Make a donation

Author Topic: off set and size  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
off set and size
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:06 pm »
the Monza II is 7.5j with a ET of 51.
Am i right in thinking that 8.5 with a ET 45 gives 6.5 mil more poke than the Monza II
This is how i did my sums  8.5j is one inch bigger giving 12.5 mil either side of the wheel. then take off the 6 mil less ET = 6.5 mil more poke.
Have i got this correct.  :happy2:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: off set and size
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:51 am »
No, offset works the opposite way. ET45 sticks out the arch more than ET51 by 6mm assuming same width wheel. Unless I've read your post wrong(?) in which case I'll apologise and go and ask my kids for some maths lessons.... :laugh:

Completely non mathematical answer: I've got 8in wide BBSs with ET44 and the stance is quite nice IMHO.
Andy
7R

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »
So could some one enlighten me please and tell me how much further out this spec of wheel 8.5 with 45 ET sticks out further than a Monza II  :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
That would be 18.7mm - 12.7mm for the extra half inch on the outer rim and 6mm for the offset.

What size tyre are you planning?
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:19 pm »
Now i am scared that cant be right. so you are saying that they will be 18.7 mil further out. than the monza
I have been told that they will fit no problem at all by WORK themselves who did a full check. But surely that would cause rubbing on the front.
oh and i have already purchased the tyres they are 19 235, 35

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »
That would be 18.7mm - 12.7mm for the extra half inch on the outer rim and 6mm for the offset.

What size tyre are you planning?

^^^^^^ he's spot-on^^^^^^^

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 05:13:12 pm »
Now i am scared that cant be right. so you are saying that they will be 18.7 mil further out. than the monza
I have been told that they will fit no problem at all by WORK themselves who did a full check. But surely that would cause rubbing on the front.

Mine are 15.4 further out on an 8J ET42 with a 225 - do you want to have a look at mine and see what you think?

Personally, I think you'd be pushing your luck a bit??
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:24:58 pm »

Mine are 15.4 further out on an 8J ET42 with a 225 - do you want to have a look at mine and see what you think?

Personally, I think you'd be pushing your luck a bit??

Well the story goes, when i ordered them i said look i am happy to sign on the dotted line, but with a possible 3-4month wait i dont fancy sending them back, will you guarantee them if they dont fit and pay all the charges incurred.
They said look we will contact them in Jap land and get conformation but we have sold a few sets of these over here and that has been the size ordered. Anyway they got back and said this is the recommended size for your car.  :chicken:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »
You might be fine, have a look at mine and see what you think? - it's only a few mm more, so don't stress just yet!! They're certainly not going to stick out, but how close to the arch remains to be seen on a 235 and that wheel spec. There's more room on the front that the back too.

Some trawling of the 'net might pop up some specs and pics to give you an idea.

EDIT: "pushing your luck" was a bit overkill. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:39:01 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:11 pm »
You might be fine, have a look at mine and see what you think? - it's only a few mm more, so don't stress just yet!! They're certainly not going to stick out, but how close to the arch remains to be seen on a 235 and that wheel spec. There's more room on the front that the back too.

Some trawling of the 'net might pop up some specs and pics to give you an idea.

EDIT: "pushing your luck" was a bit overkill. Sorry.

:grin:  its to late i am having kittens, i have just sent them an email asking them for conformation in writing from Japan that they do indeed fit.  :rolleye:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »
It'll be fine I'm sure, just a little tight maybe?

Yanks like the whole poke & stretch, so it's possible they've made a suggestion based on what's most popular??

Oh, and one more thing, for some reason on MKVs the offside rear sticks out more than the nearside, so that's your starter for checks.
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:14 pm »
I have just got a reply back from them, i will copy and post it up  :wink:

jacko78

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 07:37:19 pm »
im running the same size wheels and have had to do the arch screws but still rub over big bumps at speed.the back wheels are fine but the fronts are only 6mm from the arch which is why i still rub now and then,the only solution is get the back of the wheels machined down about 10mm or get the arches rolled,im going for the latter as i think it looks sick.only problem with not doing either of these mods is i read about a guy with same issues and he hit a bump at speed while he was turning and it completely destroyed the front wing

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »
It'll be fine I'm sure, just a little tight maybe?

Yanks like the whole poke & stretch, so it's possible they've made a suggestion based on what's most popular??

Oh, and one more thing, for some reason on MKVs the offside rear sticks out more than the nearside, so that's your starter for checks.
I have just got a reply back from them, i will copy and post it up  :wink:

Reply;

Dear Tom,

Please check this website.

Our suggested size and specs are within the range for 2008 Golf GTi.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=GTI+2.0T+MkV&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=2-Door

As you can see, BBS use 19 X 8.5 +46, and Tire Rack are generally conservative with their fitments.

WORK Japan doesn't do much with European car, so they don't really have much data on hand for European cars.  Much of the euro specs are set by the distributors like ourselves.

Keep in mind, MAJORITY of the consumers want something aggressive without knowing what the end results of the vehicle's drivability and clearance.  It seems now days people give up drivability to have better look; and since most of our wheels are customizable many consumers decide to choose more aggressive setup then what we suggest.

In your case, your setup is still within the standard range of aftermarket wheel to fit on your car.

I hope this answers your question.

Also this one from the company i ordered the wheels from the above was from WORK USA

Wider than stock to be able to get some lip(deep dish) out of them, but still conservative enough to not have any rubbing issues.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »
So what spec are you going with??

You will be just fine, and you will only really have problems when you come to lowering the car A LOT!

You can get around that without any problems though, Camber adjustable top mounts, running more rear camber, removing the front arch screw, rolling the front arches, playing around with the rear bumper bracket and cutting away a certain amount of the arch liner at the rear will allow you to completely slam the car if you wish!

I would suggest running a 225/35/19 though, just gives you a little more room, still doesn't look like you have poke either, which can only be a good thing..

Just to compare.. If you went with a 225/35/19 on a 19x8.5 ET45 wheel the top of the tyre would still be just over 8mm more inboard than my current set up with the 235/40/18 R888's on a 18x8 ET45 wheel, just down to the size of the tyre..

I have done all of the above arch modifications and I have no rubbing, and im tucking about 3mm of tyre front and rear..

No need to worry IMO, think you should be fine mate!  :happy2:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128