Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 321324 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - slightly modified
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
I still like your reports very much.  :happy2:

Unfortunately you're right - a Scuderia is a different league.  :ashamed:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2011, 11:43:41 pm »
Watched your 2nd Nordschleife vid - in my opinion you are a very brave driver who takes excellent lines through some of the most demanding corners found on any track anywhere in the world  :notworthy:

I've read the Spa write ups and can't wait to watch the vids for these, just need to find the time but do keep the write ups and the vids coming  :party:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2011, 12:09:59 am »
Really enjoyed the Spa write up Rex.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:49:43 pm by Top Cat »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »
Thanks the bruce  :happy2:!

Thank you, Frenzy. Yes, I agree that the lines are brave. Please believe me when I tell you that that lap (the best lap) was a major adrenaline rush for me. I was really on the edge (my edge or the cars edge) a number of times. I honestly think that lap is one in a life time. From now on I either learn to handle the car better and I won't have such an adrenaline rush or, if I'm stupid, I will learn nothing and go over the edge. I hope I will be smart enough not to do that.
At the moment I am out of vids, but I might make one more about overtaking on the North Loop.

Glad to hear that TC!

Hope I didn't make to many grammar mistakes in my comments  :laugh:. If I did, please excuse me!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:49:59 am by rex »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:34 am »
Well guys, and to end the story about the last trip I have to talk about the last day.
Beside the post about lapping that day I have to show you photos of the parking lot.

I think my car is well camouflaged:

At least I had Porsche Brakes  :laugh:. I also spoke to some Porsche mechanics and that were replacing OEM pads on a 911 Turbo. The pads were Pagid.
They also changed some pads on other cars in the parking lot with Pagid Blue (at the customers request). So Pagid should work well on Porsche calipers.

And I also have to tell you about the visit I made to Raeder Motorsport that day.
Well, first of all a big THANK YOU for the bruce. This trip was really worth while, great tip. I had the impression that Raeder Motorsport really know what they are doing.
Over here I spent about an hour talking to their technical support engineer. This guy was really helpful.
I still have to think what I want to do next with the car (except the Kerscher wings that will probably be bought in spring) but if I will change my seats, put in a roll cage and buy a harness I think I will go with Raeder Motorsport. This will be done primarily for safety but It's a lot o money and there are many ways to do it so I have to sleep on it.

Thanks for watching!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:26:14 am by rex »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2011, 08:53:00 pm »
It's crazy the cars that all go to the Green Hell, risking loss and injury on the most dangerous track in the world.
Its just MECCA.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »
Its just MECCA.  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Funny, that's the way I described it after my first visit in 2009.
Then I went with some guys that had GTI's and S3's and the hotel parking lot was full of Porsche's plus some other great looking cars (lamborghini). Then at the track again we saw truly amassing cars again.
So, the best was to be different and stand out in the crowd is either to have a Golf or something just as exotic like Veyron or Enzo. Both ways you will be noticed  :grin:.

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2011, 12:05:25 am »
Just been through the whole of your thread..Car is fantastic!  :congrats:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2011, 07:18:43 am »
Thanks!  :smiley:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »
Well folks, I haven't written here in a while. So, here's what is going on...
I am preparing for another track day at Hungaroring on the 2nd of October.
As I result I changed the intake. Just to remind you, I am keeping the OEM intake because there is a lot of dust in Romania (I actually think there's so much dust that we must be importing it from somewhere). It might not be much but I am really putting the engine to a lot of pressure with these track days so I want to be as safe as I can be (I doubt my engine was intended for a track day car  :innocent:)

Before

After

Again my car sound like I have 300+ bhp under the bonnet  :grin:.

And today the new pads have arrived. Thanks Dave!
The pads I chose are (once more) Pagid Orange RS 4-4  for the front and Ferodo DS 2500 for the back.

The pads on the rear brakes will be changed only next year because they seem to be quite ok.
The pads on the nqsbbk are changed because I want to bed them in before the track day. I am not sure that the old pads will hold for all the track day so it is better to have another set of pads already bedded in.
Before:

After:

As you can the the old one are a little bit "cooked". I wounder how I managed to do that  :innocent:  :evilgrin:.

Thanks for watching!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 10:11:00 am by rex »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:29 pm »
Rex, will the filter enclosure remain open?
Then it'l suck hot air !!  :wink:

ps: wish I could reach the brake fluid as easy as you

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2011, 06:46:17 am »
Well, with the open filter is a longer story... But you definitely have a good point!
I have a pipe that goes to the open front RLine grille. This is for the cold air intake. This pipe is installed but not visible in the photos.
The filter has TUV, only with the top on but they say that if I want more power just take the top off...
While testing the car it seemed that I have more power with the open air filter (sightly more boost). So I guess I will go with the open air filter.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:03 am »
I am thinking of changing my track wheels and I would like to buy Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 7.5 x 17 ET 45.
Does anybody know if this wheels fits the nqsbbk without the use of spacers? Please note than the wheel I want to buy is only 7,5 inches wide and 17 inches in diameter (opposed to the 8x18 ET45 rim used by many over here).

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I have my own question
for you: Why change the wheels? Of course they will be a bit lighter, but
is it worth the hassle?
And if you change the wheels why not swap to a non compromise solution?
8" width and an offset of ET50 seem much more perfect to me.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2011, 12:02:49 pm »

Great thread Rex  :congrats:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »
I am thinking of changing my track wheels and I would like to buy Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 7.5 x 17 ET 45.
Does anybody know if this wheels fits the nqsbbk without the use of spacers? Please note than the wheel I want to buy is only 7,5 inches wide and 17 inches in diameter (opposed to the 8x18 ET45 rim used by many over here).

I am going to guess at yes, they should fit. I had the same spec track wheels and fitted the B5 RS4 set up under a 17in TD at 7.5 width the disc was 362 mil. It is the diameter of the wheel that needs checking for clearance. i had to put the wheel balance weights on the back of the rim, because of the tiny clearance.
And i think you will be using smaller discs so i cant see why it wouldn't fit. ( though i could easily be talking through my arse. )  :rolleye: