Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317598 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #960 on: May 17, 2019, 06:32:09 pm »
Yup, agree... I need more power  :evilgrin:.
I will eventually do the swap some time...

Yes, definitely film your runs. You will be able to improve your driving skills later on...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:44:31 pm by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #961 on: August 02, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »
Hello everyone!
Over the past almost 12 years I have fully enjoyed the Golf but lately, I no longer do. And it all comes down to the engine... When I rev it to 6000 - 6500 RPM in 1st or 2nd gear, I get a lot of missfires and the engine goes into limp mode. So, I desperately have to do something about it.
And now I am asking for advice...

The sensible and intelligent move would be so sell the car (possibly break it and then sell it) and them move on. BUT, I still like how it looks and drives (except the reliability engine issues). So, I am heavily considering an engine swap...

I recently bough a VW T-Cross, so now I have one 2013 Seat Ibiza to sell. With those money (+/-) I am thinking of buying another complete Golf and do the swap. Since there are a lot of GTI/R32 owners I am asking you for advice on what to buy.

The options are (listed in order of preference at the moment):
1. 2.0 TFSI 200 BHP with DSG
2. 2.0 TFSI 230 BHP (ED30) with DSG
3. 2.0 TFSI 230 BHP (ED30) with Manual
4. 3.2 FSI (R32) Manual/DSG with 4Motion mod as well.

I intend to track the car (but not extensively - since I plan to buy a track car in the next 3-4 years). After that point, I will only occasionally track the car and the car will become a weekend car.

Are there huge problems with the DSG?
How does the clutch in the Manual version handle Stage 3 power?
I have ready many articles, posts but, any advice from owners, or even better people who had more variants is extremely welcomed!
 :notworthy:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #962 on: August 27, 2019, 01:58:21 pm »
Get a CDL, BYD, BWJ or BHZ with the lowest miles your budget can get, and with the best service history possible.

Only consider the BWA if you want to forge it before retrofitting. For big power, a DSG version will be easier to use. For a manual version, a Helix clutch from AKS Tuning can handle up to ~400 bhp, with a CDL dual-mass flywheel.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #963 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:24 pm »
Almost a year since I last wrote anything over here... And I can't believe the car is almost 13 years old! And I think I like it more than day one.
Over the past year, I've been trying to find ways to keep enjoying the car. As you may have read above, the engine is the only major thing that needs attention - and badly.
I tried to have a 2.0 K04 engine swap but, after I think I found the issue with this engine, I backed out of the swap (which was approx. 5k EUR for a Manual 2.0 K04 and 6k EUR for a DSG K04). I believe the main issue with the engine is the carbon buildup:

I will try to clean the valves and the injectors and then see if the car is fine. If I can't find a not to intrusive or expensive way of cleaning the valves, I am even considering switching the cylinder head all together - since I have a brand new cylinder head from the previous engine... Fingers crossed I don't have to...

Also during the past year, I went back to the OEM seats for the MOT inspection (even if it is not agains the law, some people have problems with the fact that I no longer have a back seat and that I have RECARO front seats. So I did not want to take a chance. Since I had all seats, I could also enjoy the car with my little son in it.
But, after a few months I got tired of the OEM seats and I went back the the RECARO ones.

Before:

During:

After:

Plans for the future?
Well, if it all works well with the carbon clean, I want to have all the mods approved by the Romanian Road Authorities so that I don't have any more issues and, also, have the 18 or 19 inch rims approved (they are not right now). Then, I would like to get some 18 inch Speedline Corsa's or BBS CH-R or (if I am crazy, maybe some BBS RS-GT).
And I will only drive the car during the summer months so, the spring thorough clean (getting rid of the salt accumulated in the wheel arches and under the car) will no longer be necessary:

I am also planing of building a 4 car garage this year (2 cars on top of each other) that will complement the 2 car garage I currently have. Thus, I will have room for 2 more cars  :party:

All the best! Keep safe!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:22:57 pm by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #964 on: October 12, 2020, 04:09:48 pm »
New brakes!

Same as the old ones, but new  :innocent:.

The current calipers started to make a strange sound - so I decided to have them changed and refurbished.
Next up - new 18 inch wheels... Which ones? Not yet sure... there are 3 candidates: BBS CH-R Silver, Speedline Course Silver, BBS VZ (ET 44 Pescara) in Anthracite.

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=738iab9rd25irje3c36o8tc4n7&/topic,124095.0.html
« Reply #965 on: October 17, 2020, 01:19:53 pm »
New brakes!

Same as the old ones, but new  :innocent:.

The current calipers started to make a strange sound - so I decided to have them changed and refurbished.
Next up - new 18 inch wheels... Which ones? Not yet sure... there are 3 candidates: BBS CH-R Silver, Speedline Course Silver, BBS VZ (ET 44 Pescara) in Anthracite.

What was the strange noise on the calipers?

As for wheels - has to be the Speedline Course!
MY 3 DOOR 370BHP MANUAL GTI TRACK BUILD - WAVETRACK DIFF, CAGED, POLYCARBS, KO4, DB9 BRAKES, METH, BARTEK, VIS, HELIX PADDLE CLUTCH/SMF, FLOCKED DASH, 18X9 PRO RACE

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,124095.0.html

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #966 on: October 17, 2020, 01:33:15 pm »
I really can't explain the sound  :grin:. But it is surely not normal... I had it checked and, 100%, it came from the front calipers. I guess I will know once I have the current calipers refurbished (next year).

I think the BBS CH-R are my current number one choice because I love the way they look, they are 0.5 inch wider and they have the proper offset (47)... The downside is the price...
The Speedline Course Tourini are a close second because they look nice, they should be very robust (with the racing pedigree), and are relatively cheap. The downside is the ET and the fact that, for some reason demon tweeks is not delivering them to Romania (not sure why, I've had more orders from them, so it shouldn't be a general issue. I have to contact them so find the reason).

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=738iab9rd25irje3c36o8tc4n7&/topic,124095.0.html
Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #967 on: October 17, 2020, 03:44:34 pm »
I really can't explain the sound  :grin:. But it is surely not normal... I had it checked and, 100%, it came from the front calipers. I guess I will know once I have the current calipers refurbished (next year).

I think the BBS CH-R are my current number one choice because I love the way they look, they are 0.5 inch wider and they have the proper offset (47)... The downside is the price...
The Speedline Course Tourini are a close second because they look nice, they should be very robust (with the racing pedigree), and are relatively cheap. The downside is the ET and the fact that, for some reason demon tweeks is not delivering them to Romania (not sure why, I've had more orders from them, so it shouldn't be a general issue. I have to contact them so find the reason).

I hope new calipers stop the sound then! Nothing worse than a brake noise... My 996TT calipers were squealing extremely loud, found out they were technically upside down  :doh:

I've just got some 18x9 TD pro Race 1.2 on mine, was told the offset was ET35... Seems like they're ET20!! so big arches incoming  :laugh:

BBS CH-R ae great. Just look too similar to the Pescara's, and the Pescara hide the big brakes a little  :sad1:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:08:34 pm by shannon-ob »
MY 3 DOOR 370BHP MANUAL GTI TRACK BUILD - WAVETRACK DIFF, CAGED, POLYCARBS, KO4, DB9 BRAKES, METH, BARTEK, VIS, HELIX PADDLE CLUTCH/SMF, FLOCKED DASH, 18X9 PRO RACE

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #968 on: October 18, 2020, 09:30:45 am »
My calipers have been inverted from the start...
Regarding your wheels, I am really curious to see if you find proper arches - but I will reply to your thread.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #969 on: February 05, 2021, 09:26:51 pm »
The Golf received little attention lately due to the other car madness happening: bought a '99 Audi A4 2.8 v6 quattro, sold the 981 Cayman Black Edition, bought a 718 GT4.
But this is still my favorite car and it will receive the proper attention shortly.

In the meanwhile, I decided upon the 18 inch wheels I will equip the Golf with... None of the variants stated above largely because of the cost of the BBS CH-R or Speedline Tourini wheels.
I loved the look of the VW OEM Goal wheels, when I had them in 17 inches. Now, I went for the same wheels but in 18 inches...
I had them refurbished in OEM Silver color.

I am eager to see them on the car but the new tires (Michelin SuperSport) are to arrive only in about a month.
So I have to be patient :popcornsoda:... Thankfully the other cars keep me busy  :driver:
Stay healthy, everyone!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:32:28 pm by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #970 on: April 05, 2021, 07:43:08 pm »
A few updates...

I changed the calipers and yes, the unnatural brake sound came from the older calipers - so these will be refurbished. I am not yet sure if I will have them as a spare set of calipers for the Golf or for the second latest car I bought (a '99 Audi A4 2.8 V6 quattro). But this will not be done immediately as Brexit has made it much more complicated to buy and send/receive things from UK.

Also managed to mount the tires and the corresponding wheel spacers (11mm back, 20mm front - mounted not for brake clearance but for looks).

I love the stance and the overall way the car looks. So, at least for not, I don't have any mod in mind.
At one point, I might consider an engine swap (2.0 or 3.2) but I am not in a hurry.

All the best!

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #971 on: April 06, 2021, 04:42:14 pm »
Glad you fixed the noise with the calipers.

Brexit sucks! Had a charge when buying my rocker cover from BarTek.

Wheels look good bud.

Would you be leaving the 3.2 N/A?

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #972 on: April 06, 2021, 06:19:02 pm »
The cars only drawback is the engine, which neither sounds nor pulls adequately - this is the reason for the 2.0 or 3.2 swap.
I think my first preference is to change the 1.4 with the 3.2... I would like to add another 6 cylinder car to the collection (besides the V6 and Boxer 6 I already have). Than only the inline 6 will be missing :).
But with the 3.2 VR6 engine swap I have to do the 4wd conversion as well.  And I want to enjoy the GT4 before spending more money on the Golf.  :drinking:

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #973 on: April 08, 2021, 11:01:59 am »
I'm not too clued up with the 3.2. But I have heard that they're not particularly quick? Very heavy too? Not great for a car used on track a lot?

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #974 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:52 pm »
Yes, it should be heavier... But that's not a problem since I will use the Golf on the track very rarely (if any).
I have the GT4 for trackdays :).