Make a donation

Author Topic: Are your needles lit???  (Read 24309 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Are your needles lit???
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 08:58:54 am »
Go to advanced search and search for highline in topic titles.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:06 am »
Just because I'm a really nice person  :laugh:

The Midline/ Highline refers to the computer insert between the rev counter and speedo and it's abilities / functions.

Standard models are uisually fitted with the Midline. This can be identified by the fact that half the insert mention above (the lower half) is an LED display that shows you Outside temperature, MPG, miles to empty etc. The other half of the display are fixed warning lights (i.e. low fuel, etc). There is a black plastic bar that seperates the 2 parts of the display (see image below for midline display).

The highline display insert is all one piece and is totally LED. It performs all the functions of the midline display but is capable of much more. It has a series of menus that be toggled through and can display fuel computer stats, Audio menu (track playing, FM station name etc), Navigation menu (displays the turn by turn warnings on this display as well as on the Navi unit. Also, it allows you to control certain aspects of the cars behavoir, that's normally only able to be set via VCDS (VAG-COM). Items such as Headlight delay, one touch opening, auto locking over 5mph (and unlocking), winter tyres, swtiching units (°C to °F, 12h or 24h clock) etc.

As you can see the highline display is much more versatile than the midline and only costed about £50 to add as an option at order time. Problem is it wasn't an option many dealers new much about so many cars were specced without them.

For info, the highline display looks like below :

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »
yep doesn't bother me really, would be interested in the lit needles, although i do have an incling how to do it i just don't know which set of hex bits it is on the .bin file to change it...?

Darren

so want my r32 lit needles. dont think anyone has done it yet, read that it can be done, go darren do it please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i can come and get it done from you lol
MKV R32 DSG

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »
I'm not sure if it works with all clusters though so do this at your own risk!!

I tried it on my mates 2008 golf and it would'nt work so it might be an age thing much like the highline swap.

Right you need k+can commander for this..

Open 07 Kombi
Click on Instruments/Immobiliser
Read eeprom

Look for address 0x122
The value 74 needs to be changed
Change it to 72 for lit needles on ignition
Change it to 71 for lit needles and dials on ignition.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 06:38:03 am »
I'm not sure if it works with all clusters though so do this at your own risk!!

I tried it on my mates 2008 golf and it would'nt work so it might be an age thing much like the highline swap.

Right you need k+can commander for this..

Open 07 Kombi
Click on Instruments/Immobiliser
Read eeprom

Look for address 0x122

does this apply to 58 plate r32?

i havent got a k commander and i wouldnt do it myself anyway lol, havent got the balls lol!
MKV R32 DSG

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 06:56:14 am »
Tried looking for

address 0x122

but nothing found 0x120 with 74 in the line but changing that I then wrote the file back to the cluster but when I went back into the rear epprom it was changed back to 74???

Darren

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »
Is this in your R32 cluster Darren?

I'm not sure if all the clusters are written the same.

I wanted to scan someones GTI to see if the address was the same as they have lit needles, but no one near me.

****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »
Yes mate R32 cluster although now Iv'e read on the internet that you need to copy the .BIN file to your pc then open it with an hex editor change the bit in the line your after then write the file back to the cluster :happy2:

So I will try that at some stuge.

Darren

Offline M44NTU-3.2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 09:01:36 pm »
Yes mate R32 cluster although now Iv'e read on the internet that you need to copy the .BIN file to your pc then open it with an hex editor change the bit in the line your after then write the file back to the cluster :happy2:

So I will try that at some stuge.

Darren

please do this darren when ever you can and if it works, there would be a lot of r32 owners wanting it done, thanks alot mate, i have no idea how to work hex editors etc, and plus i dont wanna c**k anything up, thanks again!
MKV R32 DSG

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »
Will have a go tomorrow

Cheers

Darren

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »
Couldn't wait but no joy, tried changing the value for line 00000120 with 74 to 72 but again I saved then wrote it to the cluster and once written it just changes the value back to 74 so that value must be some thing to do with the actual key has that will not change..

Darren

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »
What hex editor are you using Darren?

I used XVI32.

address 0x122 the value might sometimes be F4 if so change to F2

Im not sure if the R32 clusters are the same?? Id of thought so though?

Il post some pics tomorrow, got to mess about with the anti virus first........

Im also trying to find the address that determines wether a cluster is petrol or diesel ie change the rev range, I know its possible just need the right address.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:31:34 pm by apollo13 »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
What hex editor are you using Darren?

I used XVI32.

address 0x122 the value might sometimes be F4 if so change to F2

Im not sure if the R32 clusters are the same?? Id of thought so though?

Il post some pics tomorrow, got to mess about with the anti virus first........

Im also trying to find the address that determines wether a cluster is petrol or diesel ie change the rev range, I know its possible just need the right address.

Yes XVI32. there is no 0x122 although there is 0000120

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:27 am »
Ignition off

Ignition on

Lights on

I think the white backlighting goes much better with the RNS display

0X122 OR 0X120 entered in the hex editor will take you to the same line in the eeprom (10E) its just 0x122 will take you straight to the value you need to change 0x120 will move you two values back.

0x122 in my case was F4 so I changed to F2. Once eeprom has been re written you need to click reset cluster in k commander before you exit. You may have to leave the car for 20mins so the cluster can completely power down before it resets itself or disconnect the battery.

All this was for my non GTI/R32 cluster but I presume it will be the same.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:16:33 pm by apollo13 »

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »
Liking the lit needles Lee, but liking the White back light even more  :happy2:

I assume the change in back light colour is a hardware change (I.e. New LED's behind the clocks) rather than a simple coding change?

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr