Make a donation

Author Topic: Rusty hub painting  (Read 17037 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Rusty hub painting
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 08:35:34 pm »
I Waxoyled it because many areas on the Golf V don't seem to have any rust protection at all.  Remove the undertray, or any of the wheel arch liners, and there is zippo there - just a basecoat of paint.  Now, bearing in mind when I posted about the rust trap in the rear wheel arches (thread on the other side - went down with the sinking of the Titanic!  :evilgrin:), I reckon prevention is always better than cure when it comes to corrosion.

Even the box sections didn't have any!  :mad:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »
Yes, And i have already been told off, Got a little bit to much on the hub at first, so wiped the lot off. the bolts were rolled round on a clean cloth after the re-spray as well.  :ashamed: :ashamed:  :grin:

Huh.  But as well as the actual bolts, you also need to apply it to the large face where the wheel meets the disc, and also around the black "ring" which centralises the wheel.

I don't know what neck of the woods you are from, but if you have a branch of www.Cromwell.co.uk nearby, pop in and they sell "pritt-stick" like tubes of Loctite anti-seize paste.

Thanks for the advice, i applied it to the aforementioned parts as well i even bought a little wire brush to lightly clean the inside of the wheel were it meets the hub.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »
I Waxoyled it because many areas on the Golf V don't seem to have any rust protection at all.  Remove the undertray, or any of the wheel arch liners, and there is zippo there - just a basecoat of paint.  Now, bearing in mind when I posted about the rust trap in the rear wheel arches (thread on the other side - went down with the sinking of the Titanic!  :evilgrin:), I reckon prevention is always better than cure when it comes to corrosion.

perhaps post it up here , would be interested to read it again, get mine protected  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 08:44:59 pm »
Yes, And i have already been told off, Got a little bit to much on the hub at first, so wiped the lot off. the bolts were rolled round on a clean cloth after the re-spray as well.  :ashamed: :ashamed:  :grin:

Huh.  But as well as the actual bolts, you also need to apply it to the large face where the wheel meets the disc, and also around the black "ring" which centralises the wheel.

I don't know what neck of the woods you are from, but if you have a branch of www.Cromwell.co.uk nearby, pop in and they sell "pritt-stick" like tubes of Loctite anti-seize paste.

Thanks for the advice, i applied it to the aforementioned parts as well i even bought a little wire brush to lightly clean the inside of the wheel were it meets the hub.

OK, cool.  I just thought you drowned your bolts!

So, are you a tight northener, or a miserable southener?  Maybe sheep-sha&&er, or an east anglian interbred?  :evilgrin:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 08:48:34 pm »

perhaps post it up here , would be interested to read it again, get mine protected  :happy2:

What, the rust traps thread?  It got lost in the downtime.  :sad:

I'll see if I can sort sommat out again.  But I still have five pages of notes from my intercooler install, and I really want to make that into a PDF.  :fighting2:

Anyone know of a decent PDF creater, and more importantly, is simple to use for computer thickies like me!  :rolleye:
------

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 08:52:17 pm »

What, the rust traps thread?  It got lost in the downtime.  :sad:

I'll see if I can sort sommat out again.  But I still have five pages of notes from my intercooler install, and I really want to make that into a PDF.  :fighting2:

Anyone know of a decent PDF creater, and more importantly, is simple to use for computer thickies like me!  :rolleye:

Just use a PDF printer like PDF995 (Free) then you can do all the hard work in something friendly (ish) like MS Word  :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:03:12 pm »
Just use a PDF printer like PDF995 (Free) then you can do all the hard work in something friendly (ish) like MS Word  :smiley:

So you make a document in Word, then you can actually save it as a PDF ??  Is it really that simple, or am I being fik?
------

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:36 pm »
I down loaded one of them free from microsoft office add-ons dont know how to use it though.  :signIWS:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:47 pm »

So you make a document in Word, then you can actually save it as a PDF ??  Is it really that simple, or am I being fik?

The PDF995 program sets itself up as a virtual printer so you create the document in Word then print it to the PDF printer and it will ask you for the file name. It's easy peasy once you have it instaled  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »
Is it just me, or does the title sound a bit rude!

Rusty hub painting !! :rolleye: :rolleye:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:20 pm »
Is it just me, or does the title sound a bit rude!

Rusty hub painting !! :rolleye: :rolleye:

I believe he's working on the sequal to this, it's called "painting my rusty bell end", now that does sound rude  :P :laugh:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:22:35 pm »
Painting my Rusty Balloon knot is the final part of the trilogy! :fighting:

Offline OJZ 3127

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 12:36:31 am »
After reading this i think i mite try and do mine this week.