Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 320972 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - slightly modified
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:15 pm »
Thank you fuscobal! Wish you will join me again next year.  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
Well guys, I just returned from my Nring + Spa trip and I have to say all is good. The car is fine and so am I.
I could make one huge post telling you all about this trip but I think that is not such a good idea. So, I will make smaller posts (they are still quite long).

Well, I left my home on the 4th of august and in the evening of the 5th I arrived at Nurburgring. The car was quite fuel efficient as you can see below.

I could have had even better mpg's but the German Highway took it's toll (no speed restrictions, roads in construction and a lot of traffic jams).

So, as I was saying I arrived on the evening of the fifth, I changed my tires (I managed to scratch one of my BBS rims), unpacked and I was ready to have a lap of the Nurburgring that evening.

I got to the track but the track was closed. So, I tried to find a spot to park the car but I didn't have any luck. I asked somebody (they looked German but in fact were British) why the track was closed and they said that there was a big accident involving cars and bikes and the track was closed for more then an hour. They noticed my discs so I told them that these were made in the UK  :drinking: Than I set of to have the dinner. After the dinner I decided to browse the web at my hotel. There was another guy watching videos of laps in the dining room and I started chating with him. He turned out to be Roberto Merhi. He is the leader of the Forumla 3 Championship. We chatted about the Nring and Hring and Spa lines, about team mates, about cars, etc.... He also invited me to the races taking place the following day (he even gave me a paddock ticket so I could go in and out as I pleased).

So...I did just that. But first I went for 5 laps of the Nordschelife. The first ones were really slow (just below 10 min) because the track was wet (on some parts even all the track was wet and I did not want to take any chances). There was also a lot of traffic which made my work even harder. It was also very frustrating because my tires would rub against the wheel arches. So, after these laps I went to the GP track to see Roberto. I went on the pit lanes and spied on some Seats and Sciroccos (they were also racing that weekend).

After that I saw Roberto win his first race of the day. He was very nice and he invited in the paddock.

Than I set up to have some other laps.

The next 2 laps were really "something". In the first lap I almost hit a Porsche.

This guy was really slow and he did not let me pass... This does not bother me too much but before a corner he braked to much and I almost hit him from behind.

The next lap was the scariest lap I have ever done (so far). I started going even though it was beginning to rain. I followed a Renault Clio RS at the beginning of this lap.

I had to much confidence in my driving skills (very childish of me)... and in the Eschbach bend (minute 7:55 of the video below, at km 16, just before the observation post) the car oversteered a lot. I don't know how I didn't crash the car then and there. I remember thinking I would hit the rails, at a point I remember hitting the brake pedal, I remember hitting the gas pedal (not sore at what point, though). But I managed to survive and I noticed that the track was really wet and I went a lot slower for the rest of the lap.

Than it started to rain heavily and I went to eat. After I ate I went to the hotel and raised my front and removed the back spacers. I hoped this would prevent the rubbing I was telling you above and in a great part it did, as I was to find out the next lap. So, I made one more lap but at a slow pase(9.50)

Then I went to see Roberto in his second race of the day. Now I sat in the Mercedes Benz Arena and I had a great view of much of the track. Roberto stared 8th and he won. It was one of the best driving I have ever seen (on TV also). This guy is really really good.

Then a dinner at Sabine's place ended that day.
The following days will be presented in the following posts.
Cheers  :drinking:

*Edit: I changed the video with a better version. The previous one had a editing mistake (some scenes were twice) and the new one corrected these mistakes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:37:36 pm by rex »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »
excellent reading, looking forward to hearing more  :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »
as always nice write up  :happy2:

ps
now you'll know why I told you  :wink:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »
Thanks guys!  :drinking:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08:47 am »
your thread is brilliant, always enjoy reading it and of your adventures!  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:56 am »
Thank you very much, frenzy! To see my car and my thread be appreciated among these great cars and threads is quite amassing. It means I did something right.  :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:30:15 am by rex »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:50 am »
Damn I wish I have been there with you...:) Very nice writeup, waiting for the rest of the story !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »
Thank you, fuscobal!

And to continue the story...
This day, the 7th of August, was the second day of the weekend when the track was opened for the whole day. So, again I made as many laps as I could...
Unfortunately this day also had its share of accidents, bad weather and a lot of traffic. But not entirely.

Between laps of the Nordscheife I also went to see Robertos race. This time he finished second but the points are very valuable for the championship.

After pretty much a whole day of traffic and bad weather the miracle happened  :driver:. I managed to have a very, very low traffic lap with excellent weather. The track was not quite in the best state because there were a lot of oil spills so I did not push as hard as I could have on those sections. These things made me have my best lap yet. The time is quite hard to measure exactly (there are no line for BTG) but from my calculations I made a little bit better than 9:01:08. It could have been something like 9:00:80 but I will just round that to 9:01. One of my hidden objectives was to have a 8:XX time. This would have been the icing on the cake but it was not meant to be. No worries, I will try again next year.

If you look closely the film is 9 minutes and 3 seconds long. Considering that there are 3 seconds to reach the Bilstein Bridge and there are 2 seconds after I pass the Audi Bridge you might think my time was 8:58. Well, on my original film the time is 9.01 so I think that the film editor is to blame for shortening the lap.

For those of you who know the Nring I will say a few works about the bends where I feel that I could have gone faster:
- T13 - I could have had a higher entry speed (there is a small difference between my driving here and my conception of the best lines and speeds)
- Hatzenbach - I could have been faster here but I braked more than I should have. At least I had a nice "slow in fast out" approach.
- Hocheichen - I missed the apex. I lost a little bit of time here.
- Flugplatz - I could have been on the gas a fraction sooner but I lost very little time here.
- Schwedenkreus - I braked more than I should have. Considering that this is one of the most dangerous bends I am have I braked more than I should have than the other way around :smiley:
- Fuchsrohre - I was slower than the maxim the car could give because there was the oil stain sign and at 125mph I didn't want to take many chances. But I don't think I lost a lot of time here, either.
- Adenauer Forst - I should have had a different entry but I was afraid that the car would understeer on the entry. The car did understeer mid corner especially because of the higher than normal entry speed.
- I am not hitting the apex before Miss-Hit-Miss
- on the entry of Miss-Hit-Miss I am not using the whole width of the track. If I was to use the full width the car would understeer and I would not hit the apex on the "Hit" corner. So I just preferred this approach.
- Bergwerk - I had to be on the brakes sooner over here because on the previous day there was oil on the track and the entire bend was covered in sand. Now the sand was still present and that is why I use the middle of the track more. Anyway the entry and exit are very good, just a little of attention is required because there is a lot of sand on the exit also.
- Karussell - I brake more than it is required for this corner. I didn't quite get the entry speed worked out for this corner. I am loosing some time here.
- Wippermann - I could have been a little faster through here
- Eschbach - there is a slower car that is costing me some time
- Platzengarten1 - I am slower than I should be because I have rubbing issues in this bend and also because it is quite a difficult corner. If you are a little bit too fast, you will hit crash the car.
- Platzengarten3 - I am only a little bit slower than my car can go. This is because of the big incline/decline, because of the high speed (more than 100mph), because of the blind curbs and because of the differences in level between the right and the left part of the track. I just didn't feel like risking it all to go with "the pedal to the metal" from the entry point. This is, in my opinion one of the scariest bends around Nring.
- Schwalbenschwanz - I brake more than I should have over here.
Well this was the description of the lap. I hope I didn't bore you to much!

Oh, and there are 2 more things I want to point out:
1. The Kumho v70a semislicks are not helping me too much on this track. The Nordschelife is quite slippery even with semislicks (honestly I didn't feel much of a difference between the semislicks and the normal road high performance tires). And to add to this the semislicks are a little bit more unpredictable than the normal high performance street tires. The wear on the semislick is minimal on this track.
2. I tried to go right to the limit of the kerbs without touching them (except Wippermann). For a good time I think it is imperative to be more aggressive and ride the kerbs. But, again, the time was not my primary concern.

Below you have some pictures of the car taken that day:

Thanks for watching!
 :drinking:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:50:33 pm by rex »

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2011, 04:00:19 pm »
Just watched your 1st vid  :congrats:

Brilliant save at Brunnchen (i think? around the 14km marker) and how you did that without looking like you had  :ashamed: your pants is equally impressive. In fact watching your lines around the circuit they are very good and definitely brave, especially given the wet conditions and that you don't have a racing seat. Very impressive. I don't think i'd have the balls to do that in my own car  :laugh:

Would be great for your vids if you could get the kit which shows MPH/KPH and G readout  :popcornsoda:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
Thanks frenzy!

I am not sure what save you are talking about... Is it this one:
I had to much confidence in my driving skills (very childish of me)... and in the Eschbach bend (minute 7:55 of the video below, at km 16, just before the observation post) the car oversteered a lot.

If it's not, could you please tell me the minute and second where it happens?
Please note that I swapped that first video with a better version. In the original film, there were some editing mistakes and some parts were run twice. The second video fixes these mistakes.

Yes, some lines are brave, other are just stupid. Please bear in mind that I have semislicks and that the track is very slippery. It's not about balls is about insanity  :grin:. But with time I am learning to better control the car so I can be even crazier  :grin:. I know it's just a matter of time before I have my first crash because it is, in my opinion, impossible to have many track days and no accident. I just hope that when it happens I'll be fine (along with everybody else from the car).

About the mph/kph... the camera has these. But when I export the films in order to put them on youtube this information cannot be exported. So I am the only one that can see the speed. Some runs are without speed (as is the last video) because I just don't plug the GPS receiver into the camera (you can see that I am trying to do this at the start of the last video). But I can't do that so for this run I just leave the GPS reciver unplugged.
One of my longer term plans is to buy a GoProHero and have it film the dashboard. This way you will see the RPM, the speed and this way the sound would also be much better.
Unfortunately my camera does not have a G readout.

Thanks for your comment!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:36:32 pm by rex »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:04 pm »
rex, by ''save'' Frenzy was reffering to the recovering of the car you did after it badly oversteered without showing any sign of panic on your face :) !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »
Rex, the pokerface !!   :evilgrin:

:drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2011, 06:36:01 am »

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:26 am »
I wish I had that face when playing poker. I would be rich by now  :grin:.
Guys, no input about my second video (the one with the fastest lap)... Was I good, was I bad? Did I make many mistakes?