Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Paddleshifter Extensions....  (Read 32114 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
DSG Paddleshifter Extensions....
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

When I first had my Mk5 GTI with DSG, I was very apprehensive about the small plastic paddles which are somewhat hidden from view when driving. I used to mostly use the box in only two gears - D and S, driving mostly in D and just popping in and out of S-mode for overtakes and twisties. I didn't, and still don't, like the feel of nudging the floor stick in a tiptronic fashion so I eventually started using the paddles. To my surprise I found them perfectly placed when holding the steering wheel and I also liked their very contoured and ribbed feel. Yes, we are still talking about a car product here.

I was aware of some people's criticisms of the paddles as feeling like a Playstation but I never found that, and most of such criticism comes from those who much prefer to drive conventional manual gearboxes. The stock paddles do have a soft click sound but the gear selection is still instant and feels direct.

One problem I found was occasional situations such as on a roundabout when the hands weren't still exactly where the small paddles were when turning the wheel. The problem is usually from wanting to change into 2nd from 1st but there are always lots of workaround options with the DSG box of tricks such as nudging the floor stick or starting off in D or S and letting the system find 2nd gear for you before going into full Manual mode and continuing. With this problem in mind I wondered, back in 2006, whether any aftermarket paddle extensions were available but there weren't. TTSroadsport helped me at the time to investigate whether Audi ones would fit the Mk5 Golf but they don't. Some rare versions of the late Mk4 GTI's in France had DSG but their paddles wouldn't fit either. So I gave up and got familiar with the stock paddles and continued to enjoy using them.

Then suddenly there was a post on the Tyresmoke forum about some carbonfibre ones made by TID and fitted to a Mk5 GTI Edition 30.

Although they looked both very cool (I love carbonfibre!) and very oem, I wasn't convinced. But then a colleague on GolfGTI.co.uk forum also got some and both were independently reporting how pleased they were with them. So, in learning that they were available from my friends TTSroadsport, I had a chat with Dave and a pair were immediately sent.

The parcel arrived the next day and on opening it I was immediately amazed at their quality. I had assumed that they might be thin and possibly flimsy but the carbonfibre is 4mm thick and utterly rigid.

Not only are they rigid but they are very securely bolted to a mount which is perfectly shaped to fit onto the contours of the stock paddles. A lot of thought and effort has gone into their design. I had to spend the morning at home but found that I spent the whole time with one of these paddles clutched in my hand and my fingers constantly exploring and testing for any weak spots - None were found.

I quickly became aware of a long slightly raised ridge and realised it was there for a purpose. So far I just wasn't succeeding in finding any faults but the proof of the pudding is always in the eating, so it was time to install them and then go for a test drive.

I removed the manufacturer's labels whilst cursing the strength of modern adhesive but knowing that soon after I would ironically be hoping that the adhesive tape for fixing them on my car had extreme strength! Before adding the tape I offered the new paddles up to the stock ones and was very pleased to see how well they would fit and how oem they would look. The enclosed instructions suggest either using the supplied tape or using a sealant/glue. I decided to start off at least with the tape and couldn't help noticing the letters VBH printed - That Vicky gets herself everywhere in the world of motorsport.

The instructions suggest "applying heat to double sided tape" - What with!? I wasn't about to set fire to my brand new carbonfibre paddleshifters! I just rubbed the tape hard and thought of VBH. Well, whatever happens I know that Plan B will involve glue. I then noticed that my stock paddles were beginning to wear and show white - Not a good standard after only 50,000 miles, Mr Volkswagen!

Once on I noticed how much further away from the back of the wheel and closer to the stalks they were and I was a bit concerned. Too late now, time to try them out. Just sat in the car with no engine running they felt awkward but fortunately reassuringly very firm and rigid.

I needed some more Meg's Detailer so decided to go to my nearest stockist about 30 miles away, especially as it was a gloriously sunny day and would involve all sorts of roads. Once through town and out of D-mode I immediately found that the new paddles were very comfortable and a real pleasure to touch. The ridge makes perfect sense and it's a case of driving more with your finger tips than pads.
[Sorry for poor quality pic]:

Although my hands are nearly always in the 'quarter-to-three' position which the GTI steering wheel sensibly urges you to adopt, I found that the extended paddles are easier to find. What really surprises me while driving is that there is no longer any click when shifting and the result is a much smoother gear shift sensation. The carbonfibre maintains a perfect temperature and I would advise very strongly indeed against an aluminium version as the material can get either sizzling hot or frostbite cold.

I ended up buying rather more Meg's cleaning products than I intended but the round trip of 60 miles was a real joy and I even had the opportunity to play with a Porsche on the way home - Those carbonfibre paddleshifters made me feel I was driving a Ferrari!

I'm now used to the paddleshifters and overall I much prefer them to the stock paddles. However, the lower extensions don't action the gearshifts as superbly as the upper extensions do - The leverage seems to be weaker. I hasten to add that they are well and truly stuck on and integrated with the stock paddles and so there is no weakness whatsoever in their installation. The key to using them is to gently pull on the ridge as if beginning to close your palms. They are much more at your fingertips than the stock ones - The connection between brain decision and finger action is faster.

A couple of times I have unintentionally changed gear when I wanted to use the signal indicator stalk, but now I know, I'm learning quickly to avoid doing that - It's just a matter of adapting one's habits.

One thing that I really, really cannot understand is that the actual gearshifts themselves feel very noticeably smoother and seamless with the new paddles.

They are exclusively available in the UK from TTSroadsport - 01234 855 555 - and I have no hesitation in very highly recommending this carbonfibre version. You don't need these paddleshift extensions but like all good mods, it takes you that extra mile.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Forum member Mandy can usually get alternative paddleshifter extensions for around £25, which is considerably cheaper than my TIDs. But mine were the only option available back in early 2009.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:36:15 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
Re: DSG Paddleshifter Extensions....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »
they look great,  nice write up   :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

One thing that I really, really cannot understand is that the actual gearshifts themselves feel very noticeably smoother and seamless with the new paddles.

I have noticed on my car that the faster you hit the micro switch the faster and more responsive the change.. Maybe it has a pressure sensor too??
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »

I have noticed on my car that the faster you hit the micro switch the faster and more responsive the change.. Maybe it has a pressure sensor too??

....That's really interesting - I was thinking it was just a placebo effect but when I first started using these paddle extensions I felt my changes were happening faster. If it is so it'll also be possibly because the extra leverage actions the micro switch more sharply.

Do you have oem or paddle extensions?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26:17 pm »
Oem and fast fingers lol..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:34:02 pm »

....Is that what you tell all the girlies?

I was going to say that if anyone is thinking of these extensions and goes on trackdays wearing fairly thick gloves, best to check gloved finger clearance before buying and installing. It'll be tight unless you've removed the indicator stalks etc.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:55 pm »

....Is that what you tell all the girlies?

I was going to say that if anyone is thinking of these extensions and goes on trackdays wearing fairly thick gloves, best to check gloved finger clearance before buying and installing. It'll be tight unless you've removed the indicator stalks etc.

Haha.. No comment..

I was speaking to mark about trying to get the Cupra Cup car steering wheel and paddles on mine, looks awesome!

Something more like this out of the Scirocco 24 car..

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:57:13 pm »
^^^^
That's uber-cooool!! VERY stylish, Jonny.

I'm assuming you been around the 'other' garage and seen all those Cupra's etc. Do you want me to distract Mark while you do a swifty? :evilgrin:

Did you see the red DSG GTI up at VWR that looks like a normal road car but is built for a 'handicapped' driver? I'm sure Mark could help you out with something special in that department.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:06:50 pm »
^^^^
That's uber-cooool!! VERY stylish, Jonny.

I'm assuming you been around the 'other' garage and seen all those Cupra's etc. Do you want me to distract Mark while you do a swifty? :evilgrin:

Did you see the red DSG GTI up at VWR that looks like a normal road car but is built for a 'handicapped' driver? I'm sure Mark could help you out with something special in that department.

Looks slick doesn't it..

Ah cool, yeah been into the other place, lots of nice bits in there haha..

Ok well maybes there would be something that we can do on that then, would be a nice touch I though! Not really sure about getting rid of the air bag though.. hmm..

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:16:07 pm »
that red one in the corner is great as it has 2 gas pedals and is LHD very cool setup

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »
^^^^
That's the one for the 'handicapped' driver. I use the term with reservations and with great respect for such still having the determination to race cars.

Did you have a good day at VWR, Mat?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
did i  :driver: i am in love  :evilgrin: and its red  :evilgrin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:26:27 am »
I have great safety concerns about extension paddles for the wheel-equipped paddle shifters. In the (heaven forbid) event of accident, the wheel could spin around and one of those things could cause significant injury to your hands or arms. You will notice that "long" paddle shifters are used on vehicles where the paddles are fixed to the steering column box - this is what Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, et al do. On the Scirocco race car the situation is the same, the paddles are not affixed to the wheel and will not spin around.
On vehicles with the paddles attached to the wheels - VW/Audi/Seat range, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche PDK-equipped cars, the paddles are very small and heavily integrated into the wheel to help avoid injury.

If you track your car at all I would strongly advise against using these, and would advise against using them on the road as well.
Just my tuppenny-worth.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:40:21 am »
^^^^
That's the one for the 'handicapped' driver. I use the term with reservations and with great respect for such still having the determination to race cars.

Hey, I know that car!! It's in Votex a fair bit too as they do some of the more routine stuff on it. I can't remember the exact story behind the 2 gas pedals, but it's got something to do with being for when he gets leg fatigue. Nice bit of "out of the box" engineering.

Sideways yo!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:06 am »
Raising the gear lever looks very cool there ^^. I wonder if they could do the same to mine!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp