Make a donation

Author Topic: "Strange" braking  (Read 2262 times)

MPS

"Strange" braking
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:04:11 pm »
Evening people,

I was on my way to work today when I drove down a road with a light dusting of snow on it (0.5cm at the most). Taking it steady at 15 to 20mph I began to slow for a t-junction, I delicately applied the brakes but the wheels just locked up, no flashing of the ESP light or buzzing feel in the brake pedal, nothing!

The car is overdue for a brake fluid change, the brake fluid was last changed roughly 35k miles ago (car is now at 58k). I'm getting worried that the ABS / ESP module is not working properly due to stale brake fluid. (£1200 part!)

Do you think this could be the cause? It just seems very odd that it couldn't even cope with light brake pressure at 15mph! No ice on the road either!

:scared:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

MPS

Re: "Strange" braking
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
HelllooooooooooOOOO!! *echo* Anyone out there?  :laugh:

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »
i think...think....abs only works over a certain mph....

MPS

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:35 pm »
Beginning to wonder now if it's my Michelin PS3's, I've read on here that they're not exactly brilliant in snow.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:50:17 pm »
I have PS3 on my vRS and they have been perfectly fine for me in the snow :confused:

One thing i have started doing though is putting the car to Stock during really bad snow/ice. No point sticking 300lb/ft through the wheels when you can't use it :smiley:

ABS usually activates above 10mph afaik.

MPS

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:53:15 pm »
I take it if the ABS module is playing up a fault code may be stored? I'll would check but don't want to venture out into the freezing wastes!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:00:33 pm »
It may throw up a fault but it depends what it is that's wrong.

Dont forget if you were doing an indicated 15mph and locked up the ABS might not have had time to kick in as you were probably only doing about 12mph and then would have slowed below 10mph which means the ABS wouldn't kick in anyway.

If you can find somewhere empty (big car park perhaps) drive at about 20mph and slam on this will give you a good indication if their is a prob with ABS if no fault is showing.

MPS

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:08:54 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try