Make a donation

Author Topic: THS Replacement FR3 Engine Mounts TFSI : Review  (Read 41112 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3qo0j3c3gcaukg8ohvviqapkc6&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: THS Replacement FR3 Engine Mounts TFSI : Review
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 09:39:02 am »
I find that most of the wheel hop it caused by the ESP system.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »
I fitted the fast road vwr engine mount 2 weeks ago, had it on 3 days and then removed it, the vibration was driving me crazy 
I think it is a dsg thing because the manual versions dont seem to suffer this ?
it feels like the clutch is at biting point on tickover when your in gear (the only way to explain the vibration) no probs on the move and feels more responsive,
i have now fitted the standard rubber mount with the fast road poly insert to stiffen it up thinking that it wouldnt vibrate as much as the ally version vwr mount, but it feels just the same, will have to get use to it methinx 

neil, i'd been having increased vibration issues on the rocco after the coilies went on with the vwr lower nount, turned out the oem top mounts were well past there best, i've swapped the top mounts to VWR and strangely the car is now more refined and the vibration has been significantly reduced, in reality Geordie highlighted this on his tsi rocco  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:07:24 pm »
Same as me as when I fitted the lower race mount the car growled like mad but after the I had the side ones fitted the noise was less

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 05:08:47 pm »
just to let you know, there is a group buy on these
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32106.0.html

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »
fantastic review !!

:happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:41 am »
I fitted my set yesterday apart from the lower engine mount. I am impressed at the improvement they have made to the egear change and thrttle response. Plus the engine has an M3 type induction growl now. Just need to get the lower mount fitted. There has been no increase in engine vibration at any speed. If anything the engine feels smother than before.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:04 am »
I fitted my set yesterday apart from the lower engine mount. I am impressed at the improvement they have made to the egear change and thrttle response. Plus the engine has an M3 type induction growl now. Just need to get the lower mount fitted. There has been no increase in engine vibration at any speed. If anything the engine feels smother than before.

i found this too, but wait till you get the lower mount fitted, that is when you get the vibration! :laugh:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »
It cant be any worse than my Fabia VRS diesel with a Super pro solid lower engine mount. That vibrated but wasnt overly intrusive.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
^^^^
I think those sort of vibrations being talked about here are very minor - Just a buzz felt through the steering wheel but only when first starting up cold. At least, that's what the VWR engine mounts are like and they can't be that different from THS.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:43 am »
Booked in next wednesday to have the lower mount fitted. £30 fitted, so its not worth me struggling on the driveway.

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »
I just installed the FR3 top mounts to my GTI. I already had the powerflex insert done to the dogbone mount. Well I can pretty much agree to all comments already given here, the vibrations hardly increased at all. Everything feels solid during drive. However, I still get some wheelhop. Its a lot better, but not all gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 05:53:41 pm »

I just installed the FR3 top mounts to my GTI. I already had the powerflex insert done to the dogbone mount. Well I can pretty much agree to all comments already given here, the vibrations hardly increased at all. Everything feels solid during drive. However, I still get some wheelhop. Its a lot better, but not all gone.

....It's the lower mount which should cure wheelhop, not what you are calling the "top" mounts. At least that's the way it is with VWR engine mounts.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 11:38:54 am »
....It's the lower mount which should cure wheelhop, not what you are calling the "top" mounts. At least that's the way it is with VWR engine mounts.

I think youre right. I was hoping that the powerflex insert combined with THS top mounts (btw THS calls them "top mounts") would be sufficient, but I guess not. Since Im not a fan of dropping the subframe, is the HPA solid mount the only improved option for me? Are there any other option that is intented to work only with the bottom "puck" changed? thanks..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:06 pm »

I think youre right. I was hoping that the powerflex insert combined with THS top mounts (btw THS calls them "top mounts") would be sufficient, but I guess not. Since Im not a fan of dropping the subframe, is the HPA solid mount the only improved option for me? Are there any other option that is intented to work only with the bottom "puck" changed? thanks..

....I know I am right on this one - There isn't a soley poly insert made which can match the effect of a proper engine mount inserted in the subframe.

There's no harm in removing the subframe in order to fit a proper lower engine mount - It does need the right tools though.

Btw, the term "top mounts" is usually interpreted to mean those relating to suspension. I think THS have got it wrong there.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »
Keep in mind a solid  lower mount will increase engine vibrations more than the FR3 top mounts.

Modding a car is a great compromise. Whatever you do you have to make a decision between
reliability, sportiness and comfort (+ cost).
"You get what you pay for."