Make a donation

Author Topic: GTi >>> ED30  (Read 13651 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: GTi >>> ED30
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:38 pm »
^^^^
Of course! Sorry, Jonny, I forgot!

That sig you have is awesome! It says it all :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »
well i can happily say i've driven the mk5 gti, the ed30 and the r32 back to back before i bought my mk4 r32 (at the time the mk5 wasn't available in candy, the moment i could get it i got it so now have a mk5 as well)

my honest opinion, if you want a power get the ed30, cheaper to tune

if you want a bigger soundtrack get the r32, but dont be under the illusion theyre affordable to tune, no way.

for a map, induction and zorst you can maybe budget for £600-£800, in the ed30 you'll be looking at up to 50 more horses taking you to around 300bhp. the same in an r32 will gain you maybe 6-10bhp but a smoother and more responsive throttle

to get the REAL power out of the R32 you need to turbo it or charge it, and i would budget a good £5-6k for that privaledge

the mrs has an eos with the gti engine and thats tuned to 243bhp from 195bhp to the point the wheels don't grip the way i want them too, but the performance is 'fun' yet can get annoying sometimes with the loss of traction

the r32 grips AAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day long and i wuss out of corners before it does, and it loves the wet!

cars depreciate, thats a fact, i lost £5k the second i signed for mine but thats not what its about for me. the deals on the r32 atm are very very good, and theyre not as bad on fuel as you think.

summary, if you want a tuner car, get a gti preferably the ed30 ftw. get an r32 because you want an r32 (and warn your bank manager you like to mod  :laugh:)

nuthin like 4 wheel drive and a screaming V6  :happy2:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 12:42:46 pm »
If you spare the money, get a quaife fitted... I have 350/360bhp going through the front wheels on my Ed30 and don't get much wheel spin at all anymore after getting a quaife fitted.

How much was that Mate?

....Supply and install incl vat - About £1,500 for DSG version and £1,200 for Manual. Not a job for someone who doesn't have experience.

Both illyun and myself had it done by VW Racing - VERY experienced! - Phone Mark at VWR 01908 210088.

HTH

Thanks, sorry for hijack  :embarrassed:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline RobMKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »
Wow thanks for all the replies,

It seems the ED30 i was interested is in turning into a bidding war so im staying out of it.

Not sure what to do yet as hopefully if all goes through this week i will be moving house, the new house is 2 miles
from work so it seems a shame to have the car sitting around as i work 6 days a week.

I think my options are -

A) ED30 few tweeks

B) R32

C) Integra DC2 save abit of £££ and do some track days, use the GFs Audi when needed,

Will miss this forum if i decide to go the Honda route though  :sad:
New Golf on the Way :D

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 03:58:56 pm »

Totally agree  :grin:
Roll on some good dry weather because i can't get any traction atm.

If you spare the money, get a quaife fitted... I have 350/360bhp going through the front wheels on my Ed30 and don't get much wheel spin at all anymore after getting a quaife fitted.
[/quote]

How much was that Mate?
[/quote]

I got mine done by VWRacing for £1470, although you could possibly get it done under £1400 if you looked elsewhere.  I paid the extra because VWR  have an excellent record with racing VWs over the past 10 years.  Its the cost of some decent aftermarket BBS alloys and a very good investment.

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »
great read. i like the honest opinions and not biased towards one side.

having only just thought the mk5 may fit the bill for what i'm after (currently have an audi tt 225 model)

wanting something with a bit more rear passenger space and from what i have read, summaries to:
gti - cheapest to buy, and having read around a remap would see a nice 230-240bhp being more realistic and useable

ed30 - still expensive due to limited edition like all golfs. temptation would be to remap as well, but taking the power over the capabilities of the standard setup of front wheel grip etc

r32 - v6 sound, smooth, more of a cruiser, adequate performance with grip

i like mine for the turbo punch, but turbo tuning can get addictive and the quattro i assume works wonder as i don't think about grip as it grips, compared to my previous high revving celica vvtli i had (which was fun)

it's deffo a hard choice. wish mine had more space
MKV Golf DSG

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 11:22:45 pm »
celica,  the 2.0T is so much smoother even when remapped than the 1.8T is, you still feel the turbo but just not as .. how to put it ..  vicious

Rob, you've had plenty of GTI's so maybe an Ed30/Pirelli model might be the next step but like others have said - they are effectively the same car, one just having slightly more power if you need it - dont you fancy something different, was that your 2nd or 3rd GTI?

Offline RobMKV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:10 pm »
True Neg im not sure an ED30 would be that much of a change plus i would always add the exterior bits on
as i'd miss how my current GTi looks,

Maybe an R32 then theres nothing else i like  :confused:
New Golf on the Way :D

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:24 pm »
I though the same, I dont see it being worth the £5k it would probably cost me to change for what would be the same car but maybe less features (mine having all the options too)...

I reckon I will keep hold of mine now as I cant see what I could replace it with just yet.  Maybe eventually pass it onto the Mrs and get a mk6 GTI even.. who know. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 01:04:31 am »
^^^^
Or a R20?............

:evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Or you could keep your GTI and fit an ED30 turbo  :wink:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 10:37:34 am »

shameless plug  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

shameless plug  :rolleye:

Yep!  :grin:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Ifti

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 06:23:16 pm »
How much more costly is the R32 to generally run and maintain over the ED30 though?

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 06:36:06 pm »
How much more costly is the R32 to generally run and maintain over the ED30 though?

TBH I don't think there is a huge difference between the two. I had a highly tuned ED30 and my overall average was 24mpg. I can't see an R32 being any lower than that to be honest  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic