Make a donation

Author Topic: Punctures, low profile 19's and the tyre pressure sensor.....  (Read 16216 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Punctures, low profile 19's and the tyre pressure sensor.....
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 11:50:18 am »
Wow didn't know I had to keep the button held down until it bonged.

You are meant to manually check and correct your pressures BEFORE you bong the button!  :P  RTFM.  :mad:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 11:51:54 am »

I had a similar problem just before xmas, warning light on, stopped to check and couldn't see a problem  :confused: woke up on xmas eve to find the tyre was as flat as a witches tit!

Only 5psi left  :surprised:

Three : nill to its' shytness!  :sad:

So the moral of the story is: Check your tyre pressure's on a regular basis!  :happy2:

Spot on - best advice of the thread.  Gold star!  :happy2:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 11:55:57 am »
So the moral of the story is: Check your tyre pressure's on a regular basis!  :happy2:
I too have invested in a digital tyre compressor from Halfrauds!

Yeah I bought one from them over a year ago. What peeved me off about it is how accurate you have to position it, otherwise you just let air out the tyres!

Also, I check before any motorway mileage is to be done, otherwise every two weeks (it got a bit much trying to do it every week).

Never, ever use the guage on "tyre inflator pumps", even those with digital presets.  Just use them to pump up the tyres, and then double check with a separate tyre pressure guage - either on of the PCL pencil types, or an analogue dial type.  Digital pressure guages should be avoided at all costs - they are unreliable, can not be calibrated at all, and give false readings if the battery gets low (but you would not no the battery was getting low - until it was too low to even power up).

Sometimes, old skool is still the most reliable!  :wink:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 11:57:38 am »
Mine went off when a larger person sat in the back seat on one side, we joked at the time but after checking the tyre pressures they turned out ok    :laugh:     :ashamed:

Sorry, but if the TPMS pinged with an extra person in the back (a pie eater or not), then your pressures were too low.  I bet they were not set to the higher "full load" pressures - needed for any person in the back seats.
------

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:10 pm »
I too have invested in a digital tyre compressor from Halfrauds!

Yeah I bought one from them over a year ago. What peeved me off about it is how accurate you have to position it, otherwise you just let air out the tyres!

Also, I check before any motorway mileage is to be done, otherwise every two weeks (it got a bit much trying to do it every week).

Never, ever use the guage on "tyre inflator pumps", even those with digital presets.  Just use them to pump up the tyres, and then double check with a separate tyre pressure guage - either on of the PCL pencil types, or an analogue dial type.  Digital pressure guages should be avoided at all costs - they are unreliable, can not be calibrated at all, and give false readings if the battery gets low (but you would not no the battery was getting low - until it was too low to even power up).

Sometimes, old skool is still the most reliable!  :wink:

I can confirm this as i checked mine for the first time since early December yesterday, and every tyre was at around 2.1 bar pumped back up to 2.4 using a digital tyre pressure gauge and all the tyres on the actual pumps gauge were showing around 1.7.  :scared:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »
You are meant to manually check and correct your pressures BEFORE you bong the button!  :P  RTFM.  :mad:

I've only ever done it once and all I did was inflate the tyres and then press the button. It was only a brief press like when you press the ESP button, rather than holding it down like the mileage reset button. I've never relied upon it or used it otherwise.

Never, ever use the guage on "tyre inflator pumps", even those with digital presets.  Just use them to pump up the tyres, and then double check with a separate tyre pressure guage - either on of the PCL pencil types, or an analogue dial type.  Digital pressure guages should be avoided at all costs - they are unreliable, can not be calibrated at all, and give false readings if the battery gets low (but you would not no the battery was getting low - until it was too low to even power up).

Figured digital ones would have been reliable by now. I don't rely one the petrol station ones. I did have a pencil type one where the pressure in the tyre pushes out a rod with the readings on it but I misplaced it somewhere!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »
On my old MINI, the TPWS would ping when during hard cornering (i mean on the limit cornering, mostly on longer corners).
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 12:44:02 pm »

I've only ever done it once and all I did was inflate the tyres and then press the button. It was only a brief press like when you press the ESP button, rather than holding it down like the mileage reset button. I've never relied upon it or used it otherwise.

Ahh, OK.  If it didn't "bong", and flash the light in the dash panel, then you are OK.  I think they made it so you have to press and 'hold' it specifically to prevent accidental pressage!  :laugh:

Never, ever use the guage on "tyre inflator pumps", even those with digital presets.  Just use them to pump up the tyres, and then double check with a separate tyre pressure guage - either on of the PCL pencil types, or an analogue dial type.  Digital pressure guages should be avoided at all costs - they are unreliable, can not be calibrated at all, and give false readings if the battery gets low (but you would not no the battery was getting low - until it was too low to even power up).

Figured digital ones would have been reliable by now. I don't rely one the petrol station ones. I did have a pencil type one where the pressure in the tyre pushes out a rod with the readings on it but I misplaced it somewhere!

Can I suggest you find it, or buy another.  Less than a fiver from Halfrauds or any motor factor or good tool stockist.  Even my fave nationwide Cromwell Industrial Supplies sell them.  :wink:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »
On my old MINI, the TPWS would ping when during hard cornering (i mean on the limit cornering, mostly on longer corners).

Then - irrespective of what the manual or guage said, the pressures were simply too low (or the tyres were too shyte - wern't Pirellis were they?) to suppor the dynamic mass of the vehicle.  :jumping:
------

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »
...so what your really trying to say TT is............................................. :laugh:

excellent stuff mate, good to know all this stuff. i now keep a digi gauge in the boot of the car, will buy a pencil one too (i know i know...as if the car wasn't heavy enuff  :P)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »
i now keep a digi gauge in the boot of the car

Yeah I keep a digital one because it has a LED display that makes it easy to read the pressures in the dark. Will have a poke down at halfrauds later.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 01:32:06 pm »
i now keep a digi gauge in the boot of the car

Yeah I keep a digital one because it has a LED display that makes it easy to read the pressures in the dark. Will have a poke down at halfrauds later.

My first digi one bought on line £ 5.99 lasted one check.  :sad:
I got an upgrade from halfrauds yesterday for £16.  :wink:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:17 pm »
WOW, interesting read, will check mine tomorrow and wait thill it bongs this time.

Yes I have the old skool PCL type pressure gauge... :happy2:

VC, re car wash, how far are you from Coverack.... :wink:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 07:36:27 pm »

VC, re car wash, how far are you from Coverack.... :wink:

You live in Coverack?

one of the prettiest place in Cornwall, nearly bought a house there  :smiley:

It's about 30 minutes away

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 07:42:05 pm »

Then - irrespective of what the manual or guage said, the pressures were simply too low (or the tyres were too shyte - wern't Pirellis were they?) to suppor the dynamic mass of the vehicle.  :jumping:

Bridgestone Potenza's RE050A's! Run Flats!  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp