Make a donation

Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware. ***New Links & Firmware*** 19/02/12  (Read 347313 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Usual disclaimer before i start.

NEITHER I NOR MK5GOLFGTI.CO.UK WILL BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU UNDERTAKE THE PROCESS DETAILED BELOW AND SOMETHING GOES WRONG. YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK

I have seen a few times recently that people are asking how to upgrade firmware. So here is a quick tutorial on what to do.

Firstly you need to download the firmware.

Here are some links (i will update these periodically as and when needed however i will only put in here reliable firmware that works and not Beta's etc)

276X Firmware (For all A/B/C Units)

Click Me

130X Firmware - newer than 276X however does not support Voice Control (for all A/B/C Units)

Click Me

381X Firmware (latest for all A/B/C Units)

Click Me

There is a later 398X firmware but as it only works on B units and higher i haven't listed it.

For those who may suffer battery drain the 100% working Can-Gateway you need is L Revision however a lot of K Revision ones will not suffer battery drain either. I haven't been able to tie this down to month of manufacture (of the gateway not the car). If you are unsure i haven't seen a Car older than June 2007 with an L Revision gateway. If someone has one older please let me know so i can update. But If your car was registered in June 2007 onwards you *should* have an L Revision gateway or higher.

Old Can-Gateway fix (this works in about 95% of cases) This will only update the VUCI part of the RNS to stop battery drain. Works with firmware 1200 onwards

Click Me

All the above Firmware will leave the Maps and HDD data intact.

So that's the firmware sorted. All you have to do is download the file. Open the .Rar file and when it extracts you will be left with a .NRG file. Burn this file to disc ensuring you create a disc from the image and not a data disc. Best programs to use are Windows - Nero or IMGBurn and Mac - Toast. If you have any of those installed right click on the .NRG, select open with and then click the burning program. This will put it all ready for you to put a disc in and burn away.

Now some people will say use DVD, some will say Use CD. It really does depend on how fussy your drive is. I have done this for a few cars that will only accept DVD and some that will only accept CD. Most will be happy with either. The things to remember are.

Where possible use a decent disc - Verbatim, TDK, Sony etc.
Burn the disc as slow as possible - Usually 2x speed
Ensure you verify the disc afterwards
DVD+R/DVD-R & CD-R are fine don't use RW discs as most RNS i have seen are fussy about them.

So you now have your Firmware disc. Now it's time to update. Please follow the instructions below to ensure it runs smoothly.

1 - Get in the car and turn on the nav - DO NOT PUT THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION
2 - Insert the disc into the Nav.
3 - It will cycle through a few checks and then you will be presented with a screen that tells you about the software and asks you to press OK or Cancel. Press OK. You will then get another screen saying the firmware will be updated are you sure. Select OK again. This process can take around 2-3mins.
4 - The nav will now update. It takes around 50 mins but afterwards you should be presented with this screen

Voila all done.

Pointers/Tips

If you get a message referring to Invalid Clamp state - Remove the disc, change the clock on the dash from 12h to 24hr (or vice versa) Press Setup, i and Eject and then try again.

Few other tools.

If you are having problems updating the maps, deleting MP3's etc then below are some tools that can help. (ENSURE YOU HAVE A MAP DISC AND MEANS TO LOAD MP3'S AS THE DATA WILL BE DELETED)

Map Partition erase (will delete the maps but leave MP3's intact)

Click Me

HDD Format (Delete's everything)

Click Me

SWL Recovery disc. If you get Gateway error 202 or other problems and you can not boot up run this disc and it will restore the Nav. It's based on latest 398x software but can be used to recover RNS-510 running any software version. It will try to restore basic coding (including TestMode) and finish SWL. It will not work if the Nav is completely fooked.

To use - insert the disc, press Setup, i and Eject and it will work away.

Click Me

A few other points.

I will only upload here firmware that i know 100% to be working. In that i have tested it myself or have done it for other people. If other later firmware comes out that i haven't tested i will put a new thread up in the forum and point out that i haven't used it (as i have done with 380X firmware)

I do not modify the firmware myself. Credit and a big thanks to Josi over on VWNavi for doing so. All the links provided in this guide are his software  :notworthy:

Comments good/bad welcome and any queries feel free to ask/pm me :happy2:

Edit - The link to Josi thread on VWNavi is here

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13672-Unofficial-272x-software-and-SWL-recovery-CD

Part of the reason i made this post is because you need to register on VWNavi to see it. So it saves people having to register just to download a firmware update.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:03:21 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:05:58 am »
Excellent Stu  :congrats:

That's been needed for sometime.

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:22 am »
Might be nice to link to the original post?

Other than that, it's how I updated my firmware. As above, use quality discs. I only ever use Verbatim.

For the firmware, have personally found CD+/-Rs to be fine, but for the map delete, I needed to use a DVD+/-R for it to work. I'm not sure if this is because the maps disc is normally a DVD.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:24 am »
Excellent Stu  :congrats:

That's been needed for sometime.

Andrew

It was Carl not me  :notworthy:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
Oops, you Skoda drivers all look alike to me  :grin:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »
Like Andrew has said brilliant write up and Im sure it will benefit many people :congrats:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline dp2

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »
Thanks for this, i'm still learning about the finer details of the RNS 510 this thread has been useful. :happy2:

Offline mistry

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »
Great Post, very informative.

I do have a question for you though,  I'm currently looking to buy a RNS510 and as my car is a Jan 07 I've been looking at version B units,  Could I have a version C and use the firmware you mentioned above without having to worry about upgrading the CAN gateway?

"Firmware that can solve battery drain (this works in about 95% of cases)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VD5REKW1"

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »
Yes you could do.

Just be aware you may still get battery drain in which case you will then have to upgrade the gateway :happy2:

Offline mistry

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »
Nice one, with my car being on the cusp of the L version gateway it might be worth a punt.

do you know whats different between this firmware and the 130X/276X firmware?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »
It has the VUCI File from 1200 which is the last firmware not to cause battery drain.

Offline mistry

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »
excellent,  I think I'll risk a version C with that firmware. :)

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »
Well done Carl Great work :happy2:

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »
I've got an RNS 510 LED version on it's way, firmware is 2660, take it that 276X link is the best one to use?

Is there a changelog of the firmwares anywhere? As i'd like to see any differences between say, 2660 - the latest version etc :)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
I did a list of firmwares in another thread (which I can't seem to find) but 2660 is a Beta firmware so I would change to 2760.

Between 266X & 276X the main fixes where proper support for Voice control and 32gb SDHC, speed improvements and attempts to combat Regensburg syndrome (nav starting in Germany all the time)

Basically the firmwares from 266X onwards are

266X
268X
272X
276X
130X ( same as 276X but no voice control)

So in short update to 2760 :happy2: