Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear EfficientGrip  (Read 2770 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Goodyear EfficientGrip
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:12:45 pm »
Been offered a set of 2x part worn 225/40/18 Goodyear EfficientGrip for a next to nothing price. I need some ready in line for the fronts as mine are currently on 4mm.

My contacts in the tyre trade come up with part worns from time to time - should I take these 2 to put on the front for daily use, or are they awful?
Online reviews don't rave about them tbh  :confused: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip.htm

Thanks
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Goodyear EfficientGrip
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »
Personally? I'd not use them. Tyres wear according to the specific conditions & set up of the car they run on. I don't even rotate front to back or nearside/offside. The rubber will wear according to the 'corner' they are on & swapping will not be the finest way to maximum grip. After all, these four hoops are the sole determinant of roadholding; I may cut corners in other ways but never with rubber. Who knows if a tyre has had a thump or two too many up a kerb. The damage may not be immediately apparent.

Plus I'd want something with more grip :evilgrin:

Maybe I'm over cautious, but I'd rather do that. Just my opinion....
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »
These, if I took them, would replace the fronts that are on 4mm fella? I wouldn't be swapping, just directly replacing with worns, or is that where you meant the swapping comes in i.e. they're from another vehicle?

I use worns purely for cost reasons and I can get some decent brands and tyres at 5-6mm for pennies.
My last tyre purchase were the brand new ContiSport 3's that I've got currently on all four corners  :happy2:

I've used worns in the past and they've always been absolutely fine, be it Pirellis, Michelins or Contis. 90% of the time they're taken off fleet cars so it's almost all motorway miles although obviously they're never perfect.

If the Goodyears are no good (which wouldn't be my preference anyway) I'll pass on them  :happy2:
Pete

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »
Are they the correct speed/ load rating for the car ?

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »
Possibly and probably not Sean. They'll just be 225/40/18s that turn up.

That said, I don't know that the Contis are tbh?  :scared:
Which rating should they be?

Ta.
Pete

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:32:31 am »
Think these tyres came up in another post a while ago and the general trend was that they are designed for low CO2 figures not grip and that might mean they aren't too good at handling 200+ ponies.  But as you say cost does have a huge impact and if your plodding up and down the motorway yourself then it probably doesnt matter provided the load and speed rating is correct.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »
My Conti's are 92Y.

The Goodyears I was offered are 92W allegedly?

Think these tyres came up in another post a while ago and the general trend was that they are designed for low CO2 figures not grip and that might mean they aren't too good at handling 200+ ponies.  But as you say cost does have a huge impact and if your plodding up and down the motorway yourself then it probably doesnt matter provided the load and speed rating is correct.

That's useful, thanks mate.
TBH my driving is very mixed and I could probably do with something a little better grip wise. The other implications are too important really  :smiley:
Pete