All Things Mk5 > How to Guides / Troubleshooting

18" fitment issues

(1/6) > >>

savechip17:
well i just got some devil rivieras 18", fitted them to my golf (tdisport) at the weekend and crashed it last night as the front right wheel came off. all the nuts had just fallen out. and i know i put them in good.

just wondering if i needed something else as ther are 18s and i has normal 17" estorils on b4 hand.

any help would be really appreciated as i checked the other wheels and they were coming loose too.

jonnyc:

--- Quote from: savechip17 on February 18, 2009, 06:42:32 pm ---well i just got some devil rivieras 18", fitted them to my golf (tdisport) at the weekend and crashed it last night as the front right wheel came off. all the nuts had just fallen out. and i know i put them in good.

just wondering if i needed something else as ther are 18s and i has normal 17" estorils on b4 hand.

any help would be really appreciated as i checked the other wheels and they were coming loose too.

--- End quote ---

Probably put the wrong bolts in, if you used the OEM bolts on aftermarket wheels thats your problem..

OEM wheels are all conical seat bolts and aftermarket wheels have a taper seat.. Conical seat bolts in an aftermarket wheel will tighten up and then fall out as soon as you drive it..

Good job no one got hurt!

VC:
what he said /\

also the bolts might need to be longer too depending on the alloy

savechip17:
mite sound like a stupid question but where can i get these special bolts from. im a bit of a beginner so if you have a link to some that would be great.  also how could i tell if i needed longer bolts?

thanks again for above advice jc and vc -

vwrascal:
sorry to hear about your crash   :sad:  do much damage?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version