Make a donation

Author Topic: Air con/climate failure  (Read 38150 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Air con/climate failure
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »
My air con seems to have stopped producing any chilled or cold air. On the 'low' setting (the one down from 16 degrees celsius) with the cabin direction selected (the one that faces at the driver/passenger) it still blows out hot/warm air. 'Econ' is off and even on 'Auto' at 16degrees, at best, it blows it mildly warm air.
The ultimate test comes when I turn it off, open the passenger window and it's such a relief to have some non stuffy air!  :ashamed:

This stopped in the last 3 weeks or so. I haven't really used it until temperatures hit the 20's in the UK, so very recently.
This morning at Kwik Fit I had 2 air con recharges done, although it made no difference.

Does this mean the compressor has gone or is it likely to be a leak in the piping?
Literally a week after my VW Used car warranty has expired too. Sods law  :fighting: (Presuming it would be covered that is...)

Any ideas - Any 'checks' or tests I can do?

Thanks - Pete.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:20:44 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
Re: Air con/climate failure
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:30:44 pm »
I just had another recharge on mine and although it's producing cold air again - it's very noisy and loads of air sounds like gas pumping around but very noisy - I have warranty via warranty direct and the AC is covered except for recharges so I will at some point (when work allows time) put it in for diagnosis and repair.

I do think it's fecked

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:47 pm »
So you don't get cold/cool air at all either?

This is my only problem. It seems to function fine in terms of display and noise, just no cold air comes out on the 'coolest' setting which is worrying. Not really sure where to take it? Might take it to my nearest Skoda for a cheap analysis  :chicken:
Pete

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »
new air con pump, sorry mate  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:05:04 pm »
Do the radiator fans come on when you turn the climate on? When the compressor failed on my Mk5 GTI, the rad fans didnt come on.

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »
Well I think mine has some sort of gas leak or something because it's very noisy (like I said in earlier post) and will eventually stop making that noise and revert to the same as yours.. completely normal in sounds etc but yet it pumps out only poor-mans air!

Would mine be a pump problem?

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »

Hmm. How much are they £ Danish?  :sad1:

Do the radiator fans come on when you turn the climate on? When the compressor failed on my Mk5 GTI, the rad fans didnt come on.

Seems to Deako. I haven't noticed anything different other than no cold air, literally. It's the only difference in noise/actions/feel.

Well I think mine has some sort of gas leak or something because it's very noisy (like I said in earlier post) and will eventually stop making that noise and revert to the same as yours.. completely normal in sounds etc but yet it pumps out only poor-mans air!

Not sure dude, sounds like we possibly have the same cause but slightly different results. I can't cope without AC generated air in these heats  :fighting:
Pete

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:36 am »

Hmm. How much are they £ Danish?  :sad1:

Seems to Deako. I haven't noticed anything different other than no cold air, literally. It's the only difference in noise/actions/feel.

Not sure dude, sounds like we possibly have the same cause but slightly different results. I can't cope without AC generated air in these heats  :fighting:

I found my second new one one ebay.de and it was about 280£

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:24 am »
When it was re-charged, they would have noticed a leak as you get a big cloud of smoke and (in my case) green dye showing you where it is..

Stone right through the condenser rad - bah!

So, all noise and no leaks would make me think pump.
Sideways yo!

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »
How long to replace do you think? and is it likely a dealer would have pumps in stock?

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 07:17:52 pm »
How long to replace do you think? and is it likely a dealer would have pumps in stock?

+ 1

And would the used car warranty have covered it?
I've got the VW warranty itinerary here and it doesn't really specify if air con components will or won't be covered  :indifferent:
Although they're not in the perishable/wear and tear category so I suppose legally they are required to with a warranty in place? Only pipes/hoses are in the NOT covered section.

Lean, I don't know about you fella but I can't believe somethings already failed a two weeks after my warranty is up. £400 to renew it is a large sum for a lot of ifs and buts...  :sad1:
Pete

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 09:53:31 pm »
DIn denmark there's a TSB on the problem, there's and old tread about this, but the cheapest will be to buy this, new not a refurbed one

http://cgi.ebay.de/Klimakompressor-VW-Golf-V-2-0-TDI-SDI-GTI-GTD-/220393068749?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item33507358cd

And remember to tell the workshop to clean the whole system for metal splinters, i costed me a new pump plus ac cooler and other bits and bobs that the first workshop didn't do it on mine  :sad:

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:31:22 pm »
Hi Danish,

I see a seller in UK supplies Sanden compressors too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270260725086

Any idea what the part number is? Are all mk5 gti's the same regardless of age or edtion 30 / Pirelli etc?

Thanks

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • DSG +..
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:35:34 pm »

+ 1

And would the used car warranty have covered it?
I've got the VW warranty itinerary here and it doesn't really specify if air con components will or won't be covered  :indifferent:
Although they're not in the perishable/wear and tear category so I suppose legally they are required to with a warranty in place? Only pipes/hoses are in the NOT covered section.

Lean, I don't know about you fella but I can't believe somethings already failed a two weeks after my warranty is up. £400 to renew it is a large sum for a lot of ifs and buts...  :sad1:

It's so typical man :( I have a sony vaio one week out of warranty and the power adapter failed.. took to shop they smiled and said oh it out of warranty - then I remembered I extended to 3 for free by registering with sony online..

haha staff at shop looked well fecked off!

Anyway back on topic - my warranty is with warranty direct now and I'm covered. I have their luxury care policy - which basically covers everything apart from a list of items in the booklet. I also talked to them about it and they said the a/c is covered entirely the only thing on a/c that isn't covered is re-gassing. I've done that now so I will be covered.

I think the techs at dealers will listen to my car and take it in on the back of that. - it's like I have a big snake in there it's hissing so much! - or grot-bags from the emu show!  :grin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:13:22 am »
Hahahha I remember that fat ugly green b!tch.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.