Make a donation

Author Topic: help and advice needed for newbee  (Read 3374 times)

Offline bennydaz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
help and advice needed for newbee
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:50:08 pm »
Hi guys,

Im looking at buying my firt proper car - currently polo 1.4e lol i laugh but i love the thing!! - looking at 2005 mk5 golf gti dsg, and thought this was the place to come and get some advice.

milage is 138000, full vw service, motorway miles mostly. bodywork perfect, gearbox still spot on. i know the car has been driven hard -  as hard as a business man can anyway.

interior is dirty but thats no problem as no damage.

here come the concerns - high milage, dsg reliability, air intake unit needs replacing, no iphone/ipod connection.

any opinions, advice would be appreciated. I want to keep the car for a few years, will be getting at a good price so don't mind spending a little to get it up to scratch.

just wondering how much of a risk the high milage is really with the dsg?

cheers

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: help and advice needed for newbee
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum Benny.

You would have to tell us as i dont think there is much info on DSG with that type of mileage.  :happy2:

To be honest most of the DSG problems are down to mechatronic faults, and if your proposed car had this fault it would have showed up by now.  :happy2:

Just check that it has had the DSG service at the respective intervals. I know the first one is at 40,000 not to sure after that, i am guessing it will have been 80,000 and 120,000.  :smiley:

On the test drive it should feel very smooth at all times.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:47 pm »
u deffo will be a guinea pig on that car lol. If the tranny goes wrong shouldnt be too hard to find another from a scrappy.

Nasir

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:11:16 am »
It should be ok, as long as its been looked after. What about the turbo though?

Offline bennydaz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:16:23 am »
thanks,

Ive done some ground work and driven a 08 dsg to compare and theres no difference, couldnt catch either of them out or make them do anything stupid and all changes were smooth. only difference was I actually thought the older car was quieter!?!

all services have been done, including long life services.

guinea pig!! great lol would be a gutted guinea pig if that happened!!

air intake £ anyone ?

just wondering how long these cars can last? or what makes them go bang when they do die?

no signs of turbo whistling or lagging, pretty constant as i believe it should be in these cars.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:13 am »
I think the 2.0T lump and DSG (or whatever Audi call it) has been around longer on the A3's and possibly A4's than the GTI's so might be worth getting onto some A3 forums and see what kind of mileage those guys have and any issues there ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:05 am »

^^^ S-tronic, innit?

We did 105k in 3.5 years in an A3 1.9TDi... Was solid enough, liked a drop of oil after 80k miles though.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
The DSG was around near the end of the Mk1 TT and various A3s before it was put onto a Mk5; there's definitely some guys out there with 100,000miles+.
Saw a video with a Mk4 R32 with a DSG box, but wasn't sure if that was production or a test mule or what.

Offline Neimad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »
The DSG was around near the end of the Mk1 TT and various A3s before it was put onto a Mk5; there's definitely some guys out there with 100,000miles+.
Saw a video with a Mk4 R32 with a DSG box, but wasn't sure if that was production or a test mule or what.

As I recall some european Mk4 R32's had DSG but it was a slightly different version to the one in our cars.  The earlier ones had a dry clutch pack whereas with ours it's wet.  I believe the change was made in increase the longevity of the components although it's obviously something they've sorted now since the new smaller 7-speed DSG has reverted to a dry clutch configuration.

Offline bennydaz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »
Hi update for any one,

High milage car turned out to be a bit of a dog. Twisted pillar- reAr door not closing easily
engine knocking and when dipped was low and smelling of hydrocarbons- not good apparenltly.
Car had vw stamps but engine bay was a disgrace. The guys at garage picked it apart.

The car had been ruined - 25k of gti gone in 5 years criminal.

Anywho- a good thing that was found out was that after 140k the dsg was still spot on with no oil change done either.

After driving a couple of Gti's then going back to my polo 1.4e it was impossible to not want to have a bit of an up grade lol

found and bought 5dr Tred dsg and love it. Great knowing that type r's and vxr's don't match up to the quality.

Will post some pics up when I get a min

thanks for the help and advice so far I'm sure I'll have more questions now that I actually have one. Good times

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »
Hi update for any one,

High milage car turned out to be a bit of a dog. Twisted pillar- reAr door not closing easily
engine knocking and when dipped was low and smelling of hydrocarbons- not good apparenltly.
Car had vw stamps but engine bay was a disgrace. The guys at garage picked it apart.

The car had been ruined - 25k of gti gone in 5 years criminal.

Anywho- a good thing that was found out was that after 140k the dsg was still spot on with no oil change done either.

:scared: no DSG fluid change for 140K?! some people are barbarians and ought not to be let near a car!  :surprised:

Offline s4lek

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 12:48:00 am »
Welcome to the forum Benny.

You would have to tell us as i dont think there is much info on DSG with that type of mileage.  :happy2:

To be honest most of the DSG problems are down to mechatronic faults, and if your proposed car had this fault it would have showed up by now.  :happy2:

Just check that it has had the DSG service at the respective intervals. I know the first one is at 40,000 not to sure after that, i am guessing it will have been 80,000 and 120,000.  :smiley:

On the test drive it should feel very smooth at all times.

Hi did  you see this car near Chester.

Offline bennydaz

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »
hi, yes, was near chester if you want some info PM me.