Make a donation

Author Topic: DRLs - anyone tried these? ** now with pics on pg10 **  (Read 110462 times)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
Re: DRLs - anyone tried these?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 01:58:49 am »
I've just ordered a set of the clear ones (they come as smoked or clear).  Watch this space! Review to follow..

Paul.  :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 08:33:50 am »
Any chance of scanning and posting the wiring instructions?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 10:07:54 am »
Two years ago I so would have had those! As I said before: I'm extremely happy with mine but the whole purchase cost me a pretty penny even with discounts.

How many LED bulbs are there in each unit? Looks like 4.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=13h6co7d2u78jkp24ou8kquus2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 10:25:23 am »
I've tried to enable my sidelights in my xenons as DRL.... but I can't seem to get them to work! :sad1:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 10:39:46 am »
People who are considering DRL might find this Kufatec wiring harness interesting, looks like you can use it to achieve a number of the more complicated DRL functions such as dimming when lights are activated, and dimming on one side when indicators are activated, as well as for coming/leaving home functionality.
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1661_c275_Daytime-Running-Lights-LED---Interface---VW-Audi-universal.html

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:22 pm »
I've tried to enable my sidelights in my xenons as DRL.... but I can't seem to get them to work! :sad1:
I think there is a country specific setting in VCDS.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »
People who are considering DRL might find this Kufatec wiring harness interesting, looks like you can use it to achieve a number of the more complicated DRL functions such as dimming when lights are activated, and dimming on one side when indicators are activated, as well as for coming/leaving home functionality.
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1661_c275_Daytime-Running-Lights-LED---Interface---VW-Audi-universal.html
That is specific to fitting Kufatecs own LED strips.  It may not work with those shown in the OP.
------

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 01:30:23 pm »
That is specific to fitting Kufatecs own LED strips.  It may not work with those shown in the OP.

I realise that, but the circuit board could be used with adapted plugs and provide some more advanced functionality beyond standard on with ignition and off with headlights.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 02:19:04 pm »

I realise that, but the circuit board could be used with adapted plugs and provide some more advanced functionality beyond standard on with ignition and off with headlights.
OK - but you need to be good with electrickery! :P  I'm good with spanners, but shyte at copper spaghetti on cars!  :ashamed:  Maybe I used to design car electrics on Italian cars in a previous life. :evilgrin:
------

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 06:10:07 pm »
5 LEDs per side apparently.  Let me at least receive the units before you start asking for instructions, etc!!   :happy2: 

They do include dimmer units (if I've read my German correctly).

All will become clear in the not-too-distant future! (I hope. :scared:)

Cheers!

Paul.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:30 pm »
I can't help but be amused... How long ago was it that I fitted proper LED DRL's? 18 months? No one was interested and all I mostly heard was being accused of having fog lights. Now, everyone wants DRL's!  :laugh:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 08:13:13 pm »
I can't help but be amused... How long ago was it that I fitted proper LED DRL's? 18 months? No one was interested and all I mostly heard was being accused of having fog lights. Now, everyone wants DRL's!  :laugh:
Not by me RedLeader!  :P  I've always fully appreciated the benefits of DRLs, especially of the LED flavour - I just wasn't overly keen on your specific solution. :wink:
------

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

I think there was interest Robin (me for one) but yours do look like fog lights and with this solution it's obvious they are not as the original fogs remain.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »
I just they work after all this!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:39 pm »

I think there was interest Robin (me for one) but yours do look like fog lights and with this solution it's obvious they are not as the original fogs remain.

....True. There simply wasn't this option when I did mine and neither was it even on the horizon.  :happy2: