Make a donation

Author Topic: Panel Filter Fitment - Edition 30?  (Read 35874 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Panel Filter Fitment - Edition 30?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 11:20:13 am »
I've got every confidence in the product regardless of T_T's theories or well presented logic. For what it's worth, the mechanics/technicians at my VW dealer are impressed by it's longevity too. It's clearly doing its job.

<yawn>

Sooooo, your VW stealer confirmed that it had lasted as long as the OEM paper element.  I really don't think that is anything 'praiseworthy' at all!  :indifferent:

And secondly, your VW stealer whipped out your spark plugs, and inspected the cylinder bores?  I strongly doubt it, so how the heck can they (or anyone) state that your air filter is 'clearly doing its job'??? :fighting:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 11:22:54 am »
I'd recommend closely inspecting ANY air filter at every oil-change service - That's 10k miles in my case.

That is massively anal!  So the standard paper air filter is good for 60k miles (or every SIX services if you are on T&D), yet you know better than the vast might of Volkswagens R&D and testing facilities?  :fighting2:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:01 am »

see this is what could happen when youve been eating too much popcorn from this website of late...... :popcornsoda:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 09:59:32 am »

I'd recommend closely inspecting ANY air filter at every oil-change service - That's 10k miles in my case.

That is massively anal!  So the standard paper air filter is good for 60k miles (or every SIX services if you are on T&D), yet you know better than the vast might of Volkswagens R&D and testing facilities?  :fighting2:

....Surely there's no harm in my suggestion to inspect and I fail to see how this states that I know better than the Teutonic hordes of Volkswagen's experts - Clearly I don't and wouldn't claim to. However, in the case of a modified GTI which may be pulling in more air and debris because the oem ram intake has been replaced, I see absolutely no harm in being 'anally' over cautious.

I'm inclined in both the interests of safety and a strong desire to maintain my precious car, to inspect all I can regardless of VW's normal servicing regime. I think I would deserve your derogatory comment more had I been recommending inspection less frequently than VW's handbook.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:58:50 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

see this is what could happen when youve been eating too much popcorn from this website of late...... :popcornsoda:

.... :signLOL: Anymore popcorn like that and I won't be able to fit in my Recaro seats!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 10:28:09 am »
I need a bigger bike, all the popcorn I have been eating lately!  And Robin its costing me feckin fortune!   :scared:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:38 am »
I need a bigger bike, all the popcorn I have been eating lately!  And Robin its costing me feckin fortune!   :scared:

my god dave!!! wouldnt fancy racing you on a traffic light dual  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »
filters are the same
Missed this earlier - but they are NOT the same.  The Ed30 filter is slightly thinner than the standard GTI filter.  Dunno about the airbox though!
------

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »
filters are the same
Missed this earlier - but they are NOT the same.  The Ed30 filter is slightly thinner than the standard GTI filter.  Dunno about the airbox though!

I was referring to the aftermarket filters that are available smart @rse :smiley:, they are all the same they do not differentiate between the two models

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 11:34:15 am »
filters are the same

I was referring to the aftermarket filters that are available smart @rse :smiley:, they are all the same they do not differentiate between the two models
Ahhhhhh - but you didn't make that too clear earlier! :P

So if the aftermarket ones are the same, that would conclude that the Ed30 and standard GTI airboxes are the same.  Therefore, for those wishing to stay safe with OEM paper filters, standard GTIs could use the thinner Ed30 filter.
------

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:46 pm »
filters are the same

Ahhhhhh - but you didn't make that too clear earlier! :P

So if the aftermarket ones are the same, that would conclude that the Ed30 and standard GTI airboxes are the same.  Therefore, for those wishing to stay safe with OEM paper filters, standard GTIs could use the thinner Ed30 filter.

As far as I know all the TFSI airbox's are the same across the VAG range, in fact the one on my car is a Cupra item :smiley: