Make a donation

Author Topic: knocking type noise when accelerating on bends?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
knocking type noise when accelerating on bends?
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »
Hi Guys,
My car has developed a knocking/rumbling noise when I accelerate around bends in particular. Ive done a few searches and read about wheel hop but I dont think this is my problem. When I accelerate even in 3rd and 4th around sweeping bends I can hear a knocking noise, cant hear quite where from but been narrowing it down to the front right of the car. I dont have to be booting it just mild acceleration will cause it to knock.

I have a DSG with 18" monzas and Uniroyal rainsports with about 1000 miles on them.

Any ideas?

Im due a service in the coming months but I think it will play on my mind in the mean time!

Cheers
Jon

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 10
Re: knocking type noise when accelerating on bends?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:31 pm »
How old is your car mate? It could possibly be a CV joint on its way out which is quite common? If you have access to a ramp or get underneath the car its quite easy to spot if they are on the way out as they crack/split and oil leaks (you should see oil in that area) out which starts to make a knocking noise after time. I can best describe the part as a black plastic cover thats between the wheel and driveshaft. If you wait till the service they check it as part of the interval service and will inform you if it's needing replaced.

HTH. :happy2:

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »
Hi mate, its an 05 reg, covered 57K now so probably getting to the stage where a few things need replacing through wear and tear.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try and look underneath at the weekend and see if I can see anything suspicious!
Fingers crossed on cost to replace it if so!  :scared:

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »
How old is your car mate? It could possibly be a CV joint on its way out which is quite common? If you have access to a ramp or get underneath the car its quite easy to spot if they are on the way out as they crack/split and oil leaks (you should see oil in that area) out which starts to make a knocking noise after time. I can best describe the part as a black plastic cover thats between the wheel and driveshaft. If you wait till the service they check it as part of the interval service and will inform you if it's needing replaced.

HTH. :happy2:

x1 a good way to check is go into a big open area car park go into full lock and accelerate obv not like a nutter just steady but not granny like and do it both ways and it should click
2006 Tornado red GTI