Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317630 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #495 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »
....You shouldn't judge others by your own actions, John!  :laugh:
Ha ha  :grin:...

So Rex, what are you going to do?
Well, honesty I have to spend the money on something different than the car so I have no idea...
If, after this try, I can make the engine work ok and also be reliable I would stick to this engine. If I can not do that I will look for other ways...
The problem in Romania is that making the engine swap (to 2.0 TFSI) legally is very costly and time and energy consuming. By contrast, a twincharge is much, much simpler... If I keep the current engine block it is not even necessary.
So if I can make this engine reliable it will stay on the car for a long time (or until I will get another daily drive and keep this car only for trackdays).

Any plans on replacing the twincharge on the Polo with a 2.5 TFSI one (and selling the twin charge)?  :innocent:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #496 on: September 01, 2012, 01:03:27 am »
Basically the oil is entering the combustion chamber either from the bottom or from the top. I will have some new cylinder seals and check the cylinder head once more to eliminate the problem.
I opened up the engine to eliminate a small missfire issue and ran into a lot of problems  :sad1:. A new engine is starting to make sense (twincharge or 2.0 TFSI)...
Hopefully everything will be ok and I will be able to visit Nurburging and Hungaroring in October.

Ouch !! Hope it'll end soon and not too costly.

All the best for you, mate !!   :happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #497 on: September 01, 2012, 07:29:29 am »
Any plans on replacing the twincharge on the Polo with a 2.5 TFSI one (and selling the twin charge)?  :innocent:

I haven't got the Polo GTI anymore Rex. :innocent:

Traded it in and bought a low mileage Golf .:R DSG  :evilgrin:

Golf R gone.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #498 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:30 am »
Ouch !! Hope it'll end soon and not too costly.

All the best for you, mate !!   :happy2:
Thank you Holger!  :drinking:

Sorry Hurdy, I seem to have missed the part where you traded in the Polo...

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #499 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »

That doesn't matter, Hurdy. Rex will also accept your R engine.  :signLOL:

To be more seriously:

Getting ED30/S3/Cupra engine and gearbox is simply a budget question.
A AXX or BWA would be much cheaper but regarding future plans a K04
engine would be the wisest decision.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #500 on: September 01, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »
Sorry Hurdy, I seem to have missed the part where you traded in the Polo...

No worries Rex I'm sure you'll see plenty of the .:R in due course.

I agree with The Bruce - get a K04 engine in that engine bay ASAP, you'll not regret it.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:30 pm »
Sunset Red (6K6K) will stay up to date, mate. It's still available on the Mk.VII.

:wink:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #502 on: September 08, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »
Getting ED30/S3/Cupra engine and gearbox is simply a budget question.
A AXX or BWA would be much cheaper but regarding future plans a K04
engine would be the wisest decision.
You are right, my friend!

I agree with The Bruce - get a K04 engine in that engine bay ASAP, you'll not regret it.  :happy2:
I am sure I won't. It's just that this car is my daily drive and I do not have much time to scout for the engine and to install it.

Sunset Red (6K6K) will stay up to date, mate. It's still available on the Mk.VII.
I am really, really happy for the future owners. I absolutely love this color (I might be subjective though).
But the down side is that there will me many more sunset red's on the road  :sad1:.

And an update on the car's status...
This time with the removal of the cylinder head, I decided to have the entire engine investigated...
I decided to change the piston rings (I hope this is the English name, these rings are attached to the piston and lubricate the cylinder, create compression and, then removes the oil from the cylinder sides).
Once the mechanic removed the pistons he found some issues with the roller bearing:

So, another part that needs changing...
Then, I heard from the mechanic that was in charge of fixing the cylinder head. And the news weren't good...
First of all, he told me that without proper valve guides, the engine would not be ok and that by making some valve guides (like we previously did) would be in vain. The problem would reaper... So, I searched hi and low for valve guides that were made for my engine and did not require machining. Fortunately I found the valve guides I was looking for!  :pomppomp:
Well, that was before the valve guides arrived, that it.... When they arrived, the new guide lines were 3mm shorter than the OEM ones.

The mechanic said that this did not matter very much and that the valve guides might be ok. But, the valves had signs of wear and there was some gap between the valves and even the newly bough valve guides (the interior diameter was the same with the new valve guides). So the valves also had to be changed....  :sad1:
In total, on the cylinder head I had to change:
- valves
- valve guides
- valve seals
- roller cam followers
So, I was forced to go for a new cylinder head all together (1500+ EURO). At least, this way I can be sure the guides, valves, etc are ok. The new cylinder head will arrive Monday and after putting the parts together I hope not to have engine problems for at least 2 years or 1500+ miles on the track.
Unfortunately this hole episode was quite expensive and, financially speaking, I might have been better of with an engine swap. I did not find an engine fast enough and I really need this car asap because it is my daily drive. I also want to make the Nurburgring and Hungaroring October trips and I can't make them without an engine. I needed time to buy the new engine, to fit it, to make a few thousand miles with it before going to Nurburgring. This was impossible so I chose the more expensive and less powerful alternative. I hope to buy another daily drive sometime next year so, if engine problems reappear, to be able to make the engine swap easier and under no time pressure.

All the best!  :drinking:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #503 on: September 08, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »
What do you mean by roller bearing ? Those are the rod bearings and yes, I had the same problem 3 years ago so you need better ones. This is what I bought and holds just fine after 30.000km (all track days have been done in this interval, not on the first 80.000km) > http://www.intengineering.com/4-cylinder-vw-calico-coated-race-rod-bearing-set.html Unfortunately, Integrated don't do them for your engine so maybe you should talk to them. The bearings are made by ACL and coated by Calico !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #504 on: September 15, 2012, 04:44:49 pm »
Yes, I was talking about rod bearings (I write roller bearings because I thought that was the English name for it   :ashamed:)....
At the moment I will go with OEM rod bearings...

And to continue the story, I got this on Monday:

It was actually cheaper to buy a new cylinder head with all bits and parts attached to it than to buy the bits I needed separately and trade my old cylinder head...
Even if the picture tells another story, I did not trade my old cylinder head:

So, now I have a spare cylinder head  :grin:...
By Wednesday the car was up and running but by Friday I discovered some leaks (oil and coolant) and took the car back to the mechanic. Looks like he made a few mistakes by not tightening the bolts properly on a coolant duct and on the timing belt cover. Hopefully the car will be in my possession on Monday. Fingers crossed!

All the best!  :driver:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:54:42 pm by rex »

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #505 on: September 15, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2012, 06:11:03 pm »
Well guys, I guess I am not the lucky type...
The weird engine noise was still there so I took the car to a Audi/VW engineer who took the engine appart once more.
He notices wear marks on the crank shaft at cylinders 2 and 4 and on the cylinder walls:

The wear on the cylinder walls was quite big (from that the mechanic told me the allowed limit is 0.08 and I had 0.2x).

But, the masterpiece was the piston no. 4... Here is a photo with piston no. 3 and no. 4:

And here are the closeups from piston no. 3 and no. 4. The wear on piston no. 4 is very, very big  :sad1:.

I am really pissed of on my previous mechanic because he should have noticed these things when we took the engine apart. I would have been in the same situation but with 2500 EURO in my pocket  :mad:...

So I had/still have 2 choices:
1. re-machine the crank shaft, the cylinders and buy new pistons
2. buy another engine (because VW won't let me buy only the crank shaft and engine block unless I trade in my original engine and pay 5000 EURO)...

Because the first choice was more expensive, more time consuming and not quite safe, I chose to go for another engine (still working on this).

So... I am now searching for another engine (1.4 TFSI or 2.0 TFSI).
The problem with 2.0 TFSI is that I have to find the engine, the gear box, the wiring, the ECU, the air filter, the battery, the FMIC, etc. So I have to buy a wreak and take all the parts of it to complete the engine swap. At the moment this solution is not the first on my list just because of the complexity and duration of the job.
Now, I am mostly looking for a complete 1.4 TFSI (CAX) engine (turbo, injectors not necessary).

I found some interesting engines in the UK but delivery is around 250 GBP so I am looking for alternative solutions.
This is the most interesting engine I found so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-1-4-TSI-Used-Petrol-Engine-For-Sale-CAX-Motor-Moteur-/170738033196?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c0c7a22c
Has any of you bought anything of these guys? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!
All the best!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »
I am really pissed of on my previous mechanic because he should have noticed these things when we took the engine apart. I would have been in the same situation but with 2500 EURO in my pocket  :mad:...

I really sympathise with you after you spent all the money.  :confused:
I still think looking for an accident GTI is the best solution in the long run.
A new 1.4 TSI will be just be a new one, but still not as reliable as a BWA
or even as a BYD. And probably not reliable enough for you.

What we can learn from your desolate issues: The smaller 1.4 TSI is no
proper engine to remap and no proper engine to track. Sorry to be that
honest, mate.

:wink:

Offline xht20

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email

Offline fab5freddy