Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317639 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #435 on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
 :innocent:

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #436 on: June 12, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
....You are very wise, Rex - Don't let these hardcore modding addicts tempt you!
I had this plan before... just after I bought the Bilstein B16 suspension and it was an epic fail (I can say I only started spending money after the suspension).
Hope I can stick to the plan now  :grin:

:innocent:
:grin:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
....You are very wise, Rex - Don't let these hardcore modding addicts tempt you!

:happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

In Germany some say "less is more".

We all know sometimes it's easier spending money than stopping it, particularly when it comes to modding cars.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:33 pm »

We all know sometimes it's easier spending money than stopping it, particularly when it comes to modding cars.

....So true! I have stopped spending money on mods several times!  :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #439 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:45 am »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

:congrats:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #440 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:20 am »
In Germany some say "less is more".
I agree  :happy2:.

....So true! I have stopped spending money on mods several times!  :laugh:
:grin:  :grin: :happy2:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #441 on: June 15, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
Well guys, after a long time editing (I had some issues over here) I managed to post one more video.

Here it is:

And a few words about it:
- this film contains my best 2 laps (identical time) and the lap where I lost control of the car
- the first lap of the video is the first lap from the third session. This is a lap where I did not push to hard but still I got a good time. There is also some traffic that slowed me down a little bit.
- the second lap of the video is the last lap from the fifth session. This is a lap where I was really pushing and where I made a lot of mistakes. But, none the less, I still got a good time. Unfortunately the GoPro made this video without capturing the sound (I have no idea why, did any of you experience this?) so I added a soundtrack. I hope you like the soundtrack.
- even though I had identical times on the first two laps of the video you can see a big difference between them.
- the third lap of the video is the lap where I lost control of the car (min 7:20)... To be more specific I made a lot of mistakes at that bend. To start with, I braked to hard on entry to induce a slight oversteer. I wanted to brake on entry (and after that) because the car understeers midcorner and on exit due to the fact that I left the spare wheel + jack + stuff in the trunk. Well, I braked to hard and the car oversteer heavily. From that point I tried to control the slide but I was just a passenger. I fit the gas pedal but nothing happened (could it be my lack of power?), even changed to 3rd gear to have more power but that did not help. Fortunately the car came to a stop. During this entire episode I am really disappointed of the way I moved my hands on the steering wheel (left curves should be taken with the left hand and vice-versa). It clearly shows I am a beginner and there is a lot to improve.

As always any comments are welcomed!
Thanks for watching!
 :drinking:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #442 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:48 pm »
 :congrats:

I'd suggest to leave your hand on a 9:15 position. You will easier be able to compensate (slight)
oversteer (and much faster).
At least from the beginning of this last lap you got hassle with your hands on the steering wheel.

:driver:

If I remember correctly you had an oversteer issue at entry of 'Brünnchen' as well. You might
consider to increase rear camber a bit. What's your current data front and rear?

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #443 on: June 15, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »
Well Holger, the hand position is debatable...
I agree that the normal position is at 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock but styles differ from there on.
I had a rally driver training and rally drives have a different style than track drives. My hand movement over the steering wheel is more like this:

As you can see there is a lot of movement.
This is the style I am aiming at (because I think this is well suited to road and track).

The oversteer happened only because I provoked it.
At Nurburgring I was going to fast on rain and that is the reason of the oversteer.
But to answer your question I have 2 degrees negative camber and 0.05 degrees toe in.

Thank you for your advice, my friend!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #444 on: June 15, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
I agree that the normal position is at 9 o'clock and at 3 o'clock but styles differ from there on.
I had a rally driver training and rally drives have a different style than track drives. My hand movement over the steering wheel is more like this:

I know, mate.  :wink: Rally drivers need way more steering angle.

Some say they even don't know to deal with GRIP.  :grin:

Tommi Mäkinen is a world class driver. He varies steering position but never get's in hassle.
Surely hard to do it the same way. For track driving I'd still strongly recommend the classic
position.

Don't get me wrong - you have to find your own style - I just think it's much easier that way.

:wink:

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #445 on: June 15, 2012, 10:11:36 pm »
Also remember that smooth driving doesn't appear to be fast.

Fish

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2012, 09:24:05 am »
I know, mate.  :wink: Rally drivers need way more steering angle.

Some say they even don't know to deal with GRIP.  :grin:

Tommi Mäkinen is a world class driver. He varies steering position but never get's in hassle.
Surely hard to do it the same way. For track driving I'd still strongly recommend the classic
position.

Don't get me wrong - you have to find your own style - I just think it's much easier that way.

:wink:
I agree completely.
The only reason I am trying the "rally driver style" is because practice makes perfect. And the track is the best place to practice.

Also remember that smooth driving doesn't appear to be fast.

Fish
Cheers mate! I know  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »
Just watched that part of the video several times and at that kind of corner I would trail brake into it and press slightly harder to induce oversteer if needed. There's not much wrong with your driving style at all looking at the rest of the laps. I think in this case it was just too hard a prod on the brakes just a little too late into the corner. More power could have helped you out of it and looking back a few seconds taking the corner in the same gear as the previous one, rather than gearing up could have helped with that power without losing you any time, but it is hard to tell what revs you are at just by the sound. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #448 on: June 17, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »
That's exactly what happened Hurdy. Too hard on the brakes and too late.
3rd gear helps but I was trying to avoid the missfire issues by going into a higher gear sooner (I would change gears at 6000 RPM instead of 6300 RPM before the missfire issues).
Also in this case left foot braking would help but the pedals are not positioned ok. From what I saw, for RHD Golf's the pedals are in the middle (I might be mistaking) but for LHD Golf's the pedals are far to the right. This is making it impossible to use the left foot on the brake and not hit the steering column or have an awkward position.

And since I mentions the missfire issues, I had a oscilloscope test and it appears I have some mechanical issues. Not sure what they are because I could not mount the osscilospcope on the intake of the car.
But, one cilinder looks to be worse than the others at some points (95-100% for 3 cylinders and 75%, at times, for the 4th one). The crank shaft is ok. I will continue with the tests.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57:52 pm »
If you have mechanical issues you'd be best sorting them before the next trackday. Altering your driving style/gearing points can make the car handle slightly differently to normal and you end up making mistakes by having the differences.

Fingers crossed that you sort the cylinder 4 issue out. Some guys on SeatCupranet also have problems with cylinder 4 too. The theory floating about at the moment is that it is not getting the full fuel rail pressure to the injector that the others get due to it's position. Not personally fully onboard with it in practice, but there could be something in it I guess.
Golf R gone.