Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Daytime Running Light LED's....  (Read 116842 times)

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Daytime Running Light LED's....
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »
Carl you are a true gent!

The first thing I was going to do was look up muckipups thread but you did it for me!  :drinking:

I think Im going to order a set to have a play with just to see how they might fit in a GT fog grille.

Carl if you find yourself with a spare minute would you mind measuring the length and width of these for me?

Lee.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:52:04 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »
Lee approximate Dimensions are:

Width 190mm
Height 30mm
Depth 35mm

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2010, 10:03:44 am »
Thanks Carl,

Ill have a measure up  :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

As I have an R32, the slatted from grills lend themselves to the strips rather than the fog light/spots. However, I'm not a fan of the S6 units as I think they are just too much. And it's already been done several times over.

....In my web surfing travels when I was researching how to do mine, I came across S6 units on Mk5 R32's and a How-To (in German IIRC) which had lots of pics and showed cutting of metalwork. In other words not too straightforward. I don't have a link anymore.

Cheers Robin, I'm well aware of the work required to fit the S6 units, all part of why I'm avoiding them. It's not that I'm lazy or dislike a challenge. I just think there could be better solutions. I'm looking for something shorter and slimmer that'll be a little more descreet and ideally, removeable with no permanent modification. It's highly likely I won't even go ahead and install DRLS, it's just something I'm toying with at the moment. Haven't made up my mind whether I like them or not. I might just wait and buy a Golf R.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »
Well after measuring up they wil fit in the GT slatted fog grilles quite nicely but Iv decided against it.

I already have non standard xenons from Hella that have a celis light bar and I just think drls would be a step too far.

Thanks for measuring up though Carl  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:55 pm »

Well after measuring up they wil fit in the GT slatted fog grilles quite nicely but Iv decided against it.

I already have non standard xenons from Hella that have a celis light bar and I just think drls would be a step too far.

....Well, now you know you can always do it in the future if you change your mind.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »
Cheers Robin,

Although Ill hopefully have my fair share of LEDS so enough is enough  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »
Cheers Robin,

Although Ill hopefully have my fair share of LEDS so enough is enough  :wink:

....We live in hope!  :wink:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:51 am »
handy topic.
So, am i right in thinking, if you have zenons you can turn this DRL feature on via vagcom, this turns sidelights on permanently?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2011, 11:13:29 am »
handy topic.
So, am i right in thinking, if you have zenons you can turn this DRL feature on via vagcom, this turns sidelights on permanently?

....Are you wanting to use sidelights as daytime running lights? Strictly speaking they're not the correct spec to qualify as DRL's - You'd just be using them in the hope of your car being more visible and Mk5 Golf sidelights are disappointedly weak.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Hella Daytime Running Light LED's....
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2011, 11:26:10 am »
no i was just thinking of attaching to the loom.
maybe i missed something, there is somewhere else to hook in?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:24:18 pm by SteveS »

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:08 pm »
^^^^
Dunno - My VW dealer did all mine for me. Someone else here will know.

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »
An interesting read, Im still in two minds about this mod, Audi's have this down to a tee however some of the mods I feel can look tacky...

I will try and dig out a picture of my old Polo 6n2, I payed considerable money (at the time) for custom fog light DRLS using CCFL halo rings which are pretty cheap now - it loooked awesome - won me a few shows in fact :)