Make a donation

Author Topic: lowering  (Read 8972 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: lowering
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 04:24:30 pm »
it is wise to get the alignment done again after fitting suspension mods. you need to factor the cost of this in as well.  :smiley:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:34 pm »
I am also looking for some springs and currently looking at the Eibach's.

As the ED30 is already a little lower would the 40mm ones not cause problems with speed humps or is this about the correct drop?

As the springs cost about £120-130 and fitted costs seem to be around £300 what is actually involved in fitting them.  Excuse my ignorance but my local mechanic has said he will fit them and I want to make sure he does them right!

Same as any car, simply removing them from the struts at the front and replacing them, the rear is even easier.

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ have the sportlines for £123 inc VAT + £12.50 Delivery

Product Code:   
E20-85-014-02-22

Thats what I thought.  Not sure why some guys are quoting over £300 for supply and installation.

because thats how much it would cost for a garage to do a proper job of fitting them and doing a laser align.

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »
Price didn't include a laser alignment.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:04 pm »
youl need you car aligned afterwards.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »

understood, but i guess i wouldnt get any real advantage as i wont be trackdaying.

just want better handling and look :-|

....I'm not saying that you personally need to go further and get dampers and ARB's but it's not true that someone won't get any real benefit from such suspension mods unless they do trackdays.

I've just returned from a 48-mile run on a twisty and up and down B-road with all sorts of camber changes etc - Ask the biker mate of mine who was in my passenger seat whether suspension mods make a difference on the road - He'll say absolutely! A BIG difference to handling at all speeds. 

8)

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 05:54:48 am »
Are special tools not required to remove and fit the  springs? I'd like some of the ones which only lower a little too slammed, the car looks chavvy and broken IMHO. Arbs would be good since the golfs handling really needs tightening up to get the best out of her in the twisties.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:25 am »

I'd like some of the ones which only lower a little too slammed, the car looks chavvy and broken IMHO. Arbs would be good since the golfs handling really needs tightening up to get the best out of her in the twisties.

....Eibach Pro-Kit springs are probably what you'd like.

Even just ARB's help reduce body roll on what is considered to be an excellent chassis but which can be further improved. It's one of those mods which doesn't get talked about very much as it's not visible!

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Cochese

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 10:15:43 am »
 I would say if you're lowering for looks the Eibach pro aren't really that noticably different. If you want to improve handling and only going for 1 mod then arb's are the one to go for. :happy2:
Pieces of eight!