Make a donation

Poll

DRL's - Good Mod or Carp Mod (Please give reason if you vote)

Good
3 (50%)
Carp
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: DRL Fitted, Working & Tutorial  (Read 2373 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
DRL Fitted, Working & Tutorial
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
I have started a new thread as this one will be kind of a Tutorial on how to wire it all up.

Before i start the usual Disclaimer:

NEITHER I NOR MK5GolfGTi.co.uk WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DECIDE TO FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK

What i will say is im not "enitirely happy with the look. It's better than i expected however i am now on the hunt for some larger LED's as i still think these are too small compared to OEM.

The LED's don't necessarily have to be larger it is more the Magnification of them.

Anyway here goes. For those who want to see the earlier thread on the DRL's it's here Project Blue Bullet DRL

First thing to do is ensure you have the correct tools

You will need

Crimper
Male & Female Blade connectors (5 of each)
In line fuse holder
Stanley Knife or Very Sharp Knife
Electrical Tape
Heat Shrink
Cable Ties
2 x 2m Lengths of Single Core Electric Cable.
1 x 30cm length of Single Core Electric Cable
1 x 3 Amp Blade Fuse

First of all you need to Join both positive wires together and both negative wires together. Once this is done join the Joined wires to one of the 2m lengths of Electric Cable using spade connectors. Do the same for both wires

Once done then place Heatshrink over the top (don't cover the actual spades) shrink that on using a Hairdryer and then seal the whole lot using Electrical Tape. You end up with this.

Do the same for the other wire.

Next is to connect the in-line fuse holder.

Firstly connect a Female spade to the end of the positive wire. Then connect that to the in line fuse holder. Once done using the 30cm Strip of wire connect a Female spade to that using the same methods as previous and then connect that to the in-line fuse holder. No requirement for a fuse just yet.

Now for fitting. Check all is working first as you don't want to do a load of hard work to find it doesn't work or you haven't got a switched live. For some reason even though i thought i had found a switched live, if i didn't actually start the car then it all worked fine. After driving the car the DRL's would remain on no matter what i did. So i have now tapped into the live cable on the High Pressure Sensor of the Aircon and all works fine.

Working

Not Working (as they shouldn't when the ignition is off)

Next Job is to run the wire around the Engine bay so that it won't interfere with anything. i chose to run along the front Cross member where the bonnet catch sits. Then i ran it down to behind the fog light on either side. I then cable tied and the wire into position

Now comes the hard bit. Due to the shape of the DRL's (something i never considered) they wont just slot back in place. You need to cut a hole like the one you can see below in the bumper plastic. Don't worry about the lower grille holding clasp the edge of the outer parts will hold it in place anyway. Do the same both sides

Once done fit the DRL grilles back in place

Then Voila all done.

These two pics show what they look like to other road users and if i was coming towards someone head on. As you can see they are nowhere near as bright as OEM but still bright enough to attract attention (which is what they are designed to do)