Make a donation

Author Topic: Calling all puter geeks  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Calling all puter geeks
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:54 pm »
I need help guys. Ok i have a mac and elements 9 i have been taking and editing pics in J-peg format until yesterday, and thought i would see how raw looked. Elements has a raw plug-in which works fine. I know i have to convert them back to J-peg to post on the web and their is a few ways of doing this in elements. And i have tried them all, it tells me it has converted them back ok but when i search for the files on photobucket, i can find them ok but i am unable to highlight them for upload. I then tried it on flicker, which you can link to from elements, but again this just says file to big. So i am guessing that elements is not converting them to J-peg for some reason.

Help a dufus out guys, what am i doing wrong.  :sad1:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nuc23cb9g7nsmcjmn24drocc30&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Calling all puter geeks
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:49 pm »
If you view the files info in finder... what does it show the as file type? Im guessing that they are being saved as massive TIFF files!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »
Give me 5 i will take a look.  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:54:54 pm »
Ok it says

Kind: digital negative file
                 Size: 18.9mb on disc
     :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=nuc23cb9g7nsmcjmn24drocc30&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:49 pm »
OK for what ever reason.... Elements isnt saving it as a JPEG but as a DNG instead!

Are you sure you used the correct 'save as' settings??

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »
Yep went through file first. Also every time you edit a pic and close it asks if you want to save changes. once you say yes you then get options on what you want to save it as. Also through file/save as/jpeg you even get a split page with the raw file on the left and the jpeg or gif on the right, and it shows you the actual quality differences side by side depending on which option you want to save as.  :confused:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »
Very odd!!

If you goto Image>>mode... is it in 16bit of 8bit?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:52 pm »
Very odd!!

If you goto Image>>mode... is it in 16bit of 8bit?

They were in 8 bit i tried 16 with no succsess + when i go to do general editing elements didn't like 16 so i changed it there on final edit.  :surprised:

All my pics apart from these were copied from iphoto. These raw ones i went straight from the card, So i think i will load some raw pics into iphoto  and transfer from there. If that doesn't work i think i will reinstall and start a fresh.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:15 am »
OK... very odd!

Try and acquire a copy of Photoshop.... its much better!  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:03:16 am »
I plan too, as i get more into photography.  :happy2: Elements 9 is great for the money though. It has layer masks and content aware healing brush, which cover most of my skills.  :wink:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:06 am »
DNG is an adobe proprietary format so its obviously not converting properly.  I have only used PS but I guess some of the principals are the same, if you have been editing in layers have you flattened the image before trying to save it?  In PS you cant save as jpg until the image is flattened so this could be causing your issue.  Also in PS you get the option to gradate the JPG quality which it sounds like elements does the same with the dual view.

From your comments about flicker which has a plugin, it isnt saying the image is an unrecognisable format just larger than the rules they have about image sizes, you could try re-sizing the image to a lower resolution for an upload only copy and see if flicker can then upload the dng file.

If that doesnt work then I might be able to help you out with a copy of PS cs5 for MAC...  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »
Thanks for the help Rich.  :happy2:

I am still struggling with this chaps. I have been uploading RAW pics to both Flickr and Photobucket this evening, from iphoto with no problem. It must automatically be converting the files from Raw to jpeg.

Can anyone else see the problem with Elements.  :sad1: