Offline Makaveli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
MOT
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
Hi,

New here but have been reading the forum for a while! Ive got a couple of questions that I hope you guys can give your personal views on...

Ive got my MOT coming up and im not too sure where im going to take it yet. Do you guys take your cars to VW?

Im thinking of maybe getting a service done too as its due soon, and will probably need 2 new tyres, where do you go for tyres? Can VW change them - im worried if I go anywhere else they will scratch my alloys. Ive read a few horror stories about other places damaging alloys while changing tyres...

Thanks

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:31 pm »
Firstly hello and welcome   :drinking:

For MOT's I wouldn't use the dealers unless you know and trust them.

As for tyres the dealers will probably be the most expensive option, have a look at places like blackcircles.com or e-tyres.co.uk  :happy2:

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:17 pm »
Firstly hello and welcome   :drinking:

For MOT's I wouldn't use the dealers unless you know and trust them.

As for tyres the dealers will probably be the most expensive option, have a look at places like blackcircles.com or e-tyres.co.uk  :happy2:

ill echo the above and welcome to the site fella
Still Here!

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:18 am »
Hello and welcome.  After 7 years in the motor trade I thought I'd give you a few pointers.

If your car is just coming up to 3 years old, get the tyres sorted and take it to VW.  If it fails, VW have to fix it under warranty (excluding wear and tear items, of course).  After that, take it to a trusted MOT centre.  And don't go to the council MOT station, people say it saves you money, when in fact they're the toughest testers as they also do taxi tests.

For tyres, check out the tyre sites (they're all listed on Google) and eBay.  Fitting is between £5-10 per tyre, depending on the company.  Dealers typically buy tyres, add 25%, then ring you up with the prices.

Some people only buy a car with full main dealer history.  Personally, as long as its been serviced on time using top quality parts, I'd buy it.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »
TomB your logic only works if the car is not an imported one! Those only have a two year warranty. 
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:06:49 pm »
Why?  Cars get MOT'd 2 years and 11 months after the reg date.  Read it again, makes perfect sense to me.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »
If it were me Mak, I would buy the tyres wholesale (good place in broxburn) book my mot and ask about the service then drop in the tyres fitted for free and see what they say.Your covered with them for any damage. I always do a vehicle handover with them so they check for marks and i do same its recorded so any probs there is no arguments.

Offline Makaveli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:02:03 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

And thanks for the advise and insight!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:36 pm »
welcome along makaveli. as said before, make sure you know the reputation of the dealers first! ;)