that quote and specifically told him it was for F1 Asymmetrics. He said yes, so the total cost went down to £513.95 including the tracking.

When they were finished I saw the car but I didn't recognise the tyrewall logo and asked them if they were F1s. "Oh no sir, they're the new Efficientgrips, they replaced the the Eagle F1s which have now been discontinued, these are much better" I then explained that Bracknell Tyre and Battery had given me a quote on a set of F1 Asymmetrics and that I had specifically asked him to price match their quote on those tyres "Ah, yeah, I know those lot, they buy in bulk and have 100s of tyre on the shelf, that's old stock they're trying to sell you there, these have the new tread pattern and are much better, you are really better off with these latest tyres". Foolishly I believed him and parted with my hard earned cash.

Upon getting home, reading this old thread and doing some other research I now know I have been totally mis-sold these tyres and I'm hopping mad about it. I contacted Goodyear Tyre tech who sent me an email explaining that the GSD3s have been replaced with the F1 Asymmetric and newer Asymmetric 2 tyres and that these are the appropriate replacement. I then called the tyre shop an the guy was really quite rude about the whole think, cheekily accusing me of being "irate" whilst telling me that they had done nothing wrong and that they've never heard anything like this sort of complaint, they went on to patronise me by explaining speed ratings which was silly as it allowed me to point out they had replaced a set of Y rated tyres with W rated ones but even that didn't phase them, apparently that "is appropriate for the vehicle". Maybe, but it's not what I asked for, nor is it what you told me you had quoted me for. H edid say he would call me back though and he did. He was still pretty funny with me but he told me he had phoned head office and their tyre selector team and had been told that he had fitted the correct tyre for the vehicle. I continued to argue that these were not the tyres I had asked him to quote me on, were not the tyres I had asked him to price match, at no time during the sales process did he tell me he was fitting tyres that were different to the ones I had requested and that he had lied about them replacing the Eagle F1s, lied about F1s being discontinued and lied about a competitor holding "old stock". He gave me a number to call at head office, which I did.

They were much better, but apparently there is a specific person I need to speak to, my details and the nature of my complaint has been passed on and right now I am waiting for a call back from their head office. I am so furious about this as I only had a short window to get this done (as I'm going to be out of the country on business for the next couple of weeks) now I'm left with a GTI sat on 1.4L tyres and no clear resolution in sight and the prospect of trying to sort all of this out whilst in California which will just be a nightmare.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »
Not reading the whole thread here but, i JUST bought and had the Assys put on, and yes Assys 2 are now out!

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:25:23 am »
Some good news to report on this, after much arguing I managed to get the tyre place to replace my tyres and I now have a brand new set of F1 Assys on the car.

As for the Efficientgrips... They are nasty, nasty tyres! It was like driving on jelly, totally destroyed the feel of the car.