Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317556 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - slightly modified
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:08 am »
Thought the 1.4 TSI would be lighter.  :innocent:

My GTI was exactly 1407 kg incl. me (90 kg) and 3/4 tank measured on all corners at Raeder Motorsport.
Now the car weighs about 15 - 20 kg less.

So about 1380 kg incl. me and half tank or clearly below 1300 kg without driver.  :wink:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2011, 08:15:34 pm »
Your times rex are very good and now that you know the track quite well you will probably have little to improve unless you loose weight or put on even stickier tires. If you loose about 100Kg, I think you could go for the medium compound Kumhos !
I am watching the videos and discovering new mistakes. So I think I can further improve my lines.
Compound choice is dependent on the weather. I don't quite have the money for both medium and hard compounds (nor the wheels). So I will stick to these tires and than hopefully switch to BFGoodridge GForce R1 (witch was my initial choice but could not find an importer in Romania). BTW, instead of the appearance BFGoodridge GForce R1 is road legal. Wouldn't like to drive those on the wet, though  :grin:

Photo from here: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q2/track-tire_test_bfgoodrich_toyo_michelin_and_yokohama_tires_rated-gear_box

My GTI was exactly 1407 kg incl. me (90 kg) and 3/4 tank measured on all corners at Raeder Motorsport.
Now the car weighs about 15 - 20 kg less.

So about 1380 kg incl. me and half tank or clearly below 1300 kg without driver.  :wink:

OMG!!! Excuse me for asking but are you sure those figures are correct??
If they are your car is very, very, very light... NeilM has 1329kg! Yes he has DSG (30kg-40kg) and rollcage (another maybe 10kg-20kg) but nothing else...
I am really surprised that you car weighs so little  :drinking:
All the best!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:48:57 pm by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:06 pm »
And this is the 3rd and final video from the last trip to Hungaroring.

A few words about it:
- as I said before I made this trip with 2 of my friends: Adrian with a 534 bhp S3 (with a lower bhp setup around 420bhp) and Vlad with a 413bhp Polo GTI (also with a lower bhp setup not sure around what figure LE: He had about 300bhp and ~380hhp on the long straight). Since this session you will see the Polo more I should tell you that the Polo had semislicks, some TA Technic suspension, stock brakes with a little improvement due to the racing brake liquid and updated pads.
- about 2 pages ago there was a picture with these cars and a GTR. Also there is Adi's film of for this session (danishmk5gti posted the link).
- first of all, everybody was amassed to see the Polo gaining ground from the GTR on the straight (the GTR's passenger started clapping his hands when he saw the Polo gaining ground  :happy2:). You can see these 2 cars side by side in the video but not much else about this 'dogfight'. Unfortunately the Polo due to the Polo's setup this battle was lost from the beginning (the S3 however has faster than that GTR)
- about 3 laps I am going behind Vlad trying to see how my car measures up against his car  :jumping:. You can see the HUGE difference in power on the straights. On the bends however is another story. I was about 1-2 sec faster per lap than Vlad but I could have never overtaken him because I just wasn't close enough when it was time to brake. But fortunately Vlad let me overtake him so I was free to try some hot laps.
- the laps were quick, but not as quick as I had hoped. I managed 2.23.6, 2.24.1, 2.24.2, 2.24.8 on my last 4 laps so I did not beat my previous best lap 2.23.4 (in the previous session)
- although from my point of view there is no competition on track days I must admit it felt good seeing a MK1 Focus RS in the rear view mirror from the beginning of the session to the end of the session. You can see the Focus in the video but because of the lower resolution 640x480 you can barely say it is a focus (there is a better view after overtaking the Corolla). But trust me, it's there. I am not sure what mods this Focus had but it definitely had Brembo BBK racing seats and 2 seats (this is what I saw). Not sure if the driver did not push his car for a reason but if felt good  :smiley:.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:49:10 pm by rex »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
OMG!!! Excuse me for asking but are you sure those figures are correct??
If they are your car is very, very, very light... NeilM has 1329kg! Yes he has DSG (30kg-40kg) and rollcage (another maybe 10kg-20kg) but nothing else...
I am really surprised that you car weighs so little  :drinking:
All the best!

Absolutely sure about it, Rex. I had it measured twice.
I even have photos of it.

:drinking:

(while having 3/4 of fuel and me sitting in the car, what is absolutely neccesary for corner weighting)

I know that some GTIs are heavier, but I think this is even too much.

:wink:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 06:46:14 pm »
I never doubted you sincerity  :smiley: I was just thinking that maybe the scale was messed up  :grin:.
I am really glad to hear that you have such a light car (same as mine  :grin:).
Cheers!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »
 :evilgrin:

Yes, we all take advantage of having our lightweight Golfs compared to the poor RS6 guys !!

:drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:26 pm »
 :grin: Depends where we are...

These days I am thinking of my next modifications. My next mods will be some style mods (I think)...
Not sure what I will do next so I wanted to have one last try with the LED tail lights. Here is how the car looks with the LED's.

I like how they look but I like stock better. I think I will paint the current taillights for a R32/ED30 look. I wanted to buy these but they are too expensive and I can have a similar look at a fraction of the price.
Thanks for watching!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:07:11 pm by rex »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Led's as i have them myself, i never really fancyed the original ones, so keep the Led's IMO  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:45 pm »
Just an idea:

the LED lights outside and go for the R32 as inner lights  :wink:

Have seen this combination on a swiss Golf and it looked fabulous.
Guess the inner lights of the LED set dont' do not incorporate any
LED technology.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2011, 09:03:29 pm »
danishmkvgti I really love the LED's on any Golf but mine  :grin:. On Black/White/Red they look awesome (the best tail lights in my opinion). But I they do not look the same on my car.

the bruce Thanks for the idea... I might try to see how it looks. The problem is I will have to match the LED and R32 color perfectly. Since the R32 are painted by me this will be very hard to accomplish.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »
Well guy, let me tell you what happened to me today...
I was at my computer minding my own business when my boss comes to me and asks me if I have some time... I replied that I have a little bit of time so he told me to follow him. On the stairs he told me that we had to meet a very famous rally driver (the National Rally has a stage in the city I live these days) . This guy is Titi Aur (I am sure none of you heard of him since he is known in Romania mostly) and we was are national rally champion a number of times (1995, 1997,1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006).
I was thrilled and so I ran to my car to get my racing gloves and balaclava (hope this is the English word). I keep them in the car "just in case"  :smiley:.
So we got to the meeting place and soon realized that I will not be driving anything... In return I got to be copilot for the shakedown stage (3.5km). It was an interesting run but not as exciting as driving the Nurburging or a Subaru Rally Car on the gravel.
The thing that surprised me most was the acceleration. I was expecting a brutal acceleration (because of the 150bhp I am used to) but no like that... I really envy you guys which have 300+ bhp  :grin:
The rest of the journey was fast but not that impressive for me... It was a tarmac rally and maybe I am used with going fast over on tarmac  :laugh:... Hope I can be the copilot on a gravel shakedown (or better: the driver  :drool:).

Because I had some time to kill I asked Titi Aur for some setup information (camber, suspension, tires) and I also got to have a look at many of the cars (I felt just like a kid in the candy store  :drinking:).
One thing that surprised my was the extensive use of "J Hook" disks... Of course all the disks were floating but if this pattern is used in rally, wtcc and other competitions it means it is quite competent. Thanks again DaveB for the advice and manufacturing of my brakes  :happy2:

The shakedown run was also captured on camera (using the same camera as I have) but I didn't have time to watch the videos yet.
Thanks for watching  :drinking:.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:11:27 pm by rex »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
 :happy2:

:driver:

Offline GTIforpassion

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2011, 11:22:46 am »
Water cooled intercooler ??  O_O  What have you mount ??

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »
the bruce   :drinking:

GTIforpassion the water cooled intercooler is stock for 1.4 TFSI engines (and 1.2 TFSI/TSI). It is something with ups and downs just like everything in this life  :smiley:
If I would like to upgrade the intercooler I would have to add another intercooler preferably from 1.8T. But I will go this extra length if I install a bigger turbo.
The fact is that I am becoming more and more aware of my lack of power and I think I should do something about it  :drinking:.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:31 pm »
You know the best way for much more power:

buy an Edition 30 or the new Edition 35.  :wink:

And fit all the parts you already have to the new car.