Make a donation

Author Topic: Wind screen replacement/repair  (Read 2786 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Wind screen replacement/repair
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:28:47 pm »
How do all?

Today I've come across a chip in the windscreen with a crack which seems to be growing. Anyway do any of you know if it can't be replaced (which i can't see it being) with a genuine vw screen rather than a RAC/autoglass one if you specify it with your insurance company that you want it replacing with a genuine part?

Any info and advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

I've just had a look at the policy as well which says for any windscreen related issues theres an excess of £70 so I take it thats including chip repairs?

Many thanks Luke

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:36:57 pm by snapey »
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Wind screen replacement/repair
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:43:05 pm »
Autoglass do use genuine screens as I supplied them with genuine Honda all the time when I was in the trade. U can ask them for genuine aswell or they can fix your screen if it's not too bad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:45:23 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:44:18 pm »
You wont get a genuine VW one, there is a long thread on this very subject on the other forum do a search it was started by Alan D i believe.  :happy2:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »
What forum is it?

Luke

Offline NotNormal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:05:53 pm »
You wont get a genuine VW one, there is a long thread on this very subject on the other forum do a search it was started by Alan D i believe.  :happy2:

I had a genuine VW one in my oil burner just before Xmas.
Sadly, i now need another as i have ANOTHER massive un-repaiable chip.....as i repair screens for a living it's abit of a pisser :(
Don't judge me by your ability !

Current daily crapper - Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi SLine Quattro

Previous favourite rides :

BMW E92 335d M/Sport (351/520)
BMW  E92 335d SE (339/500)
Golf MK5 GT170 Diesel Sport (220/330)
Audi S4 (B6) - Noggy blue (366bhp)
Evo VI (6 ;) ) RSII - Scotia White (420bhp)
Astravan Sportive 1.9 CDTi - 190bhp
Astra GTE (MK2) Turbo (

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:20:22 pm »
I will dig out the thread for you later Snapey.  :happy2:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »
Cheers matey, will help a lot just so I've got some clear and concise info about what to expect etc.

I've always been quite anal about having OEM parts on all of my cars rather than cheap imitations of products unless there's substantial proof their stronger, lighter, better fit and do a better job etc.

Luke

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
All sorted, just had a phone call from the glass company, they have taken the chassis number and are ordering a new screen from VW. He said it gets it a lot of request from people with these sorts of cars (hot hatches etc) for a replacement screen rather than just doing the chip and can understand it with this sort of car, which I thought was quite flattering lol..... anyway, just the excess to pay and all sorted.

Luke

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:17 pm »
Not quite the same but related in any case. My wifes 2006 Polo GTI had a brick thoown at it from the wheels of a skip in Dec last year. Put a big enough crack in the windscreen that it needed replacing.

Our insurers are Esure and they use Autogalss. Contacted them and told them it was a Polo but that it was fitted with then sensor at the top of the windscreen for the auto wipers.

When they first turned up, they had a generic windscreen (definaltely not a VW unit) but this was without the sensor (even though I took the time to tell them it had one)  :angry015:

Anyway when the turned up 2 days later (with the correct windscreen) it was a genuine VW piece. I checkd the markings on the Glass and the manufacturer, part number and everything else was identical to the original glass. The only thing different was that it didn't carry the VW logo. When I mentioned this to the fitter, he told me that the galss company wouldn't supply Autogalss with a logo'd screen because of copyright issues. However he showed me that when I looked closely, where the round VW logo was on the original screen, there was a round mark on the replacment in exactly the same location.

The fitter told me that the screens with the sensors are genuine and only the ones without sensors are copies (however I don't know how true this is). Since fitting the new screen the auto wipers have performed as good as ever and generally everything is fine.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr