Make a donation

Author Topic: Vauxhall are to offer lifetime waranty !  (Read 7012 times)

Nasir

Re: Vauxhall are to offer lifetime waranty !
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 12:36:47 am »
but the inference is that the Vauxhall won't last 100,000 miles.

It sounds good to say "lifetime" and many people don't keep a car beyond 100k miles (assuming it lasts that long!).

dont be so ridiculous.

why would a vauxhall not last more than 100k.  have a quick search of autotrader for vauxhalls and you will find over 1800 cars with over 100k for sale, and that's not taking into account the ones that aren't for sale. Which is surprising really when as you say they will have fallen apart by then.

lets talk about VAGs, and how much work they will require over 100k, quite a lot id wager. They are just as prone to going wrong as many of the other manufacturers.  There are a massive amount of threads on the various forums asking about problems that have occured on the different Vag vehicles on unmodified sub 60k cars that are no longer under warrantee.  VW dont offer a 100k warrantee because it would cost them an arm and a leg to maintain.  

life doesnt begin and end with VW, they might be well put together, and have above average interiors and a quality feel to them, but they do go wrong just as much as others, in fact correct me im wrong didnt your suffer a premature turbo failure?

Can't say I agree with that, in my opinion a VW is made to last longer so long as it's maintained well. In the two years of Golf ownership I've had 2 things go wrong, both parts were only £60 and apparently common switches. Ok some things will inevitably go wrong in production with some cars but that's luck. Whereas say Vauxhall may not have as strict quality control or internal parts manufactured to as high a standard as VW, making them cheaper to buy.

They'll offer this lifetime warranty because not many people keep a car more than a couple of years so it's more a sales gimmick. Even if you kept it for the lifetime they won't pay out for anything major towards the end.

edd666999sMrs

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 01:31:54 am »

It sounds good to say "lifetime" and many people don't keep a car beyond 100k miles (assuming it lasts that long!).

dont be so ridiculous.

why would a vauxhall not last more than 100k.  have a quick search of autotrader for vauxhalls and you will find over 1800 cars with over 100k for sale, and that's not taking into account the ones that aren't for sale. Which is surprising really when as you say they will have fallen apart by then.

lets talk about VAGs, and how much work they will require over 100k, quite a lot id wager. They are just as prone to going wrong as many of the other manufacturers.  There are a massive amount of threads on the various forums asking about problems that have occured on the different Vag vehicles on unmodified sub 60k cars that are no longer under warrantee.  VW dont offer a 100k warrantee because it would cost them an arm and a leg to maintain.  

life doesnt begin and end with VW, they might be well put together, and have above average interiors and a quality feel to them, but they do go wrong just as much as others, in fact correct me im wrong didnt your suffer a premature turbo failure?

Can't say I agree with that, in my opinion a VW is made to last longer so long as it's maintained well. In the two years of Golf ownership I've had 2 things go wrong, both parts were only £60 and apparently common switches. Ok some things will inevitably go wrong in production with some cars but that's luck. Whereas say Vauxhall may not have as strict quality control or internal parts manufactured to as high a standard as VW, making them cheaper to buy.

They'll offer this lifetime warranty because not many people keep a car more than a couple of years so it's more a sales gimmick. Even if you kept it for the lifetime they won't pay out for anything major towards the end.

2 things in 2 years isnt exactly impressive if you think about it...

In 3+ years ownership of my Mitsu i never had a single thing go wrong. ever.  :happy2:

But as VRSY says, every manufacturer has its problems

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 07:31:00 am »

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Was thinking the same thing.

Well said!

I have always had a VW in my garage in one form or another, but I have to say i agree.  2 steering racks, 2 seat bases, 2 wheel bearings, a Dual mass flywheel, aircon comp.  Not bad for 2 years of Ed30 ownership.

Still I liked the car.

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:38:43 am »
my astra vxr only had a maf and seat bolster in 36k...true they dont feel as well put together but there far from poor build...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:45 am »
^^^^
I think we're all generalising too much here.

ALL cars can have their failures and problems whether Vauxhall or Volkswagen. And it's not generic either - An INDIVIDUAL car can have its problems - It's not surprising when you consider how many components a modern car has.

Vauxhall used to have a poor reputation but have greatly improved over recent years, as have Alfa Romeo's. French cars have, rightly or wrongly, a currently poor reputation for build quality but all German cars are perceived, at least by the British, as having the best build quality. Jap cars? Well, unbeatable value-for-money if that's your bag but don't mention Toyota and its recent death traps.

The point being missed by some here though is that Vauxhall's lifetime warranty is in practice just a sales marketing ploy in an endless brand competition regardless of their quality and we like to banter and joke about other car brands don't we  :grin:

^ I'd include Porsche and VAG in that T-shirt slogan ^
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:49:58 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:23 am »

You've taken my brief words far too seriously and combined them with what others have posted  :grin:

Of course ALL cars can go wrong.. You don't really think I'm that stupid do you?

as said before i definately dont think your stupid, but i do think its ridiculous

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 11:25:27 am »

You've taken my brief words far too seriously and combined them with what others have posted  :grin:

Of course ALL cars can go wrong.. You don't really think I'm that stupid do you?

as said before i definately dont think your stupid, but i do think its ridiculous

....Methinks we can agree to differ without any hard feelings  :happy2:

I think my Reply #19 accurately and without ambiguity offers my opinion.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 11:28:27 am »
it does :happy2:

one thing though, it doesnt say to what extent the 100k warrantee extends to, does it reduce over time to include less cover?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 11:34:51 am »

one thing though, it doesnt say to what extent the 100k warrantee extends to, does it reduce over time to include less cover?

....Good point!  :happy2:

I expect it'll be in the small print though and not their front line advertising (surprise, surprise). And I hasten to add that info would be similarly presented by all car manufacturers.

As Mandy posted earlier: the key will be the 100k mileage limitation.

Thinking about it further, I expect some other manufacturers would be able to support a 100k mileage warranty if they wanted to.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:37:58 am by RedRobin »

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:12 pm »
Imagine killing the engine at 90 odd k,  :P at Vauxhall...

I understand the banter towards Vauxhal and their unreliability but in all honesty I had more problems with my ED30 than my sporthatch...given the choice, I would still have the ED30 all day long  :smiley:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633