Make a donation

Author Topic: 'product enhancement' (recall!) on some mk5 gti's  (Read 117332 times)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: 'product enhancement' (recall!) on some mk5 gti's
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »
How long has the ECU update been a part of the recall? I had my coilpacks changed last year , will they have done the ECU then or will it need doing this year? I didn't ask to get mine done , my dealer told me about it and booked it in to be done without me asking. I remember the MPG seemed poorer on the MFA for a few weeks afterwards , would this be because they wiped the memory while the battery was off?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2012, 04:54:43 pm »
There seems to be a lot of vw dealers that seem reluctant to do any "recalls" on cars

I can't understand why as the parts and labour charges will be covered by vw so they are turning away business because of lazy staff.

I hope anyone that has bad experiences with dealers especially with safety recalls reports it to vw.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #392 on: May 15, 2012, 12:32:23 pm »
Finally got around to ringing my local stealers about this and according to their records the 2 recalls on the car have been done. They referred to the coil pack recall though as an ignition coil recall? Does this make sense?

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #393 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:17 pm »
Finally got around to ringing my local stealers about this and according to their records the 2 recalls on the car have been done. They referred to the coil pack recall though as an ignition coil recall? Does this make sense?

Funnily enough, I did the exact same thing today, and got the exact same response, Ignition coil recall. I assume it's the coil packs :confused:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #394 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:19 pm »
I'm thinking about ringing up a different stealers just to be 100% sure but as the guy checked the system and confirmed both recalls have been completed for my vehicle i'm sure it was the coil packs done last march and it was simply the case of him calling it a slightly different name than we have been referring to it on here.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #395 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:41 pm »
^^^^
It is the coilpacks, Ian. They'll check all which are currently fitted in your car and replace free of charge all those according to version part numbers.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #396 on: May 15, 2012, 12:48:06 pm »
Yep as Robin says, i just rang a different stealers to cross check and they confirmed that it had been done and of course gave the same date that the previous stealers had said  :happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #397 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:42 pm »
^^^^
It is the coilpacks, Ian. They'll check all which are currently fitted in your car and replace free of charge all those according to version part numbers.

Thanks Robin.  :happy2:

Do you need to specify no software upgrades to protect the map? I've heard a few murmers on here about this  :confused:

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline da_ansa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: May 15, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
Just booked mine in on Friday  :happy2:

Happy days

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #399 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »

Thanks Robin.  :happy2:

Do you need to specify no software upgrades to protect the map? I've heard a few murmers on here about this  :confused:

....An official VW software update usually overrides your aftermarket remap and it's wise to have a VW update if your car shows up as being eligible as it may solve important issues or prevent them from happening. Your aftermarket remap isn't lost, it's just 'buried' and will need restoring either by your tuner or a switch (if you have Revo). Tuners are obliged to see proof of purchase if they don't already know you and may charge a nominal fee of ~£25 to cover their time.

To the best of my knowledge VW haven't released a software update for several years on the Mk5 GTI. Your VW dealer's plug-in system should display your individual car's status.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:43 pm »

....An official VW software update usually overrides your aftermarket remap and it's wise to have a VW update if your car shows up as being eligible as it may solve important issues or prevent them from happening. Your aftermarket remap isn't lost, it's just 'buried' and will need restoring either by your tuner or a switch (if you have Revo). Tuners are obliged to see proof of purchase if they don't already know you and may charge a nominal fee of ~£25 to cover their time.

To the best of my knowledge VW haven't released a software update for several years on the Mk5 GTI. Your VW dealer's plug-in system should display your individual car's status.

If VW flash your ECU your map is gone completely not "buried".  :stupid:

For you to get the map back it will need to be flashed by the tuner or agent of the tuner depending on who's map you have. An SPS will be pointless.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #401 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ian, do you know if they can replace the coil packs without flashing the ECU?  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #402 on: May 15, 2012, 04:37:57 pm »

If VW flash your ECU your map is gone completely not "buried".  :stupid:

For you to get the map back it will need to be flashed by the tuner or agent of the tuner depending on who's map you have. An SPS will be pointless.

....Okay, Ian (Hedge) but no need to smiley me as stupid! If the ECU flash destroys the remap then obviously the Revo SPS would be pointless.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:14 pm »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ian, do you know if they can replace the coil packs without flashing the ECU?  :confused:

My local dealer didn't touch the ecu map when they fitted my recall coils, instead the guy took about 1.5hrs to change 4 coils (and put a sticker on the boot floor)!  :stupid: