Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car  (Read 321041 times)

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
Re: Sunset Red 1.4 TSI(TFSI) GT Sport - daily drive & track car
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2015, 09:41:48 pm »
Congrats Vlad looking spot on!
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #841 on: April 03, 2015, 10:42:30 pm »
A lot of work involved but finally you can get your SPS Revo Box!  :party:

Big congrats! :congrats: a

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #842 on: April 04, 2015, 06:54:14 pm »
Thank you very much, guys!  :notworthy:
I know the MFSW is not a big mod, but I enjoy even the smallest of mods. This is the reason I write even about the smallest of mods  :smiley:.

There is a joke going right now: Some things Norway and Romania have in common: nice girls, stunning landscapes and skiing for Easter.
So during a snow storm I decided to switch the winter tires with summer tires.
I also needed to change the brake pads. I went for Pagid Yellow RS29 just like the previous ones. During this switch I noticed something unusual:

It appears that the dust seal is broken. So it appears that the Porsche calipers need a refurb. I will contact DaveB and see what he thinks...

One question: is it ok if I go to the next track day with the seals broken?
I managed to put the seals in so that they will not protrude so much:

Here is the old pad vs the new one:

I noticed that the inner pad is darker so the heat is bigger on the inside even if I have the brake ducts.
I might just through the dust shields if I have another idea for mounting the brake ducts.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #843 on: April 24, 2015, 07:08:02 pm »
While I am waiting for parts to arrive, I always like to watch some of my older videos. I think the absolute lap time is not relevant and I think all that maters are the experience and the videos.
Lately a lot of people, when they see my car, ask me solely about the bhp as if nothing else matters. This is one video I want to share (again) that says differently...

Some 50 pages back and almost 4 years to the day I visited the Hungarian capital and its F1 Race Track. I went with a couple of my friends: Adrian with a 534 bhp S3 (with a lower bhp setup around 420bhp) and Vlad with a 413bhp Polo GTI (with a lower setup at around 300 bhp and ~380hhp on the long straight).
Vlad is close to my driving skills so I think that does not play a significant part. The Polo had semislicks, TA Technic suspension, stock brakes with a little improvement due to the racing brake liquid and updated pads. Even with that amount of power, he was 1 second slower than I was so POWER ISN'T EVERYTHING  :happy2:.

A few comments:
- first of all, everybody was amassed to see the Polo gaining ground from the GTR on the straight (the GTR's passenger started clapping his hands when he saw the Polo gaining ground  :happy2:). You can see these 2 cars side by side in the video but not much else about this 'dogfight'. Unfortunately the Polo due to the Polo's setup this battle was lost from the beginning (the S3 however has faster than that GTR)
- I am following Vlad in his Polo GTI trying to see how my car measures up against his car  :jumping:. You can see the HUGE difference in power on the straights. On the bends however it's another story. I was about 1-2 sec faster per lap than the Polo GTI but I could have never overtaken him because I just wasn't close enough when it was time to brake. But fortunately Vlad let me overtake him so I was free to try some hot laps.
- my car had a similar setup to the current one, I changed the brake pads, the seats and the tires (different brand semislicks). Other than that it is the same.
- compared to my current best lap, at the time this video was taken, I was about 1.8 seconds slower.
- 4 years ago 640x480 resolution was ok but now it is far from that. Sorry for the video resolution!

Any ideas?

P.S. My advice for anybody who wants to modify the car: firstly, upgrade the brakes!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #844 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:03 pm »
Power is nothing without control and discipline... :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #845 on: April 25, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »

Wish I could watch the video.  Internet connection here is so poor!  Love this thread!  I have thrown so much money and so many great parts at my car, making it a great package but I still have lots of developing & experience to gain before I could do it any justice!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #846 on: April 25, 2015, 04:02:49 pm »
Thank you guys!  :notworthy:

Well Mike, you should come to Romania since we are known for having excellent internet connection.  :grin:
Of course, you should come as a visitor, not work related (there is a joke going around: Visit Rusia, before Rusia visits you. By the way things are going in the region I hope it is just a joke.)
I think I was lucky to buy a slow car so I might not have had the pressure you guys had to go fast. I always was an underdog so I could only come on top.

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #847 on: April 26, 2015, 12:33:39 am »
I'm coming to Romania (again) at the end of May. I love it there. If not just to see all the Dacia's!!!!

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #848 on: May 14, 2015, 08:04:16 am »
Well, as you all know, the MFSW mod was done to accommodate the Revo SPS Pro. I received it last week and installed it the same day:

I haven't really had time to play with it but it is a great kit:
- you can follow a number of parameters (up to 140), the most useful for me are: speed, battery voltage, oil temperature. I didn't go though all the list of parameters but it looks like I can see the boost, the intake temperatures, the missfires and, I think all the information provided by Polar FIS or Fiscon E-MFA.
- you can change the software parameters. I can change the software to Stock, Performance A, etc... For 2.0 TFSI engines, each Performance menu has customizable parameters (not for me) Unfortunately, I can't do this with the engine running.
- other functionalities like stopwatch, comfort menu, etc (I didn't have time to play with those yet).

All in all a great bit of kit, I am really glad of this mod!  :happy2:
Next up, my first visit to Romania's Motor Park.  :driver:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #849 on: May 14, 2015, 10:14:00 am »
I only have a Polar FIS Adv. as I plan on having my GTI custom mapped by the best national tuner, but that's an awesome piece for who has a Revo tune. :drool:

I have 5 screens at the moment on my Polar FIS. In the 1st one I have these parameters IIRC:
1-Boost pressure (actual)
2-Exhaust temperature
3-Boost pressure (specified)
4-Intake temperature
5-Oil temperature
6-Engine temperature

Don't forget to share videos and/or pictures of your next track experience mate! :notworthy:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #850 on: May 15, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »
Thank you for your comment!

Of course, I will make a proper review of the experience and I will not forget the videos.
About the SPS PRO, I noticed something interesting: I can configure what the MF buttons do  :happy2:. The MFSW for the mk5 doesn't give you the possibility to change the track. But, after I configured the buttons now I can change the track from the steering wheel  :star:.
I think I should make another topic about the SPS PRO since there are a lot of things I want to share.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #851 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »
About the SPS PRO, I noticed something interesting: I can configure what the MF buttons do  :happy2:. The MFSW for the mk5 doesn't give you the possibility to change the track. But, after I configured the buttons now I can change the track from the steering wheel  :star:.
I think I should make another topic about the SPS PRO since there are a lot of things I want to share.
That feature comes with the Polar FIS Adv.. It seems to me that you now basically have a Polar FIS Adv. with a Revo SPS built-in.  :wink:

My MFSW could do that before I had the Polar FIS Adv., so that's something it had to do with coding or version of the steering wheel controller. It can change track, radios, etc.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #852 on: June 23, 2015, 08:57:20 am »
It's been more than a month since the last track day and unfortunately I ran into some problems when editing the videos. It seem that I have a 20s gap for GPS coordinates during my best lap. So it will take some time to recover the missing coordinates. After this I will post the videos.

On another topic, I wrote before about the issues I had about the broken piston seals.
After speaking to DaveB, I decided to change my calipers with some refurbished ones from Brake Caliper Refurbs (BrakeCaliperRefurbs.co.uk).
Here are some pictures:

All in all the brakes are the same, just a little bit shinier  :grin:.
 :drinking:

MOTORSPORT1979

« Reply #853 on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »
hey Vlad, no more news??  :party:

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #854 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:11 pm »
:) Sorry to keep you waiting but it's been a crazy summer because there are a lot of things going on: preparing for my weeding next year, building a house and changing jobs.
I know I owe you guys a review for the Motorparc visit and some interesting photos for the next years calendar  :innocent:.
So stay tuned! It won't take much longer...