Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317675 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #915 on: July 08, 2016, 12:37:34 pm »
Id suggest it's a bit high for track too. I tend to start with 27 cold. Like vlad says best to play around with pressures.

Offline hg05lsl

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #916 on: July 10, 2016, 11:12:03 am »
Very clean

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2016, 11:09:09 am »
Thank you  :happy2:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #918 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:50 pm »
Because racecar  :rolleye:

Can't wait for the next trackday to see this at work  :driver:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:42:33 am by rex »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #919 on: August 19, 2016, 05:58:42 pm »
Not a cheap toy but race car is enough! :evilgrin:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #920 on: September 04, 2016, 07:57:33 pm »
Finally got the time to test the VBox Sport a bit:

I am quite pleased with the results.
With the external antenna I usually get 11 and sometimes 10 satellites. Without it I get 8 or 9. So, worth a buy.
The G sensor is based on GPS so not extremely accurate. But since the VBox sport calculates the position 20 times per second I would say it is close enough, at least for me.
So, till now, I recommend it. Really curious how it will do on the track but I am afraid I will find out only next year, since this year is pretty busy.
Fingers crossed  :driver:.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #921 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:56 pm »
Hello everyone!

Quite some time since I last posted...
It's been a crazy year, where building the house took most of my energy and money. Thus, not much happened with the car till a few weeks ago.
The car has been as good as it always was. I get to drive it daily and on most days it puts a smile on my face. On a few occasions I am frustrated because the roads in Cluj-Napoca (Romania) are not the best and I can feel everything with the car even on the softest settings.

Anyway, to continue the story, I decided to have a few trackdays this year.
First I wanted a Hungaroring or Adancata (Motorpark Romania) trackday in order to test the car and than a longer Nurburgring trip with my wife (for the first time with her at Nurburgring). I got the chance to go to Adancata late in June (24th) and the car behaved ok-ish:
- it was really hot and my car doesn't really like that heat (about 32 degrees in the shade); I made a few more cooling laps and thus at least I did not have any issues
- the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are not as good on hot days as the Dunlop Direzza 03G or the Kumho v70A were. I got to overheat them a lot and the car would understeer a lot in these conditions.

All in all, the tip was worth it and I got to test the car just like I wanted to.

A few photos:

Also got a lap in the Alfa 4C with Ciprian and I have to tell you, it's something... I liked it a lot. I have to get one of those (or similar) someday...

And the best lap video - sorry for the video quality; the GoPro Session HD had problems calculating the right brightness on a sunny day with no vegetation  even if I had spot meter on :(.
For the Romanian views you can also enjoy a bit of a conversation with Ciprian (the passenger) regarding the racing lines:

Tip/comments welcomed  :drinking:

P.S. F... Photobucket and it's ransom money  :slap:...
I will transfer all the photos to Flickr - I manged to modify only the last 3 pages of the thread but I will modify them all - this year  :sad1:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:40:57 pm by rex »

Offline ihlades

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #922 on: August 03, 2017, 01:03:35 pm »
​Very cool car mate! I saw it at Adancata on the 24th of June and I have to say, it looks proper; very well maintained and very purposeful, for what it is, with the front camber, the seats and the rollbar. I can actually see my car in one of your photos:

Unfortunately I didn't run into you that day, because I wanted to ask you a couple of things:

1. What camber settings do you use for the road? How is your tyre wear and would you say the TT arms make a big difference for turn in and lateral grip?
2. Is it too soon or can you tell what sort of mileage you get from the Cup 2's?
3. About the brake kit? Besides the stopping power and the much improved feedback, did you notice any increase in brake fade resistance?

I have a '05 GTI which I use as my daily driver but it sees occasional trips to Adancata and I have planned some Nordschleife action next year. Now it's pretty obvious to me that the front axle is not up to par with my demands: it's very rubbery, lacks feedback and it could certainly use more grip (both traction and lateral).

P.S.: I would've PM'ed you, but I just registered on the forum.  :smiley:

JosephCo

« Reply #923 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:52 am »
​Very cool car mate! I saw it at Adancata on the prosolution gel review 24th of June and I have to say, it looks proper; very well maintained and very purposeful, for what it is, with the front camber, the seats and the rollbar. I can actually see my car in one of your photos:

That red is so nice, great ride you have there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:52:13 am by JosephCo »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #924 on: August 05, 2017, 07:52:36 pm »
That red is so nice, great ride you have there.

Thank you!  :drinking:

​Very cool car mate! I saw it at Adancata on the 24th of June and I have to say, it looks proper; very well maintained and very purposeful, for what it is, with the front camber, the seats and the rollbar. I can actually see my car in one of your photos:

Unfortunately I didn't run into you that day, because I wanted to ask you a couple of things:

1. What camber settings do you use for the road? How is your tyre wear and would you say the TT arms make a big difference for turn in and lateral grip?
2. Is it too soon or can you tell what sort of mileage you get from the Cup 2's?
3. About the brake kit? Besides the stopping power and the much improved feedback, did you notice any increase in brake fade resistance?

I have a '05 GTI which I use as my daily driver but it sees occasional trips to Adancata and I have planned some Nordschleife action next year. Now it's pretty obvious to me that the front axle is not up to par with my demands: it's very rubbery, lacks feedback and it could certainly use more grip (both traction and lateral).

P.S.: I would've PM'ed you, but I just registered on the forum.  :smiley:

Thanks for the kind words, buddy!
And to answer your questions:
1. I have the same camber setting for the track and for the road: aprox 2.5 Degrees. The tire wear is normal. I can't really say (objectively) how much the corner speed has improved but I can definitely say it did improve
2. Yes, it's too soon. And I use them for track days only... Up until this moment they have done 1 Hungaroring, 1 Adancata and 18 Laps of the Nurburgring (plus 500km in Germany). I would say they are worn about half.
3. Actually the braking force should be the same (maybe something like 1-2% less - you can check the NQSBBK topic for further information) but the brake feel has improved dramatically. I did not use the Pagid RS29 on the stock GTI calipers so, again, there can't be an objective comparison. I would say if you have proper brake lines, fluid, pads, disc and cooling you should be ok with a 200HP Golf (not sure if you have it remaped or not).
Cheers!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #925 on: August 05, 2017, 08:08:12 pm »
And the first photos of the last Nurburgring trip:

Next up should be the story and other photos as well + the new personal best lap video  :driver:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #926 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »
Great to see you back Vlad, car looks amazing as always, happy to see you still enjoying her  :driver:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #927 on: August 07, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »
Great to see you back Vlad, car looks amazing as always, happy to see you still enjoying her  :driver:

Thanks! Yup, still enjoying her :)... It's almost 10 years (in November). Time really flies!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #928 on: August 07, 2017, 08:01:45 pm »
And now, the Nurburgring 2017 episode...

After 2 years of not visiting the Nurburging ring (been there in '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14) it was time to have another go at the Green Hell. This time with a twist: the wife :innocent:.
She's been with me on track days but never at Nurburgring. Initially I've had some doubts that she will enjoy it but in the end it was just great (almost perfect if not for the changing weather).

We've arrived on Saturday at the La Lantera Pension, changed the tires and then went for 3 laps.

Nothing special on Saturday or Sunday, when I manged to do 8 laps (it was raining in the morning and I only went out in the afternoon).
On Monday though, the temperature was just perfect and not that crowded. It wasn't exactly free, but it was manageable. I've done another 7 laps and I went 3 or 4 times below my previous best time. Thus, my new best time is 8:51.37 (according to VBox Sport) or in short, 8:51:

A few comments:
- @ 0:19 I brake more than I should have because of the yellow flags and because the Megane RS slowed down in front of me. According to VBox I lost about 1 second over there.
- @ 1:10 I reject the incoming call (you can hear the phone ring from the beginning) - it would have been an interesting lap if I was having a phone conversation in the meanwhile  :slap:
- Flugplatz @ 1:45 is not the best approach I've had but it is close enough.
- @ 2:28 I signal right and ease of the gas (just a but) to let the Caymen GT4 pass. Since he shows no interest in overtaking I signal right 6/7 seconds later and procede on the racing line. After he overtakes me a bit later he gives me the thumbs up so I guess he wasn't too pissed about it.
- @ 4:45 I caught up with a mk6 GTI. Although I was overall faster then him, you can easily see the difference in horse power between the 2 cars. I would expect he was stock because that's about how much better a 230bhp turbo car pulls but I can't say for sure. Anyway... I need more HP!
- @ 5:35 I lift off for a second at Mutkurve. I've had a progressive approach and by the end of the trip I could do the Mutkurve flat out. Interesting feeling but that's why I come to Nurburgring.
- @ 5:45 the Ariel Atom catches me and later overtakes me so effortlessly... That is one nice car...
- @ 7:25 the is probably the fastest approach for Brünnchen I've had.
- @ 8:05 at Pflanzgarten II I ease of the gas in order not to run in the Seat. I also use the curb not to take any chances.

Comments (especially about racing lines & stuff) are very much welcomed!

The day after the track was much more crowded and I could not come close to the best lap again.
The car behaved great during the whole trip with a few highlights::
- the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are awesome for Nurburgring (as I previously wrote, I did not like them on Hungaroring or Adancata Motorpark Romania)
- the car's setup was great with 8 front / 7 rear (Bilstein B16 harshness out of 10) but it was a bit too soft for me. I should go with 9/8 next time or even 10/9.
- the brakes were, again awesome but they need replacing. Already ordered replacement JHooks for back & front, Pagid RS29 for the NQSBBK and DS2500 for the rear (current setup).
- the engine was great apart from a lap were I've had a few missfires.
- a small platic came of the gearbox assembly and now I ocassionally have problems changing gears  :scared:. I once wanted to go from 3rd (red line) to 4th but manged to put it into 2nd  :ashamed:. It's never happened till now... Hope the engine did not suffer any permanent damage (I would hate to change it for a 2.0  :jumping:)

All in all, I've had a lot of fun, managed to push my limits a bit further and returned unscathed . In the end that's what's I'm after, not lap times. Lap times are just an indicator of how much I've improved. I think that with this car and this driver, on an ideal day, I could go as low as 8:3X.       
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:54:32 pm by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #929 on: August 10, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »
And the remaining photos: