Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 317548 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #645 on: August 19, 2013, 06:12:59 am »
Thanks, my friend!
Great idea  :happy2:. Not sure I have the money at the moment but I will keep that link  :notworthy:!

Offline circoloco

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re:
« Reply #646 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »
Can remember and i'm on the phone. Pretty hard to search. Why did you change the engine?

I'm changeing my 1.4tsi 180hp engine too. Only 30k km and at 170km/h 3 pistons (2nd, 3rd and 4th) were burned and destroyed :). VW sad that were a few problems with the producer of the pistons and now they changed him. Hope we will be ok from now one

Sent from my măr

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #647 on: September 22, 2013, 12:11:03 am »
Sounds like bullsh*t for me. Your car is OEM and you weren't even at WOT so the car should have been quite far from piston's limits. I suspect your failure had to do with how the mixture is burnt. Somehow temps increased drastically inside your engine so the pistons got melted !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #648 on: September 23, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »
Can remember and i'm on the phone. Pretty hard to search. Why did you change the engine?

I'm changeing my 1.4tsi 180hp engine too. Only 30k km and at 170km/h 3 pistons (2nd, 3rd and 4th) were burned and destroyed :). VW sad that were a few problems with the producer of the pistons and now they changed him. Hope we will be ok from now one

Hello, my friend and sorry, for only now did I see your post!
I heard what happened to you (fuscobal told me, since I don't have the vwforum account anymore) and it is such a shame... Do you happen to have some photos of the pistons?

I changed my engine because the no. 3 piston was rubbing against the cylinder sleeve (I hope it is the correct English term). My guess is that it was due to the mechanics stupidity and nothing to do with real mechanical failure. When I changed the engine I had about 73k km, 55 of which were with the Revo software and about 3000km on track. And, unlike the more powerful, cars around here, I am going most of the time full throttle (because of my low bhp and great grip). If you think that the engine is not really made to cope with all this tracking I am pleased I lasted for so long.
I installed a MK6 TSI CAXA engine and so far so good. Wonder how much this will last... After that, if I have the money, I hope a 2.0 TFSI is the next engine for my car...

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #649 on: October 12, 2013, 09:46:45 pm »
Last week I had the last trackday for this year at Hungaroring. There are many things I want to share with you, so here is a review of that trip...
Before the trip I was watching the weather (it snowed in Romania 2 days before the track day in Hungary) and I must say we were lucky because it was sunny. But it was very cold... In the morning there were 2 degrees and in the afternoon it got to 12-13... This had a severe impact on the cars handling and power. During the first session I felt like I was on ice. The car was very, very unpredictable and I must say I was quite scared. The brakes were also rubbish because of the cold tires that had no grip. The only positive thing was the power output. I've never seen the car pull so hard. Compared to my friend Stefan (mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI with a remap) I was faster on the straight line and even with a passenger in my car he still couldn't get closer to me on the straights (in spring we was faster than me).
The tires didn't get to temperature until the last laps of the second session. And after that I still had the felling the car was unpredictable and would oversteer without a warning. It was really strange considering I haven't done any mods since spring... I managed to regain control of the car on a number of occasions but I lost control of the car on three occasions. On two occasions I saw that I could not control the slide so I hit the brake pedal and the car just did a Tet-a-queue. I will speak about the 3rd case on another post.
Incredibly, I got to improve my time by 0.08 and now I got to 2:21.60 (even a bit below that). I say incredibly because I had about 4 laps (during the 5 sessions I've completed) without traffic and the best lap (best 2 laps) were in the second session when the tires have just came up to temperature but the car was still a little bit loose because of the cold tarmac and I did not push so hard. I was really, really surprised.

This trip we were quite a big gang... The cars from our group were:

Renault Sport R26 F1, VW Golf 2.0 TDI, Stage 3 TTRS, BMW 335i Performance, BMW 335i MSport, Civic FN2 Type R Championship White, my 1.4 TSI Golf and a 2.0 TFSI Stage 2 A3.
Guess who had the best time?
Nope, it wasn't the TTRS because, even if he had the fastest car in a straight line, the tires were rubbish and the driver didn't push so hard. The fastest car was the A3! He's got Stage 2 Revo Software, semislicks, TT hubs front&back, APRacing brakes, LSD, etc. It is a very fast and balanced car. You can see this car in a video below (I tried to stay with him on a fast lap, in the twisty part of the track).

A few pictures of my car 'in action':

The fastest lap (the film is rubbish because I had the GoPro facing downwards and the focus is on the interior of the car, even if I had the Spot Metering ON):

And the session when I had a friend (Alex with the BMW 335i MSport) as a passenger (again I had issues with overexposure) is below. He was really amassed with the brakes and suspension...
In this session I try to stay with Silviu, the A3 driver but I really can't. He is about 6-7 seconds faster than me on Hungaroring (2.15 vs 2.21).
I almost lose control of the car in this video also @ 6:14.
And the second part of the video is the same session filmed from Stefan's car (mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI):

All comments are welcomed!
Thanks for watching!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2013, 10:15:23 pm »
Great update . Nice to read that the car is being enjoyed still!  :party:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #651 on: October 13, 2013, 08:54:26 am »
Happy for you my friend and hopefully will be able to join you next time !

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2013, 03:19:56 pm »
Great update . Nice to read that the car is being enjoyed still!  :party:

Thanks! The car will be 6 years old this November and I enjoy it more and more.
As I previously said, I wanted to keep the car for 4 years but now, after 6 years, I don't plan on selling it. This car really suites me and my needs.

Happy for you my friend and hopefully will be able to join you next time !

Hopefully so!

:drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #653 on: October 14, 2013, 07:18:02 pm »
And now for the hard part...
As I said 2 post before, during the last Hungaroring trip the car was all over the place and I lost control of the car on three occasions. Twice I managed to turn the car 180 degrees and stop it but once I did not. This is the story about that case...
It was the last session of the day and the last or second to last lap. Since I had a lot of traffic during the previous sessions and because I really wanted to go as hard as I could, I pushed hard even in this closing session (I never ever push hard in the first or last session). So now I was on a fast lap and there was a car in front. I was in "racing mode" (aka stupid mode) and I thought the Peugeot left the racing line open for me to pass. Once I got mid corner I realized the Peugeot was still committed and I realized our lines will intersect (I was at the cars limit and my line would take me to the outside of the corner, into the Peugeot). So I decided to release the gas pedal (that corner is flat out) and immediately the car severely oversteered. I tried to control it, that I tried to brake but none of these actions prevented me from fitting the barrier.  :sad1:
Considering the fact that I lost control of the car at ~130km/h (~80 mph) I can consider myself fortunate the car only had the following damages:

And I also have a rear hub and TD Pro Race 1.2 rim damaged (I have to see how bad the rim was damaged).
In the end I am fortunate I could drive the car back home.
Really happy I was untouched!

I am posting the video so that other people may learn from my mistakes:

I know I've been reckless and I am ashamed of my driving. I think I should only drive like that when I am alone on the track and not close to other cars. So shame on me  :sad1:!
When there are slower cars in front, I sometimes push harder because the only way I am going to pass them is on/after the corners. I have no chances of passing cars in the straight lines (with very few exceptions). But this is not an excuse.
I hope I learned my lesson and I hope none of you will repeat my mistake!

P.S. After the crash I asked the officials to give me a paper saying I crashed the car at Hungaoring so that I would not have problems with the police in Hungary, Romania or when crossing the border. I ended up in the F1 Control Room where the manager was. I got to see what view they had (32 cameras around the track) and I got to see my accident from one of those cameras. It was pretty unspectacular, just like any other crash you seen on TV when racing....

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #654 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:27 am »
It's a shame that happened...damage is not that bad considering what I'm seeing on the video. I'm keeping my opinion that something's wrong with your car's balance (F/R weight ratio, geometry, B16 settings...) !

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #655 on: October 16, 2013, 12:01:30 pm »
Sucks about the damage, I feel for you :sad1:

But the car looks beautiful, I'm sure it'll look even better with some fresh paint on that quarter :happy2:

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #656 on: October 16, 2013, 07:32:52 pm »
It's a shame that happened...damage is not that bad considering what I'm seeing on the video. I'm keeping my opinion that something's wrong with your car's balance (F/R weight ratio, geometry, B16 settings...) !

Yes, the damage is quite light. I am very fortunate about it.
Thanks for you input but I am maintaining my point of view: the cars balance is just right (on my taste) and my stupidity alone caused the accident. I should not have gone on the inside of that car...

Sucks about the damage, I feel for you :sad1:

But the car looks beautiful, I'm sure it'll look even better with some fresh paint on that quarter :happy2:

Thank you! The car is in service right now and I will have a full respray. I had some previous minor scratches and now, with the accident, the whole car will get some new paint.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #657 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:46 pm »
Every time we take our cars on track we learn something it is a big part of why we enjoy driving. Sometimes those lessons are painful but we are still learning.   :happy2:

I have a set of rules that I try my utmost not to break. I remind myself of these on the way to the track and every Time I strap my self in the car.  My main rule is to remind myself constantly of my limitations and not forget where my talent runs out. It takes discipline  as I know I could be a lot faster.

You need to stop being so tough on yourself, you only made a mistake of judgement.  :drinking:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #658 on: October 17, 2013, 07:06:45 am »
You're right TC!
I like to push harder and sometimes my skills run out because we always have to push our limits if we want to improve.
I am being a little bit tough on myself because this way I hope to never do the same mistakes again. And I also hope nobody reading this will do any of my mistakes.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #659 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:11 am »
Well, it did look a bit of a daft place to overtake. But the main thing is you are not injured and your car isn't that badly damaged.  :happy2: