Make a donation

Author Topic: 1.4 TSI PCV Options  (Read 18033 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
1.4 TSI PCV Options
« on: May 14, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »
Hi All,

I cant seem to find much information on this.

Does the 1.4 TSI engine suffer from the same PCV valve vapour recirculation issues as its bigger brothers, the 2.0T FSI and the 2.0T TSI engines?

If so, do any companies have a suitable fix that could be applied to a car from new? I have checked the BSH website, and they dont appear to list anything specifically for the engine.

Thanks in advance.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: 1.4 TSI PCV Options
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:56:08 pm »
^^^^
Is your car turbocharged? If so, turbocharged engines often draw significant amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system. An aftermarket oil catch tank system removes aerated oil so that it can be drained and recycled.

Perhaps phone Forge 01452 380999 and ask if they do a PCV fix for your car?

I get confused with the "TSI" term - Does the "T" mean it's turbo'd?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:30:01 pm »
Robin, i previously had the PCV fix on my Mk5 GTI, had the Stage 1 BSH fix.

Forge are too expensive. So wouldnt pursue that avenue. BSH is a cheaper alternative.

The 1.4 TSI engine is both supercharged and turbocharged.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the Forge is much more expensive but much better designed, engineered and thought out. I've had both. The BSH does the job but the Forge does it better, IMO.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:35:42 pm »
turbocharged engines often draw significant amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system.
Not really true.  There are many, MANY turbo engines, including VAG turbo engines which do not burn oil.

An aftermarket oil catch tank system removes aerated oil so that it can be drained and recycled.
And is completely un-necessary on anything appart from highly modified engines.

I get confused with the "TSI" term - Does the "T" mean it's turbo'd?
When the TSI acronym was originally introduced, it meant 'Twincharger Stratified Injection' - because it had both a turbocharger and a supercharger.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »
^^^^
Yes, the Forge is much more expensive but much better designed, engineered and thought out. I've had both. The BSH does the job but the Forge does it better, IMO.

And both are massively over-engineered for standard road cars.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 04:47:56 pm »
^^^^

And both are massively over-engineered for standard road cars.

...."Both"? massively over-engineered? I can see that the Forge PCV fix is definitely "over" engineered - That's something I appreciate and love about it. My car's not standard anyway  :P  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »
turbocharged engines often draw significant amounts of oil into the engine through the PCV system.
Not really true.  There are many, MANY turbo engines, including VAG turbo engines which do not burn oil.

....I wrote "often", meaning some and not necessarily all.

An aftermarket oil catch tank system removes aerated oil so that it can be drained and recycled.

....You debated this opinion at length in another thread, I recall.

Not everyone will agree with you and may wish to have a PCV fix as a preventative maintenance measure, at least in their view.

:happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 05:04:49 pm »

But 'often' would mean that burnining oil would be close to the norm or usual - which isn't correct, even for the 2.0TFSI.

....You debated this opinion at length in another thread, I recall.

Not everyone will agree with you and may wish to have a PCV fix as a preventative maintenance measure, at least in their view.

:happy2:
There would be absolutely NO purpose for using a catch can on standard or mildly modified engines.  This has been thrashed to death previously - on standard or mildly modifed engines, incorrect spec oil is likely to be the cause of the 'carbon issue'
------

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »

But 'often' would mean that burnining oil would be close to the norm or usual - which isn't correct, even for the 2.0TFSI.

....Would you be happier with the word "can" instead of "often", sir?

There would be absolutely NO purpose for using a catch can on standard or mildly modified engines.  This has been thrashed to death previously - on standard or mildly modifed engines, incorrect spec oil is likely to be the cause of the 'carbon issue'

....Well, as we both say, thrashed or debated to death in another thread.

At what point does a car stop being mildly modified and then become highly modified? [genuine question - not trying to score points]

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:20:22 pm »
Ive seen the intake removed on many FSI engines, and its always a mess. Yes, even when the correct grade of oil is used.

I will make my own decision on whether to fit one or not, if there is one in existence for the 1.4 TSI engine.

Offline GTIforpassion

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:11 pm »
You can use also one of this http://www.tks-race.com/images/FSR1X.jpg

Offline Deacon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 08:14:49 am »
I'd be interested in knowing more about this too for my 'rocco.

Deacon

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »
You can use also one of this http://www.tks-race.com/images/FSR1X.jpg

^^^^ That looks like a 'vent-to-atmosphere' filter. Just be aware that you will fail a MOT with one of those. Also, they can create unwelcome smells.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »

....Would you be happier with the word "can" instead of "often", sir?

:happy2: :happy2:  :drinking:

....Well, as we both say, thrashed or debated to death in another thread.

At what point does a car stop being mildly modified and then become highly modified? [genuine question - not trying to score points]
Well, I would probably reckon a ball-park figure of say a 50% or more increase in engine power (and I'm only refering to engine mods here, so 22" alloys or 50mm ARBs don't count in this respect).

So for a standard GTI, a stage one remap, with a zorst and either an <cough> uprated air filter or induction kit would not exceed the 'highly modified' threshold.  So again, for about 95% of peeps on this forum, a catch can is not needed.
------