Make a donation

Author Topic: 10mm Hubcentric wheel spacers  (Read 37000 times)

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: 10mm Hubcentric wheel spacers
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 01:04:19 pm »
Although I agree with the comments about a spacer increasing the load on the bearings, lets not forget that ANY change in this area can do exactly the same... How many on here have aftermarket wheels that are not 7.5" wide with a ET51 offset?? 

Same goes for lowering the car, changes the geometry of the wheels for all driving situations.

Like other modifications, there can be downsides (mapping for example can cause premature failure of the DV) what we all need to remember is that situations like Bacillus' are in the extreme........

Rant over  :laugh:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »
Same goes for lowering the car, changes the geometry of the wheels for all driving situations.

....Hence why I was particular who I chose to do my suspension installation and setup.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »
Although I agree with the comments about a spacer increasing the load on the bearings, lets not forget that ANY change in this area can do exactly the same... How many on here have aftermarket wheels that are not 7.5" wide with a ET51 offset?? 

Like other modifications, there can be downsides (mapping for example can cause premature failure of the DV) what we all need to remember is that situations like Bacillus' are in the extreme........

Rant over  :laugh:

Good point.
 :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:54:04 am »
Porsche offer spacers as an optional extra...so does that mean that they engineer the parts at the beginning to be able to cope with the extra load that the spacers might cause...?
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 08:15:56 am »
Porsche offer spacers as an optional extra...so does that mean that they engineer the parts at the beginning to be able to cope with the extra load that the spacers might cause...?

....That's an extremely good point!

Does this 'spacer option' include any other modifications? To suspension bushes for example?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:09 am »
Possibly, or it just comes with a disclaimer saying that it will shorten the life of bearings and bushes etc. Not forgetting that they are likely to be higher spec items in the first place.

I'm not sure where I stand with spacers, i think the amount of impact they actually have in real world driving depends on who you talk to. I've always been told to avoid them, but provided you don't go mad - I can't see them really killing your bearing much quicker than normal? It's something I'd definitely have to try for myself to weigh up whether the extra wear and tear was really worth the improvement in handling, if any, by widening the track by 1cm (each side or in total?)
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:02 pm »
running a 10mm spacer is just like running a ET41 offset wheel, nobody kicks off when people do that :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:49 am »

running a 10mm spacer is just like running a ET41 offset wheel, nobody kicks off when people do that :happy2:

....No, nobody kicks off, but it doesn't make it a wise thing to do. It's early days for seeing such problems anyway.

I'm just being very cautious (I like the look) and exploring the subject with my Devil's Advocate hat on :evilgrin:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 11:53:11 am »

....No, nobody kicks off, but it doesn't make it a wise thing to do. It's early days for seeing such problems anyway.

I'm just being very cautious (I like the look) and exploring the subject with my Devil's Advocate hat on :evilgrin:

Not to sure where your going with this one Red leader.  :confused: It may be early days to see what effects your engine mods will have long term, but people have been fitting spacers and different wheels since time began, I am not to sure what you are worried about going wrong. I have seen no cases of wheels flying down the road, and if its a bit of premature wear on the bearings, well thats not the end of the world.  :smiley:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:39 am »
i ve had my spacers fitted a while now, they dont alter the handling in any way whatsoever i brought them purely because imo they improve the look (stance) of the car !          :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »

Not to sure where your going with this one Red leader.  :confused: It may be early days to see what effects your engine mods will have long term, but people have been fitting spacers and different wheels since time began, I am not to sure what you are worried about going wrong. I have seen no cases of wheels flying down the road, and if its a bit of premature wear on the bearings, well thats not the end of the world.  :smiley:

....I'm not sure where I'm going on this one either!! :grin:

Just being extremely cautious mainly because a few people whose very experienced opinions I greatly respect have advised against it. Plus a couple of posts here.

It's natural that if you've done a mod (and that includes me), then you have made a decision which you think has no problems.

For me the jury is still out but I do like the look :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:18:15 pm by RedRobin »

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 12:58:36 pm »
do you think you would actually feel any difference with the spacers?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »
do you think you would actually feel any difference with the spacers?
you most definatly can not feel any difference with them on ,  some one on another thread said  "i must love understeer if i fit these spacers " thats like saying my car will be noticable quicker if i leave the back seats at home !!!!!!   

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 08:02:30 pm »
^^^^
It's called The Placebo Effect :evilgrin:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 12:57:56 pm »
will be getting a set of these for my front wheels.. after having brakes fitted yesterday which needed 8mm spacers to fit the wheel they only had cheapo spacers in stock and I needed my car back that day.

driving over 60mph there was vibration in the steering wheel and if felt like the car was wobbling  :scared:

hubcentric spacers i have been told will end this, fingers crossed, but min size is 10mm but willing to go a further 2mm to improve it!

so whatever you do make sure you buy hubcentric one's for the front and not the halford specials as they will ruin the ride of you car.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.