Make a donation

Author Topic: VW T40057 Oil Drainage Tool - UK Part No.?  (Read 37459 times)

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: VW T40057 Oil Drainage Tool - UK Part No.?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 10:27:33 am »
Haha. Agreed and agreed  :signLOL:

I looked at the photo's and wondered about their durability, then started wonder how I could make my own  :happy2:

Having not yet changed my oil yet Sean, how hard is the valve to push up to release it?  Do you think enough to potentially snap the lug's off then?  If they did snap off, would they get lodged in and create a problem?

Need to way up possibilties before being the guinea pig.  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
Haha. Agreed and agreed  :signLOL:

I looked at the photo's and wondered about their durability, then started wonder how I could make my own  :happy2:

Having not yet changed my oil yet Sean, how hard is the valve to push up to release it?  Do you think enough to potentially snap the lug's off then?  If they did snap off, would they get lodged in and create a problem?

Need to way up possibilties before being the guinea pig.  :happy2:
The valve has quite a beefy return spring on it, so it takes quite a bit of force.  But the problem of using a screwdriver to release it is that you may end up canting the valve over at an angle, and then not be able to re-seat it - and this could also be an issue if one or more of those tags snaps off.  And the other issue of releasing it with a screwdriver is that you WILL get an armfull of hot oil.  If you have a friendly farm vet - blag a few of those really long gloves that go up to your armpit - the ones they use when the vet sticks his arm up a cows ar$e or fanny!

If those tags do happen to snap off, I can't see them getting wedged anywhere - they'll probably just drop out when you unscrew it.

And it isn't a necessity to use that tool.  If you havn't got one, just get an old corn flakes packet and fold it into a v-shaped funnel (shiny side to oil) and wedge it under the filter bowl.

Probably the biggest issue is finding a socket big enough to undo the filter bowl.  It is 36mm, and ideally, you need a 6 point socket, rather than a 12 point.  And don't be gash - my local Audi stealer used a pair of fcuking STILSONS to remove the filter bowl on my RS4 - they really are utter incompetent w@nkers!!!! :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Oh, and don't over-tighten it either - it says '25+5Nm' on the bowl for a reason.  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 11:51:54 am »
Probably the biggest issue is finding a socket big enough to undo the filter bowl.  It is 36mm, and ideally, you need a 6 point socket, rather than a 12 point.  And don't be gash - my local Audi stealer used a pair of fcuking STILSONS to remove the filter bowl on my RS4 - they really are utter incompetent w@nkers!!!! :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Oh, and don't over-tighten it either - it says '25+5Nm' on the bowl for a reason.  :wink:

Stilsons.  Bloody butchers!  :fighting:

I just checked the price of T40057 and our cost is £85.35 + vat!  :surprised:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 01:04:37 pm »

Stilsons.  Bloody butchers!  :fighting:
Yup, there are huge teeth marks - w@nkers tried to deny it.  But that is just one of a huge series of bodges and incompetencies!

I just checked the price of T40057 and our cost is £85.35 + vat!  :surprised:
Is that via TPS?

I wonder if I tried to purchase a job lot from my supplier - what do peeps think would be an acceptable price to pay?
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »
I wonder if I tried to purchase a job lot from my supplier - what do peeps think would be an acceptable price to pay?

I'd be willing to pay around £20 for one.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »

Eeeek - I doubt I could touch that!
------

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 04:47:46 pm »

Eeeek - I doubt I could touch that!

What sort of price do you think maybe acheivable ?

:popcornsoda:

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 06:41:22 pm »
Guys what are you messing about at.  :wink:Just use a screwdriver to push it up and hook it over then when drained push it back. I have done 10 changes this way on my car with no problems. :happy2:
Yes, but it's rather messy that way!  The idea of the tool is that it keeps oil away from the after-run coolant pump and other gubbins which won't appreciate being showered in hot oil!

Whilst I appreciate your point its really not hard to avoid getting covered in oil, you just move your arm and use a long screwdriver. I often cover my hand in an old rag which offers some protection. And as for getting other things covered in oil the nipple points straight down with nothing in its way to get covered, its not pressurised and is quite robust. If it stays up you simply move it back with your hands when you take the oil filter out.

IMO you simply dont need the tool

:drinking:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:42:55 pm by bodger00 »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:57 pm »
Guys what are you messing about at.  :wink:Just use a screwdriver to push it up and hook it over then when drained push it back. I have done 10 changes this way on my car with no problems. :happy2:
Yes, but it's rather messy that way!  The idea of the tool is that it keeps oil away from the after-run coolant pump and other gubbins which won't appreciate being showered in hot oil!

Whilst I appreciate your point its really not hard to avoid getting covered in oil, you just move your arm and use a long screwdriver. I often cover my hand in an old rag which offers some protection. And as for getting other things covered in oil the nipple points straight down with nothing in its way to get covered, its not pressurised and is quite robust. If it stays up you simply move it back with your hands when you take the oil filter out.

IMO you simply dont need the tool

:drinking:

I know you don't need the tool - but it does help.  :grouphug:

Oh, can you train the monkeys at my local stealer how to drain oil without spilling it everywhere?  :evilgrin:
------

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:11 pm »
Our local TPS wont sell tools to anyone as they say they are not allowed.  I have an alternative supplier for tools.  Im sure the tool could just be copied easily enough.

Tbh ive never got oil from an FSi filter on my self.  The newer 2.7/3.0 tdi's oil sump drain on the other hand  :laugh:

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:40 pm »
Well, this Mobilfaction would do a GB at $15 eack inc postage to 1 UK address for a minimum of 8 drain tool's.

May take a while to get 8 people wanting one.

Any update to a genuine one (at reduced cost)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
Our local TPS wont sell tools to anyone as they say they are not allowed.
Someone is feeding you BS.  The only time TPS wont sell tools is if they don't have the part number - TPS have no facility to look - unlike the actual stealers.

I have an alternative supplier for tools.
Care to share?  PM me if you prefer! :wink:

Im sure the tool could just be copied easily enough.
The genuine tool is really well engineered - with a lovely swivel in the brass connector.  That yankie plastic one doesn't have the swivel, so when you tighten it to the filter bowl, the hose will swing like a spitting rattlesnake!  :grin:
------

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:22 am »
Someone is feeding you BS.  The only time TPS wont sell tools is if they don't have the part number - TPS have no facility to look - unlike the actual stealers.

Give them a call on 01908 625000.  Even with part numbers they still say thay cant do tools.

I will pop you a PM

The genuine tool is really well engineered - with a lovely swivel in the brass connector.  That yankie plastic one doesn't have the swivel, so when you tighten it to the filter bowl, the hose will swing like a spitting rattlesnake!  :grin:

Shame that.  Do you know who makes this tool for VAG?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 10:56:25 am »
I think the original tool is made by Matra.

ECS have a copy of it - http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Tools/Maintenance_Tools/ES8616/

It would also be worth ordering one of their 6 point sockets too - http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/ES240945/

The ECS parts are manufactured by http://www.schwabentools.com/ who sell via ECS or http://www.pelicanparts.com/index.htm
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »

Give them a call on 01908 625000.  Even with part numbers they still say thay cant do tools.
That is maybe an anomoly from your local TPS branch - because mine is still able to order in tools.

I will pop you a PM
Nowt rec'd yet!

Shame that.  Do you know who makes this tool for VAG?
I'm not 100% sure - but most VAG oil related tools are made by Hilgendorf (well the DSG filler and the Haldex filler defo are).  I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
------