Make a donation

Author Topic: why i think the mkv gti is something special- r32,GTi,Ed30 Gti  (Read 9182 times)

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
why i think the mkv gti is something special- r32,GTi,Ed30 Gti
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:14 pm »
where to start ? I've had alot of cars but to me the mk5 is something very special, its seems to have the build qaulity / integrity of cars costing alot more, the economy of smaller engined cars, the performance of alot more exspensive machinery, the running costs of a Corsa and the main factor for me, everyday usefullness, it can do anything i shove at it, be it carry 5 people long distances comfortably and safely, fold the seats down and fill it with rubbish for the tip, go to a meeting without looking like a tit or the run of the mill and the most important one, point it down a  B road and forget everything that happens in life, jsut you the car the road ahead and the dust and fumes and bussle of life behind.

I find the mk5 Gti as fun and admiring to look at and drive as a E39 M5, as much fun and chuckability as my old Trophy( well almost  :grin: ) and as much oomph as my old 535d( well if you close your eyes and sort of become VAg biased ! when you rev the 2.0 FSIT !  ).

I started off with a mk5 r32 manual, coming from a E39 M5 it was the right kind of downsizing and the R32 felt like an awesome car to own. But after a few months the running costs of fuel and the fact i could not chuck it around as i hoped meant i was on the look out for something new pretty quickly.  I drove the mk5 Gti at launch and while it did impress but the price and the fact i had an R32 made me think why would i want to downgrade .

After looking at all the competition, i was getting backed into a corner it was either keep the R32 which i didn't want or go back to BMW ( which i dread ) , there was no Audi on the scene so i went back to VW for an extended test drive. 

I've always had a hot hatch from a lowly GTe Astra, Punto sporting, Starlet GT, Ep03 Type R, trophy, Mini Cooper, i find they are the most rewarding cars in everyday situations to drive and own

Drove that weekend in the car and thinking to myself "its a GTi, pffft not a top of the range R32 " but thats when it happend, don't know its because i didn't expect much from the Gti or if i expected too much from the r32.

that weekend i fell in love with the Gti, its a car that grows on you like all the "great cars".

You start of thinking, i've made a terrable mistake, by the end of week one its, "Wow, didn't know it could do that, maybe there is a chance i'll keep it" , end of the month its " What an awesome car puts a smile on my face does that " by the end of month 2 its " if this car ever goes i will cry, can't imagine life without it"

went from a 06 R32 to a 54 GTi, the rest they say is history.  :happy2:  Had a few oil burners inbetween the R32 and Gti but i always end up missing the redline of the ptrol cars and the noise ! had some awesome oilburners too, 330d, 535d, 2.0tdi 140

my lovely GTi had a samsh and was repaired but never the same , hence i went looking for another hot hatch nearly bought a S3 but found it more R32 terratory, ie more laid back driving style, relaxed cruiser, rather than "chuck it around and rag the tits of it hot hatch" What could fill the Gti's place ? ??

The fact i've only kept 3 cars for longer than a year, means the GTi must be something special !!!

enough talking let the pics do the walking ! have some pics somewhere of the tdi i owned for a while, will post when found.

phew !!! thanks for looking and dying of boredom @ my story so far.  :grin:

Raj

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:43:14 am by E30m3 »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: why i think the mkv gti is something special- r32,GTi,Ed30 Gti
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
very very nice, ps look after my future alloys  :laugh:

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:04:52 pm »
few more pics !!  :nerd:   :signIWS:, hopefully the looks of my car shopuld be finished this month !

and again thanks for looking !  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »
Raj you must have petrol coursing through your veins!! And impeccable taste in motors!!  :wink:

Offline tinydave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »

:love: :love: :love:

hopefully my next car :laugh:

06 United Grey Golf G.T.I, Dsg, kw v2 coilovers, r32 rear lights and warm ass heated leather seats
Lowered Closer to Mother Earth!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:37:18 am »
Should I assume that the lack of the rear VW emblem indicates a carbon fibre replacement one is on the books?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:27 am »
Should I assume that the lack of the rear VW emblem indicates a carbon fibre replacement one is on the books?

Last time i heard he was having them sprayed

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:00:16 am »

....He's not on the group buy list for carbonfibre VW badges [now closing this week]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:07 am »
Lovely cars.  8)

In 1997 my dad had a VR6 imported... It was his first new car and it was amazing. At the time my mom drove a Opel Corsa and after a while my dad felt the need to upgrade...

He bought himself a Jetski and after almost drowing the VR6 (Dont ask) the corsa was sold and a 1997 model Pajero was bought. My mom was then given the VR6 (She was terrified of it but soon loved it).

In 2000 we sold the Pajero and bought the new 3.2 litre 3 door Pajero. At this point we strayed off the Vdub line...

In boredom we went to go look at BMW's show room (At this stage the 3 series had just been released) and whilst looking with no intention to buy the owner of the BMW Showroom (One of the largest showrooms in Cape Town) saw the VR6 and refused to let us leave before handing the keys over to him.

So we swapped. The VR6 for a 320i 3 series in blood red... We had that car for 4 or so years and eventually my mom was so sick of the problems and dull driving she begged fpr a new car. But her request was that of a Vdub like the VR6.

We decided the .:R32 was the way to go. We would have to wait two years to get it but it was the plan. Unfortunately VW told us teh .:R would only be available in three door (All lies cos a 5 door was released) and we cancelled and placed an order for a full spec GTi.

8 months later we took delivery and after a year or so of ownership both my parents love the car to bits and refuse to get rid of it. We still have the Pajero and have a Opel Corsa Utility Bakkie/ work horse which is great cos the Pajero is never used (my dad has 5 bikes and he uses them as his daily) and my mom uses the little 1.8 litre bakkie as the daily run around.

Thats our story, lol

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:05 pm »
Is that your M3 CSL in the background also??????!!!  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 03:29:41 am »
Raj you must have petrol coursing through your veins!! And impeccable taste in motors!!  :wink:

I do ! thanks Greenhouse ! :happy2:

Nope Shaun is right i am getting my badges sprayed Gloss black, i have a few other mods to do so i will put them on then !

Is that your M3 CSL in the background also??????!!!  :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

yep  :smiley:

Thanks guys for the kind comments !

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 10:02:36 pm »
you lucky chap! i will own a csl one day!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »
Excuse my current MK5 ignorance,but did you fit the R32 style exaust or did it come like that? :embarrassed:
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:09 pm »
Excuse my current MK5 ignorance,but did you fit the R32 style exaust or did it come like that? :embarrassed:

he had it done at milltek

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 03:11:41 pm »
Where is Raj? Anyone heard from him?  :chicken: