Make a donation

Author Topic: Which Coilovers  (Read 5751 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Which Coilovers
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 11:05:31 pm »
@ Janner_Sy:

I think we're mostly agreed  :drinking:. Especially on the point of a coilover setup being professionally done - It's what makes the difference imo.

Bilsteins are easier to change the settings than KW's. A good example of someone who changes settings is Hurdy who does road, track, and dragstrip. Mine are left alone as setup for 'fast road' and occasional track - A slight compromise but it works for what I do.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:26 pm »

Coilovers are overhyped with the only benefit being that you can set the ride height to change the look of the car, no real handling or performance gains to be had on an every day car.

Possibly the biggest load of rubbish i have read this year. Are you seriously suggesting that the handling is not improved over stock  after fitting coilovers.  :surprised:

You missed my point, I was comparing coilovers to a high quality fixed height/damping kit  :happy2:

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »
 :happy2:

Thanks for all the advice all very interesting and obviously a real point of debate.

As was pointed out, i do a lot of motorway miles but mostly at night so 'nippy' would be a reasonable adjective. I also live rurally so there is plenty of hard 'B' road driving being done.

I guess my question should have been clearer. Lowering is nice but not really my main issue - so if you exclude the odd track day, what would get me better control on bumpy 'B' roads but not kill me with too much crashing on the motorway?

Thanks

p.s. just found these - http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/Golf%205%20Pages/Golf%20Suspension%20Sports%20Springs.html - thanks to RedRobins' sig file - is this not almost the best solution?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:39:34 pm by alastairc »
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »
the oni FSD/eibach spring combo gives a better than oem ride, whilst lowering and improved handling.  ive heard that the bilstein B12s are better still. 

when it comes to bumpy roads, the key is to have a really good set of dampers, so you could just fit a good set of dampers like the bilsteins and keep your standard height springs

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 01:15:41 am »
the Koni FSD/eibach spring combo gives a better than oem ride, whilst lowering and improved handling.  ive heard that the bilstein B12s are better still. 

when it comes to bumpy roads, the key is to have a really good set of dampers, so you could just fit a good set of dampers like the bilsteins and keep your standard height springs

.... x 2

I had the KoniFSD + Eibach springs combo and it was great for everyday road use. Don't forget Anti-Roll Bars - They complete the package.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:01 pm »
Hi,

best place to buy  - KoniFSD + Eibach springs combo?

Would rather have a recommendation than a random website buy....
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »
out of interest, how much is the FSD and eibach combo?  if its over £400 then also take a look at the B12 kit, I have driven with both and the B12 is far better IMO.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 12:41:19 pm »
Just had a look through my trade catalogue and the FSD and eibach springs combo comes to around £705 based on RRP  :surprised:

Best price I could find on the web is £600 as a combo deal. Thats more expensive than the B12 kit.

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:39 pm »
Just had a look through my trade catalogue and the FSD and eibach springs combo comes to around £705 based on RRP  :surprised:

Best price I could find on the web is £600 as a combo deal. Thats more expensive than the B12 kit.

Might be worth paying you a visit then?

Could move off Bluefin onto a custom map and get the suspension sorted at the same time?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 01:07:07 pm »
I wasnt trying to gain business or sell products by posting in this thread, but just offer good advice, the truth is that I could have any suspension kit on my Mk5 as most manufacturers actively try and give away their products to tuning companies to use on their own cars, i was offered a kit that retails at over £1200 for just £170 but I didnt need the ability to adjust ride height, camber, bump, rebound, ride height and preload on an every day road car, and the B12 kit works just as well in real world conditions.

But if you want a B12 kit, or to try mine by having a go in my own ED30 then thats fine. I can also help you with a map, we offer REVO and our own custom dyno tuned software.

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 01:15:55 pm »
I wasnt trying to gain business or sell products by posting in this thread, but just offer good advice, the truth is that I could have any suspension kit on my Mk5 as most manufacturers actively try and give away their products to tuning companies to use on their own cars, i was offered a kit that retails at over £1200 for just £170 but I didnt need the ability to adjust ride height, camber, bump, rebound, ride height and preload on an every day road car, and the B12 kit works just as well in real world conditions.

But if you want a B12 kit, or to try mine by having a go in my own ED30 then thats fine. I can also help you with a map, we offer REVO and our own custom dyno tuned software.

i didn't think you were - so no worries there - just think it may be time for a sutom map based on kit i have on the car. As well as a RR test  - which I have never done..

Do you want to PM me a quote for both suspension options, a RR and a custom remap?

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:47 pm »
Maybe even just these really:

http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/Golf%205%20Pages/Golf%20Suspension%20Sports%20Springs.html

Do the new dampers make a significant change?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06:02 pm »
Do the new dampers make a significant change?
It is only dampers which control the 'quality' of the ride - and top quaility dampers will always give better results over top spec springs.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline alan_n

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 04:03:50 pm »
I went with FK Highsport coilovers on mine, really firm setup. Would probably go for AP's next time round