Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317520 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TFSI GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #525 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:03 am »
From what I read, the twincharge engine is 40kg heavier than the simple charge one (quite a big difference)....

Bloomin' 'eck!

That would be nearly 80kg weight difference by adding the 2.0  CDL block!!! That is a LOT! :surprised:

Golf R gone.

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »
Rex....Have I mentioned that your signature pic on the right is EPIC?  :notworthy:
Yes, I think you have :laugh:  :notworthy:

I think your experience is outgrowing the 1.4 Vlad.  If it's financially viable it would be great to see you in the realms of modified 2.0 Tfsi  :driver:
Yes, I would like to, but at the moment I don't have the finances (mostly due to the money already spent with this engine)...

Bloomin' 'eck!

That would be nearly 80kg weight difference by adding the 2.0  CDL block!!! That is a LOT! :surprised:
I know... I also find it hard to believe... I can't find the document where I read this but I will search some more.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #527 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
The engine has been ordered, payed and is on the way... Nothing to do but wait...

In the mean time, though...
During my last year's Nurburgring trip I noticed what I had to do with the car:
- wider fenders
- racing seats
- 4/5/6 point harness
- rollcage/rollbar
Well, all there are done but I had to have this year's Nurburgring trip without the car because of the engine problems  :sad1:.

So, here is a short review of the 2012 Nurburging trip (12-16th of October). I will write this review over here even though it has nothing to do with my car because, for the future trips it is easier to make comparisons when all the reviews/comments are all in one place.
Well, this was a pretty strange trip for me because I did not have the same emotions as last year. I might becoming more accustomed to Nurburgring or I am just getting more unconscious of the risks... This year I only did 13 laps. I had one lap of the VLN track (Sprint Strecke and Nordschleife) with my friends Golf 2.0 TDI (similar setup as mine) and 12 laps of the Nordschleife on a rental Suzuki Swift Sport.
My friend let me drive his car because I wanted to go on the Sprint Streke. This GP Short Track is very nice but also very challenging with cold tires.  :evilgrin:
And, as I said, the other 12 laps were done in a Suzuki Shift Sport. The very first ones were very demanding... The car was all over the track because of the cold weather (4 degrees), the wet track and the cold semislick tires (Yokohama Ad08). The rest of the laps were quite a lot of fun but I had no traffic free laps so no great times to brag about...
When comparing to my car, the Suzuki Swift Sport was a little bit faster in a straight line but it had a lot of body roll. Also the ESP could not be turned off (but after about a half a lap the ESP would come completely off). I would advise anyone who wants to rent a car on the Nurburgring to go for the Swift (either from Rent4Ring where they have really fast Suzuki's or from RentRaceCar where I went because the others were all reserved). I rented a GTI in 2009 and the Swift is much more fun (slower though)...
Here are some video taken from this trip:

A few interesting things about this one:
- 2:58 - a poorly signaled accident after a blind curve taken with ~100 mph (before Adenauer Forst); it is not very well visible on the video but I had some problems keeping the line while decelerating
- 4:44 - I overtake a Passat CC but it is a risky maneuver because I try to keep momentum.
- 7:10 - I overtake a Clio RS but I am a little bit excited in Hohe Acht
- 7:38 - I overtake another Clio RS in Eschbach but, because of the line and the speed I am at the limit (as you can see and hear). I really liked this curve...
- 7:55 - I overtake a Mondeo in Brunnchen (like my friend told me, I tend to make risky maneuvers)
Besides that, as I said, you can hear how close I am to the edge because the Yokohama Ad08 tires are very noisy at the limit.

And another one:

This is a faster lap than the previous one but I am really slowed down before Adenauer Forst (2:50) where a Series 1 M is being towed. The only risky part (except always pushing the car) is when I overtake a Subaru Impreza that was very slow to move to the right side (again the problem with being too aggressive when overtaking).

And a few photos with my friends car and me:

And a few photos with the car in action (the body roll is quite visible):

All comments are welcomed!  :drinking:
Thanks for watching!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:01:32 pm by rex »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2012, 06:32:43 am »
Sorry I couldn't join you guys...hope to be there next time :) The Swift sounds quite nice and I agree one doesn't need more until he learns the track !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »
..hope to be there next time :)

+1 !!  :drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2012, 12:27:38 pm »
The engine has arrived:

It is a stock 1.4 TSI (CAXA) engine. The seller (http://torqueengines.co.uk/) says the engine only has 7411 miles but there's no way of telling if that is the truth...
Hope it all comes together soon and well.  :driver:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:13 pm »
Will you keep your ECU (including the aftermarket software) ?

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:38 am »
Yes, of course... No reason to change it...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »
^^^^
Glad to see you back on the path to enjoying your car again, rex  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #534 on: November 01, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »
Thant you RR, but the path is very, very long...

I installed the new engine (it needed some minor parts because even thought it is also a CAXA engine it is not 100% like mine) but I have missfire issues on cylinders 2 and 3 with 10-30% load. I can duplicate the problems by reving the car to 2500 RPM and remaining at that level. The engine is ok and it is functioning ok under boost...
The injectors, coils and sparks have been changed between each other and the missfire remains on cylinders 2 and 3. Compresion is ok.
I am really desperate for so ideas... Can anyone give me a few hints? Has anyone encountered this?

Thank you!  :notworthy:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #535 on: November 01, 2012, 05:14:16 pm »
Injectors ?

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #536 on: November 01, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »
The injectors, coils and sparks have been changed between each other and the missfire remains on cylinders 2 and 3. Compresion is ok.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #537 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:57 pm »
Any leak somewhere in the intake area? Did you already do a "spray test"?
Guess you did - but to make sure.  :wink:

Any damage on the fuel rail / fuel feed system? Please inspect twice. 

Good luck, mate !!  :drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #538 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:23 pm »
They were all ok.
The problem is that the wheel attached to the crank shaft is different between the 2 engines. This wheel was sending "false" data to the sensors and these were causing the errors...
So there are 3 solutions (still haven't decided what to go for):
- change that wheel (pay for the labor)
- update the ECU - might find problems with other sensors
- buy a new ECU and program it - might find problems with other sensors.
At the moment the first solution is in pole position but I have to give it more thought...

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #539 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:35 am »
Change the wheel for sure. Did you get to weigh the wheels and see the difference ? Why not use the wheel from your old engine ?