Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317557 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #615 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:39 am »
Thank you!
I got the wiper delete from Gecleant.

:drinking:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:13:45 pm by rex »

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #616 on: July 09, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »
Thank you!
I got the wiper delete from Gecleant.

Link isn't working!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #617 on: July 09, 2013, 03:14:37 pm »
Fixed it! I had quotes in the link and that is why it was not working.  :drinking:

Offline Yodi

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #618 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:18 pm »
Just read all of this thread, love it mate and you've put so much work into it.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #619 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »
Thank you! Hope you enjoyed the reading!

In the last days I managed to tint the rear lights...
If you remember the earlier conversation (on the first pages of the thread), I wanted to do something about the rear light but I was not quite sure what. I found out that the cheapest way was to buy some black lacquer and make the rear light look like the R32 (ED30 ones).
So, I bought the lacquer, took the light off

masked them (a very very time consuming job but only if this is done properly can you expect a nice finish)

and painted them in 2 steps. The first time I used to little lacquer and the difference was only barely noticeable. The second time I used all the lacquer and, unfortunately, I still don't have the rear lights as tinted as the R32/ED30 one.
But I like the result, so until I get used to these or decide to buy some now R32/ED30 or OEM LED ones, I will stick to these!

Before:

After:

And a few more photos of the car before leaving for Nurburgring in the morning:

And a new position of the GoPro for the Nurburgring trip (or, if the video rules are relaxed, I might attach the GoPro to the roll bar, as before):

Thanks for watching!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #620 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »
Have a good time Rex.  :driver:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #621 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
Thanks TC!  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »
Time for a Nurburgring trip review... As it was the case with my previous reviews, I will have more posts about this trip because there are a some interesting things to see, some interesting videos to see and it would be a shame to create one huge post.

As I think I said previously, in 2009 when I first visited the famous Green Hell, I made a pact with myself to get there at least once a year. Things have gone my way and I was able to visit Nurburging during all these 5 years...
Each time, the trip was different in one way but I had fun in all of my trips and this was no exception...

Compared to my previous trip with the Golf (last year the engine was being replaced so I had to rent a Swift) this trip was nowhere near as scary. I decided to play it safe and not take to many chances.
Performance wise, I had better brakes, larger fenders, different semislicks and a new interior:
- the brakes were really awesome (Boxster calipers, Pagid RS-29 pads, Brembo J-Hook discs and brake ducts) and flawless. I really had no issues with these and could do much more than 3 laps continuously.
- the fenders did their job and there was no rubbing whatsoever
- the semislicks (medium compound Direzza 03G) were miles better than the previous Khumo v70a. But it is not a fair comparison because the temperatures were completely different.
- the new interior is, I think, heavier than the OEM one but safety was my primary concern. Again, the seats and seat belts are awesome (even for the 1000 miles trip to get to Nurburgring).
- the engine was ok but I was really really slow on the full throttle parts of the track and that got me in some trouble... Because of the hot weather, the engine would overheat so I had to do only 2-3 laps in a row.
- the suspension was great. I set it to 9 (front) and 6 (back) and, even though it was not quite on my taste, I did not want to try different setups during this trip. Maybe next year...

Enough of the technical stuff, lets talk about the trip as a whole...
This is the second year I go with a friend of mine, Stefan. He has the blue Golf you will see in the pictures below. His car is a 2.0 TDI (140bhp) with a remap and similar mods to mine (Bilsteing B16, TT arms, bigger brakes, semislicks). Our goal was to have fun and get back home in one piece and as a bonus get below 9 minutes BTG. Being Touristfahrten this was not a must because we knew there will be a lot of traffic and it was not safe to push that hard. We planed for 25 laps each during 2 full days of touristfahrten and 1 day with the track opened for 2 hours. During the first day we've done some warm up laps and we were stunned when we saw that we got to 9.04 without taking any chances (the track was empty during these warmup laps).
The next days, there was a different story though... There were a lot of people on the track and the track was closed for a number of times because of the crashes. And we had a lot of problems with Porsche drivers that didn't want to get out of the way  :fighting: . They probably hate to see Golfs get past them   :innocent:... Also had some problems with the bikers who think the circuit is all theirs and they never check their mirrors.
But all in all everything was ok...

As far as my driving goes, I was a little bit scared and I took no chances. I only had issued because of my stupidity and nothing to do with going fast. For example:
- I never hold a car behind me. My philosophy is that if a car gets behind me, he is faster and I let him pass. Because of this I would even let cars get passed  on dangerous pars of the track. For example before Fuchsrohre I wanted to let a Porsche pass and I went over the kerbs. The car unsettled (I was doing about 100 mph) and I almost lost control. I should have waited and let the Porsche pass on the next bend...
- I was scared of pushing the brakes to hard with the wheels turned so I used to brake to to little to late. I corrected this error and I decided to use the brakes at 100% and have different lines even if I was not using all of the tracks width.
- I sometimes got over or, even worse, braked on kerbs!
I tried to fix these mistakes and if I did not manage to do that at least I know where I have to work some more.
As far as the laptimes are concern, am I pretty happy with the results. I managed 6 or 7 laps below 9 minutes. I had 8.59, 8.58, 8.57 and the best time of 8.55.9 (I will say 8.56). This is not bad for my standards (please don't forget this is a 160bhp Golf and it weighs 1370kg with the driver), also considering I took almost no chances and that there were no laps without traffic.

The video will be in another post and for now here are some photos:

To be continued...
Thanks for watching!

P.S. Sorry for the long post!  :drinking:

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »
looking good.. what cage have you got
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #624 on: July 18, 2013, 06:07:30 am »
Thanks! I've got the Wiechers Sport roll bars.
When looking for the cage, I found some UK companies that were selling roll bars at 1500 GBP and the Wiechers Sport that were 500 EURO.
I am not sure there is a difference in the design or material used but there sure is a difference in the cost!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:33:27 pm by rex »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #625 on: July 18, 2013, 07:32:45 am »

Great post Vlad :happy2:

anorganix

« Reply #626 on: July 18, 2013, 07:52:43 am »
Hey mate,

Happy to see you keeping your promises and visiting the Ring yearly.  :happy2:
Congrats for the times, I bet you and Stefan had a blast! I can't wait to meet with him and talk more about your trip.

the brakes were really awesome
I bet they were! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they get "killed" more on Hungaro, since N-ring is a speed-track and allows better cooling.

Because of the hot weather, the engine would overheat
Maybe go with fuscobal's approach? (hot climate rad)

Apart from that, eagerly waiting for more posts & vids!  :pomppomp:
Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:54:41 am by anorganix »

• Thank You
« Reply #627 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »
Thanks! I've got the Wiechers Sport roll bars.
When looking for the cage, I found some UK companies that were selling roll bars at 1500 GBP and the Wiechers Sport that were 500 EURO.
I am not sure there is a difference in the design or material used but there sure is a difference in the cost!

thankyou do you have any pics of yours inside with the bars? havent got around to reading your build thread properly im sure there are some pics but dont have the time tonight to read everything lol
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

• Thank You
« Reply #628 on: July 18, 2013, 08:32:26 pm »
found the pics mate looks good
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »
Great post Vlad :happy2:
Thanks Mike!

Hey mate,

Happy to see you keeping your promises and visiting the Ring yearly.  :happy2:
Congrats for the times, I bet you and Stefan had a blast! I can't wait to meet with him and talk more about your trip.

the brakes were really awesome
I bet they were! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they get "killed" more on Hungaro, since N-ring is a speed-track and allows better cooling.

Because of the hot weather, the engine would overheat
Maybe go with fuscobal's approach? (hot climate rad)

Apart from that, eagerly waiting for more posts & vids!  :pomppomp:
Cheers!

Thank you very much, my friend!
Yes, the brakes are used much more at Hungaoriring but, at Nurburgring there is some high speed braking...
Well, my engine is quite different to yours. I have the water cooled intercooler and putting FMIC is not a very neat solution. The engine did not suffer form overheating but from the warm ambient temperature.
And I can never give up the AC...

found the pics mate looks good
Great! I think I have some more photos here somewhere so if those are not enough please send me a PM and tell me what other pictures to send and your email address!

Thanks for all your comments, guys!  :drinking: