Make a donation

Author Topic: Jacking the car up.  (Read 12187 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Jacking the car up.
« on: November 02, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »
OK TT pointed me to these on http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=95479.0

And as usual i am still confused,can i buy them from A VW dealer or do i get them from ECS TT mentioned his dealer couldnt find the parts. Would i still Quote the same part number if i had to get them from ECS sorry for my  :signIWS: behaviour.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Jacking the car up.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:47:19 pm »
The part no. he listed are VAG ones so any VAG dealer should be able to get them  :smiley:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »
The part no. he listed are VAG ones so any VAG dealer should be able to get them  :smiley:

Even thought they have universal VW/Audi numbers, in reality, your VW dealership computer won't let them order it for you there.
You will have to go to an Audi dealership to get them!
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:37:47 pm »
TC it would be much cheaper to get them off any Audi dealership as the cost price from ECS is more expensive plus you'll have to pay postage and packaging. The latter is not cheap as ECS only ship using USP.

hth

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:56 am »
TC it would be much cheaper to get them off any Audi dealership as the cost price from ECS is more expensive plus you'll have to pay postage and packaging. The latter is not cheap as ECS only ship using USP.

hth

Even thought they have universal VW/Audi numbers, in reality, your VW dealership computer won't let them order it for you there.
You will have to go to an Audi dealership to get them!

Thankyou thats exactly the info i was after.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:39 am »
More than likely they will not have the items in stock but the restocking time should be no more than two days.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:24:59 am »
I am amazed more people dont ask about these its difficult to find jacking points and places to sit the axle stands, i used the anti-lift kit place last time and piece of wood it certainly was not ideal.  :surprised:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »
I would still be carefull with using axle stands with these lift pads.  They are really meant for trolley jacks, which have a circular cup.  Axle stands often have a V shaped fork, which is better suited on much harder underbody points.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 02:32:47 pm »
I would still be carefull with using axle stands with these lift pads.  They are really meant for trolley jacks, which have a circular cup.  Axle stands often have a V shaped fork, which is better suited on much harder underbody points.

Yes i agree i only intend using them for the trolley jack i just find it strange the lack places to put them and the lack of threads ever started on the subject,
I just dont fancy even being around the car with them scissor jacks in use let a lone being under it.  :scared:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:47:41 pm »
I just dont fancy even being around the car with them scissor jacks in use let a lone being under it.  :scared:

The "widow maker" isn't actually that bad.  Infact, for simple jobs like whipping a wheel off for a clean and polish, it is perfectly OK - providing you don't actually get under the car (or let kids play inside the car!)
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

veedub18

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »

The "widow maker" isn't actually that bad.  Infact, for simple jobs like whipping a wheel off for a clean and polish, it is perfectly OK - providing you don't actually get under the car (or let kids play inside the car!)

A guy got crushed under his Audi using one of those jacks over here in Guernsey a few months ago, the "widowmaker" is an apt name for it. Dont EVER go under a car without axle stands, even for just a short time.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/2008/06/21/man-crushed-to-death/

I have a trolley jack and 2 x 3 tonne axle stands which I use before crawling around under the car. Does anyone have a pic of where the best place is to jack up the GTI using a jack with a circular head? I used the aluminium square mount point at the front of the car last time, it lifted both wheels then I put the axle stands underneath on the wishbone parts. 

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:04:51 pm »
thats weird, i jacked my car up today to change wheels and those rubber mounting points were there ?

I thought they were not standard ? or am i getting confused.com ?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:21:32 pm »
thats weird, i jacked my car up today to change wheels and those rubber mounting points were there ?

hmm, what year is your car?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:16:07 pm »

just double check they are one and the same, i am sure there were similar looking bits under there. for the front ones you have to remove a little bit of the under tray.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 08:52:07 pm »
Also once you have got it jacked-up with the trolley jack where is the best place to put the axel stands on the front and the rear??