Make a donation

Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware. ***New Links & Firmware*** 19/02/12  (Read 347259 times)

Offline Jdm_r36

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi
Can anyone help

I have a 2009 Japanese import vw with a RNS 510 fitted, i want to update the firmware
to add UK maps. What firmware will update will work on my Japanese 510??
Thanks

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
There's no specific RNS-510 for the Japanese market. You can follow the recommendations for all RNS-510. Knowing the revision is essential, but you can find online a modified version of the firmware 5238 that works with all revisions.

Offline Jdm_r36

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
There's no specific RNS-510 for the Japanese market. You can follow the recommendations for all RNS-510. Knowing the revision is essential, but you can find online a modified version of the firmware 5238 that works with all revisions.

Hi
Thanks for your reply
Ive tried a 5238 firmware disc off ebay and it comes up with the SWL ERROR 010303??
Where can i get a modified version of the 5238 that works with all revisions?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
I thought only D and newer versions could take 5238?  Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

I've been thinking about upgrading mine too.  How much is the official DVD from VW?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Hi
Thanks for your reply
Ive tried a 5238 firmware disc off ebay and it comes up with the SWL ERROR 010303??
Where can i get a modified version of the 5238 that works with all revisions?
The forum rules don't allow to publicite the forum where you can get a good version. You can search on Google for Josi modified version.

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
I have a revision B unit running H04 + 1100. Is 3810 as high as I can go or can I go to 4120?

Can I just go straight up to the latest version that I can use or do I have to do several updates working my way up?

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
I'm now running 5238 on a B unit with V13 maps without any problems...

Offline nheav

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me here:
I tried to update my RNS 510 recently from FW 4120 (which I think was actually incorrect for my unit) to 5269.
I am getting issues when updating and getting the following screen:

However when this happens the only thing that will get it out of the cycle is the recovery FW recommended in the 1st post on this thread.

But no disc will work now, even the 4120 one that I used back a few years ago last time it was updated.

My details are:
My part number is 1T0035680D and currently have FW 4120 on it.
I saw on here that my part number equates to HW Vehicle 0xC801, 0xCA01 or 0xCC01
But my problem is on my system info I have a HW vehicle of 0xC201.

Might that be causing any problems?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Don't know what to do next!!

Thanks very much,
N

Offline piston broke

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
Just wanted to say thanks to vRS Carl for the original post, my sons 510 in his Scirocco had stopped working just showing the start up screen.

Downloaded the first firm ware update and it's now working again, had a bit of a problem as it couldn't find the SWL image and locked the stereo, but we disconnected it, reconnected and re-inserted disc and is all working again.

So once again, many thanks Carl :happy2:

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Hi guys my daughters car has a factory fit RNS510 running H11 1120 firmware. can anyone tell me which firmware I can upgrade to?
thanks in advance

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Hi guys my daughters car has a factory fit RNS510 running H11 1120 firmware, can anyone tell me what latest firmware I can upgrade to.
thanks in advance

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Rad1o

Hi,
I have a question about repartitioning.
I have HW6276 on my RNS510 and problems with maps. How can I check the partition sizes and is there any software that will repartition to give me more room for the maps? I have seem 6276 updates. Will this repartition?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
Hi,
I have a question about repartitioning.
I have HW6276 on my RNS510 and problems with maps. How can I check the partition sizes and is there any software that will repartition to give me more room for the maps? I have seem 6276 updates. Will this repartition?

With that firmware version you don't need to change the size of the SSD partitions. Your problem with maps is elsewhere. I have the 2019 maps installed with no issues, with standard partitions sizes.

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
Would some please point me in the right direction for updating my stereo, I’ve attached a couple of photos with the firmware and map details currently on it.
image hosting forum

Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline PROSEAL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Hi, I have been told that as I have one of the older factory installed units v H03, I will not be able to use any format of DVD / CD as my unit is single layer and therefore not large enough to update the maps using any DVD. All of the 2016 onwards map updates are dual layer.  So only way to do so is using the Memory Card slot, but its tricky.  You also a DVD that has a form of boot sequence loaded to know to use the memory card to install the maps.  But I dont know where to get such or whether or not to even attempt.

I would like to get the v2019 maps Western Europe installed.  But only doing the above (Apparently if your RNS has the star button top right the newer DVD will work and can be installed for latest maps) as is state mine is the older type with the speaker and 'i' symbol and cannot be updated using DVD.

Any idea if anybody in here can update mine?  I am on Firmware 4020, already in when I bought car, but maps are from 18th Century...roundabouts not invented, certainly not according to my maps :-)