Make a donation

Author Topic: Recaro (1K0 010 615 K ?) and other info needed....  (Read 16437 times)

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
Re: Recaro (1K0 010 615 K ?) and other info needed....
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:21 pm »
Robin, removing parts #10/11/12 is surely going to leave a gaping hole in the cut-out where the release handle is meant to be located? You'd probably be better of bonding them in place some how so that they can't rattle without the tension of the cable.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »
I am by know means sure, but i  think its a case of under serious g-force the seat collapses. I dont think the force will just lift the latch.  :smiley:

Imagine  yourself sat their and there is no seat back at all, just you being held in by the harness. If you then had a head on crash your top half would still go forward but downwards as well because your shoulders would just burn on the strap and compress you downwards. Side fixings eliminates this.  :popcornsoda:

I could easily be talking sh*t though.  :laugh:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »
I am by know means sure, but i  think its a case of under serious g-force the seat collapses. I dont think the force will just lift the latch.  :smiley:

Imagine  yourself sat their and there is no seat back at all, just you being held in by the harness. If you then had a head on crash your top half would still go forward but downwards as well because your shoulders would just burn on the strap and compress you downwards. Side fixings eliminates this.  :popcornsoda:

For what it's worth I agree, but at the end of the day, what RR wants to do is entirely up to him. As I've said before, this isn't like fitting an illegal HID kit or dodgy brakes pads that could have profound consequences for other people on the road (i.e. possibly even cause an accident) - This is a track only mod that is never (in theory) going to effect anyone other than Robin.

To quote RR himself - ETTO :drinking:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:08 pm »
There are a few of us using these harness's, with Recaro's  and indeed with normal seats, but still on a 3 door so i am very interested as well, in finding a solution. I just think it is going to be a big undertaking dismantling the seat and stripping out the mechanism + adding in some sort of fixed version.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:06 pm »
Robin, removing parts #10/11/12 is surely going to leave a gaping hole in the cut-out where the release handle is meant to be located? You'd probably be better of bonding them in place some how so that they can't rattle without the tension of the cable.

....Yes, that occured to me as well. But I think that if either of or all of parts #10/11/12 are removed, #13 lines the slot.

Bonding is another alternative. We won't know until we (me! or rather, my coachbuilder friend) take the seat apart.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:41 am »
There are a few of us using these harness's, with Recaro's  and indeed with normal seats, but still on a 3 door so i am very interested as well, in finding a solution. I just think it is going to be a big undertaking dismantling the seat and stripping out the mechanism + adding in some sort of fixed version.  :smiley:

....Tedious and fiddly but not a big undertaking, according to those I've spoken to who have dismantled Recaro's.

There's nothing to be added to the seat as far as I can tell (also confirmed by TTshop) because the cables operating the tilt mechanism should be able to be unattached hence leaving the seat back locked.. rigid.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 12:07:34 am »
There are a few of us using these harness's, with Recaro's  and indeed with normal seats, but still on a 3 door so i am very interested as well, in finding a solution. I just think it is going to be a big undertaking dismantling the seat and stripping out the mechanism + adding in some sort of fixed version.  :smiley:

....Tedious and fiddly but not a big undertaking, according to those I've spoken to who have dismantled Recaro's.

There's nothing to be added to the seat as far as I can tell (also confirmed by TTshop) because the cables operating the tilt mechanism should be able to be unattached hence leaving the seat back locked.. rigid.

We are going round in circles, you are not getting my point, whether i am right or wrong.
 In simple terms i am saying there may be a weakness in the actual point that tilts at the bottom and not in the workings of what makes it tilt.  :rolleye:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 12:11:17 am »

....But harnesses work differently from inertia belts. Also, I will probably have a harness bar in my half-roll cage.

I think it's worth investigating if the safety aspects of our Recaro's can be improved when used with a trackday harness. It's still early days.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

We are going round in circles, you are not getting my point, whether i am right or wrong.
 In simple terms i am saying there may be a weakness in the actual point that tilts at the bottom and not in the workings of what makes it tilt.  :rolleye:

....Yes, I am aware of the potential weakness at the bottom 'hinge' but that area is just as vulnerable in all the tiltable oem seats when a harness is used and we have already established that the Schroth with oem seat combination, as tony_danza's, is TUV approved and that the label which started all this points towards the tilt release as being the issue.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:19:46 am by RedRobin »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 12:49:30 am »
y dont u just call recaro and ask them about the harness holes  :smiley: they should know as they will have tested the seats  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 12:59:20 am »
y dont u just call recaro and ask them about the harness holes  :smiley: they should know as they will have tested the seats  :smiley:

....Recaro's sole agents in the UK deal in zillions of different manufacturer's seats and aren't very knowledgable - It's like talking to a warehouse where the staff don't have a clue what's in the boxes they shift.

Perhaps an email to Recaro in Germany may get better results.

Btw, Recaro use the reference *cccls* (CCCLS) for our GTI seats.

Offline ashley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 09:26:34 am »

....But harnesses work differently from inertia belts. Also, I will probably have a harness bar in my half-roll cage.

I think it's worth investigating if the safety aspects of our Recaro's can be improved when used with a trackday harness. It's still early days.

Agree with TC. Its the fact that the harnesses work differently that causes the issue in the first place. How about swapping the drivers side to a rigid back seat such as a pole position that is actually designed for a harness. Only takes 2 min to swap ready for a track day and would be a weight saving?  

Otherwise just take the risk. We all take risks everyday and are still on here to post :happy2:

Offline ashley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:16 am »

Agree with TC cant see removing the release mech making it any stronger. Its the fact that the harnesses work differently that causes the issue in the first place. How about swapping the drivers side to a rigid back seat such as a pole position that is actually designed for a harness. Only takes 2 min to swap ready for a track day and would be a weight saving?

Not doubting your methods RR, I think its great your putting it out there for discussion.

Otherwise just take the risk. We all take risks everyday and are still on here to post :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »

Agree with TC. Its the fact that the harnesses work differently that causes the issue in the first place. How about swapping the drivers side to a rigid back seat such as a pole position that is actually designed for a harness. Only takes 2 min to swap ready for a track day and would be a weight saving?  

Not doubting your methods RR, I think its great your putting it out there for discussion.

....A Recaro Pole Position, or similar, is my last resort - First I want to see if I can adapt my existing CCCLS Recaro and avoid the extra expense and storage. My garage is tight and at the very far end of my property so I'm thinking of the practical.

[Thinks]: Could I reupholster just the seat cushions in Interlagos on a Pole Position?

Am in the middle of drafting an email to Recaro in Germany.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:08:08 pm by RedRobin »

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »
is there no way to put a lock pin through the handle stopping it from bein used and locking it in place, then it could be removed when not on a track..